[News] Cuba - Understanding the difference between pobreza and miseria

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Mar 26 11:57:35 EDT 2010

Understanding the difference between pobreza and miseria

http://machetera.wordpress.com/

Just back from Cuba where he attended the launch
of the Spanish translation of his book,
<http://www.booknoise.net/sciencehistory/index.html>A
People’s History of Science: Miners, Midwives and
“Low Mechanicks” at the Havana International Book
Fair, Cliff Conner posted a brief note about his
visit at the CubaNews listserve.  (The other
People’s History guy, Howard Zinn, called
Conner’s book “a delightfully refreshing new look
at the history of science” and judging from the
standing room only reception Conner received in
Cuba, I’m guessing it’s likely well worth the
read.)  At any rate, Conner’s note apparently
stirred up a hornet’s nest of outrage from a
couple of ex-Cubans, who it seems responded with
the usual tired diatribe about “dissidents,” defectors, etcetera.

Conner’s response is gracious, far more gracious
than I would have been, but then this blog is
called Machetera for a reason.  I asked for
permission to re-post his letter here because I
think it is well worth having as a reference,
especially for those who’d like to make a case
about the Cuban revolution failing to address poverty in Cuba.

People like for instance, Darsi Ferrer, the State
Department’s new “Cuban dissident” poster child,
who aside from his interest in secondhand cement,
is also an aspiring filmmaker.  Really, I’d
rather not call even more attention to this guy
but his
<http://www.cubaencuentro.com/es/multimedia/videos/vivir-en-albergue>film,
co-produced with help from CANF and some German
and Czech “NGO’s” (the Czechs, always the Czechs)
would make you laugh if it were not so deadly
serious.  Darsi, dressed in a white doctor’s
coat, with a stethoscope draped around his neck –
in case you forgot he was a doctor – complains to
the camera in all seriousness about the “miseria”
everywhere in Cuba, caused by inadequate housing
and lack of common medicines.  He does this
monologue without ever breathing a word about the
blockade, while his wife paws through grocery
bags full of clothing straight off the boat from
Miami (was that a magenta thong or brassiere near
the end?), doling out pieces one by one to their
very ordinary and quite healthy looking Cuban
neighbors.  The film begins and returns to shots
of people collecting water from pipes coming out
of a wall, as though this is something terribly
shocking, and you have to think that it is tragic
really that Ferrer couldn’t go do a medical
mission in Haiti so he could learn how people get
their water there.  The whole production is
scored with haunting music from the Holocaust
genre in case you still didn’t get the point, and
I’m sure it plays very well in drawing rooms on
Capitol Hill but it’s junk.  Pure, expensive, U.S. bought and paid for junk.

Here’s Conner:

*     *     *    *

A few weeks ago CubaNews published a report I
wrote of a visit in February to the Havana
International Book Fair, in which I offered some
observations about what I had seen in Cuba. I
received (via some friends I had sent the report
to) a set of thoughtful comments on it from a
couple of Cuban ex-pats. I thought their
commentary was worth a reply, so I wrote one; it
is appended below. (The names of the people I
addressed it to and the names of the Cuban
ex-pats have been changed because I do not have their permission to use them.)

Hi Rhonda and George,

Greetings from Mexico City.

Thanks for sending me Jaime and Alejandro’s
comments on my “report” from Cuba.  Yes, I did
find them very interesting and worthwhile,
although I am quite sure that they and I would
have to “agree to disagree” about a number of
things regarding their former homeland. I will
try to respond to what they wrote point-by-point,
and will ask you to kindly pass this on to them.

Marush and I entirely agree with them about the
tackiness of the Tropicana show, but I described
it the way I did because I didn’t want to seem
like a cultural snob. Besides, on a certain
level, if you suspend your critical judgment, it
can still be quite enjoyable. I also agree that
the renovation process going on in Habana Vieja
is better described as “restoration” than “reconstruction.”

I certainly don’t think of all Cubans living in
the United States as ultra-right-wing fanatics. I
do think that an ultra-right element dominated
the first generation of post-revolutionary
refugees, and still has a lot of political clout,
but it seems that the younger generation (which
apparently includes Jaime and Alejandro) is not
nearly as politically homogeneous as their elders.

Although I wrote my report in a somewhat neutral
voice, I am in fact a strong partisan of the
Cuban economic system in contrast to the system
that afflicts our country and most of the rest of
the world. I adopted the neutral tone because in
the context of the current (abysmally uninformed)
American political discourse, even that will seem
shockingly pro-Cuba to most of the people I sent
it to. I wasn’t trying to be deceptive; I simply
didn’t intend it to be an ideological manifesto.

Of course I recognize that Cuban society is not
simply an abstract “system” but is organized and
governed by fallible human beings. Although I
obviously went there with certain preconceptions,
and with hopes of seeing more positive than
negative, I didn’t go with blinders or
rose-colored glasses on. I was prepared to see it
“warts and all,” and I did see some warts.

However, I think my preconceptions also
“unblinded” me to a number of things that most
apolitical tourists would never notice. For
example (speaking of blindness), it only occurred
to me today, after walking around in Mexico City
for an hour and seeing a shockingly large number
of blind people, that we had walked around the
streets of Havana for ten days and did not see a single blind person.

A cynic might want to believe that the Cuban
government simply hides its “problem people,” but
I think a much better explanation is that there
actually are fewer problem people per capita in
Cuba than there are in other poor countries, and
that is due to a health care system that really
works, and really serves the interests of the
population. (And I did notice indications
confirming my previous research findings that
Cuba is especially advanced in the field of eye care.)

Another small point: the “classic cars” are, as
Jaime and Alejandro say, a stereotype, but if you
think about it, they are indicative of a very
profound and important difference between Cuba
and the United States. They reflect the character
of a society organized according to “waste not,
want not” principles as opposed to one organized
according to the principle of “planned
obsolescence.” That in turn is an indication of
an economy based on rationality as opposed to the
irrationality of the market system. What a
magnificent example of irrationality planned obsolescence represents!

I’ll take that further and say that this is what
I see as Cuba’s most positive aspect: it has a
“system,” including its government, that operates
according to priorities that are rational from
the standpoint of the vast majority of the
population. Contrast Cuba’s universal health care
with the absurdity of the so-called debate on
that subject in our country. How embarrassing is
that comparison for us? And after universal health care is universal education.

Then there is the governmental support for the
arts that I mentioned in my “report.” (One
libertarian friend replied that he would rather
not have any governmental support for the arts
because it could only be a corrupting influence.
I think that is an unduly cynical point of view,
but I acknowledge its legitimacy. As for me, I
would rather see the NEA increasing arts funding
rather than cutting it. Ditto the NEH.)

Here is what in my opinion separates Cuba from
every other country in Latin America and the
Caribbean. There are two Spanish words that are
usually translated into English as “poverty”:
pobreza and miseria. They are not the same thing.

Pobreza is a meager existence, a life of
continuous hard work and struggle to make ends meet.

Miseria, on the other hand, is to be perpetually
mired in filth, degradation, squalor, and
hopelessness (think “slumdog”). There is plenty
of pobreza in Cuba but virtually no miseria. In
all of the other countries a substantial
proportion of the population is wallowing in
miseria, and most of the rest are in pobreza,
alongside small middle classes and extremely
small layers of the obscenely wealthy. But even
the pobreza in Cuba is qualitatively different
from – and preferable to – the pobreza elsewhere.

In the other countries, those in pobreza live in
constant terror of being dragged down into
miseria. In Cuba that fear has been eliminated by
the most solid “social safety net” in the world.
No matter how hard the daily struggle for
existence, no Cuban has to fear that an
unexpected illness will drive them into miseria,
or that their children will be malnourished, or
not be well educated. And although there is
plenty of substandard housing in Cuba (a problem
exacerbated by the 2008 hurricanes), Havana is
still the only capital city in Latin America that
doesn’t include a large, fetid
tin-and-corrugated-cardboard shantytown in its midst.

The whole idea of a rational economy implies one
that is guided by human intelligence, which is to
say, the economy has to be planned. And that
opens up the problem that anything human beings
are involved in can turn out bad. I am fully
aware (as I said clearly in my book) that the
planned economies of the Soviet Union and China
were severely perverted by entrenched bureaucracies.

So what the discussion over Cuba comes down to is
whether the Cuban government, like the Soviet and
Chinese governments, has turned the planned
economy into a machine of self-enrichment by an entrenched bureaucracy.

It is my considered position that the answer is
“no”; that the Cuban economy actually does
prioritize the human needs of its population.
That is something that I believe cannot be said
about any other government on the face of the
earth. (It is also why I think the U.S.
government is so adamant about isolating Cuba as
much as it can from the rest of the world. It
fears its example and the spread of the “rationality virus.”)

Jaime and Alejandro are not entirely accurate in
assuming that our trip to Cuba was simply a
visita dirigida. In the first place, I would
never be so naïve as to think that I could
actually make solid scientific pronouncements
about the state of a society based on a few days
visit, dirigida or otherwise, or even one of several months.

My observations were admittedly impressionistic
and any evidence I cited is anecdotal. But even
impressions and anecdotal evidence can be
worthwhile as long as they aren’t made out to be
more than they are. I also deny that our visit
was fully dirigida. As invited Book Fair guests,
we were offered a number of wonderful
opportunities by the Ministry of Culture, which
we could have turned down, but why would we?

On the other hand, all of the people we visited,
including Georgina, the CP Central Committee
staffer, were on our own initiative and not
foisted upon us.  (She happened to be a friend,
based on time she had spent in the United States,
of one of our American friends.) And finally, we
did visit the homes of several people to whom we were in no sense “directed.”

I knew about the classic cars before we went, of
course, but meeting and riding around with a man
who owned and lovingly cared for one was a
revelation. I also knew about the dual currency
system, but actually experiencing it was worth a thousand second-hand accounts.

We could see the world-famous Coppelia ice-cream
parlor from our hotel window, so one evening we
ventured forth to check it out. As we approached
what we thought was it, we were shooed by a
security guard in another direction and wound up
facing a small ice-cream stand that did indeed
bear the name “Coppelia,” but which we could not
imagine was the one we had heard about, so we
turned around and went back to the hotel.

The next day we returned with our friend Walter
and the mystery was cleared up.  The security
guard apparently thought he was doing us a favor.
He could tell at a glance that we were
foreigners, so he had directed us away from the
main facility that was for Cubans with moneda
nacional in their pockets and toward the one that
was for those of us privileged folk with C.U.C.
The little stand had the great advantage of
having no lines, while the main facility had
long, long lines. Waiting in lines is one of the
things that is most annoying in the lives of ordinary Cubans.

As for other socioeconomic “warts,” what about
prostitutes, beggars, and petty street criminals?
I am told that the increase in tourism has led to
a rise in prostitution, and I have no reason to
doubt it, but it was not obvious.

By comparison, when we were in Beijing recently,
the prostitutes around our upscale hotel were not
at all shy about advertising their wares.

As for beggars, we were not once directly asked
for handouts, but on two occasions after we had
told a street peddler we weren’t interested in
what he was selling, he shifted to a request for
money to feed his hungry children.

By comparison with the streets and subways of New
York, that was rather minimal begging. And as for
street crime, we were warned not to carry
expensive cameras or wear flashy jewelry in some
neighborhoods, and I assume the warnings had some
basis in reality, but we neither saw nor
experienced anything that made us feel unsafe.

On the other hand, nobody warned us against
hailing cabs in Havana, and we took quite a few,
but we have been sternly warned not to do that
here in Mexico City. It seems that it is not
uncommon here for a cab ride to end in the passenger being robbed or worse.

Jaime and Alejandro wrote that “The Cuban sense
of humor is legendary” in the context of telling
a joke the point of which was to make fun of the
shortages and other shortcomings in Cuban society.

The Minister of Culture, Abel Prieto, told us a
number of similar jokes. We heard from others
that he has written and published a book about
that genre of humor. His thesis, if I understood
it right, was that the uptight purists who label
such jokes “counterrevolutionary” are wrong to do
so; that those jokes are a manifestation of
legitimate popular dissatisfaction that shouldn’t
be swept under the rug. If he really did write
such a book, I say bravo for him.

Again, what it comes down to is this: Are the
Cuban Ministers of X, Y, and Z simply bureaucrats
with no concern for the principles they pretend
to uphold (like politicians in every other
country in the world), or do they continue to act
in accord with the principles of the 1959
Revolution? My observations, based not on a
ten-day visit to the island but on forty-plus
years of close Cuba-watching from afar, suggest
that by and large the latter is the case.

The one thing I found offensive in Jaime and
Alejandro’s comments was the placement of the
word “fascist” in a sentence about Georgina,
suggesting that Cuban CP Central Committee
members may be no better than fascists.

If I am right about Cuba having a sociopolitical
system that is worth defending, then Georgina and
her fellow CC workers are in the front lines of
that defense, and I applaud them for it. But if I
am wrong and Cuba is just another run-of-the-mill
“corrupt politics as usual” country, that still
would not justify a comparison with fascism.

Yes, Cuba has a single political party, but
nobody tries to disguise that fact.  The U.S.
“two-party” system, on the other hand, which
offers us a “choice” between two candidates
hand-picked by corporate interests, is an attempt
to bamboozle us into thinking we have a voice in
government. (I almost said “an obvious attempt,”
but it is obviously not obvious enough, because it still seems to be working.)

Jaime and Alejandro say they are proud of young
Cuban doctors who do such good work around the
world, and also of Cuban athletes who do so well
in international competitions, but they are
troubled by the fact that so many defect. They
think it can’t just be about the money, can it?
Well, trouble yourselves no more; the defections
are perfectly understandable if you take into
account the context in which they occur.

First, consider the athletes (and you might also
have mentioned ballet dancers). When we were at
the Cuban National Ballet school we met an
American woman named Mary Jane Doherty who is
making a documentary film about the ballet
school. She told us the story of the recent
defection of a rising teenage star dancer whose
parents encouraged her not to come back from a competition in Canada.

It was a devastating blow to the school and
highly demoralizing to her fellow students. Why
did she do it? Undoubtedly because her parents
were tired of living in pobreza and saw their
daughter’s talent as their ticket to a better
life. As Mary Jane said, who can blame them? But
it had nothing to do with yearning for artistic
freedom or anything as noble as that; it really
was all about the money, and it’s the same with the athletes.

El Duque as a standard bearer for democratic
rights? Give me a break. My own greatest sports
hero was Teófilo Stevenson, who Howard Cosell
ceaselessly castigated as an idiot for refusing
to defect and thereby losing out on the millions
he could earn in the United States.

By the way, although we shouldn’t put too heavy a
moral burden on the young dancer who defected,
let’s not forget that she took with her a major
investment that the rest of the Cuban people had
made in preparing her for stardom. The National
Ballet School gave her, for free, several years
of world-class training without which her great
talent could not have developed.

That gave her an opportunity that girls and boys
from poor families in most other parts of the
world would not have had. If you want to put a
dollar value on that training, we’ll have to wait
to see what value the market rewards her with.
But if she gets rich as a ballet star, she will
really owe it all to the millions of ordinary
Cubans whose sacrifices subsidized her free training.

Most people in the United States will
unthinkingly take the position that the girl had
an unqualified right to defect – no ifs, ands, or
buts. That is a reflection of the reigning
ideology of extreme individualism in which the
individual is everything and the collective is nothing.

In North Korea, the collective is everything and
the individual is nothing. It seems to me that
Cuba has managed to strike the best balance
between the needs of individuals and the needs of
the collective. (Ironically, it is the place
where the abstract individual is exalted to the
sky that allows millions of real flesh-and-blood
individuals to fall through the cracks.)

It must be remembered that the high-profile
defections only have to do with a miniscule
number of highly talented individuals. Just as
basketball can only be the road out of the ghetto
for an infinitesimally small percentage of the
millions of young men dreaming that they may be
the next LeBron James, neither can defection to
the land where streets are paved with gold solve
the social problems of millions of ordinary
Cubans. And yet they are encouraged to pursue those irrational dreams.

(An aside: Did you ever stop to think about why
so much attention is paid to the relatively small
number of poor Cubans who emigrate to the United
States when at the same time a million poor
Mexicans cross the border into the United States every year?)

As for doctors who defect, that is a particularly
sordid story. Are you aware that the United
States runs a special project devoted to luring
those very Cuban doctors you are proud of away
from their overseas missions that serve poor
people who have no other medical care?* There has
to be a special circle in hell reserved for the
despicable officials who thought that one up.

[*]See:
<http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/CubanMedPrf091906.pdf>http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/CubanMedPrf091906.pdf

What I said about tourism and the Cuban economy
was really just an impressionistic riff; I didn’t
intend it to be taken as authoritative. I do
remember that at one time the Cuban economy’s
dependence on sugarcane production made it a
classic example of third world monoculture. And I
continue to believe that tourism will play a
significant role in Cuba’s ability to survive.

I don’t know whether Jaime and Alejandro are
correct in their claim that exile family
remittances account for more income than tourism
at present – I suspect accurate and reliable
figures on that score are hard to come by – but
even if it is true I don’t think it reflects
badly on Cuba. The remittances are usually cited
to suggest that the Cuban economy is artificial
and would collapse without them, but at best they
only partially offset the negative impact of the
U.S. economic blockade. Given the choice between
the remittances and ending the blockade, I’m sure
the Cubans would gladly take the latter.

Furthermore, I would like to offer an alternative
reading of Jaime and Alejandro’s statement that
“Cuba’s dependence, until 20 years ago, was not
on sugarcane but on the largesse of the Soviet Union.”

First of all, the collapse of the Soviet Union
did indeed deal a harsh blow to Cuba’s
noncapitalist economy, but the fact that the
latter has survived for two decades “on its own”
should put to rest any notion that Cuba’s
dependence on the USSR was in any sense absolute.
I would suggest that Cuba’s relationship with the
USSR was not one of dependency but one of equal trading partners.

Free-market ideologues assert that when Cuba
swapped sugar for Soviet oil, the USSR was
“subsidizing” Cuba by selling them oil at a
below-market price and buying sugar at an
above-market price. That, however, implies that
the world market prices of commodities are the “fair” price.

I would argue that they most decidedly are not.
Historically, wealthy countries have had the
financial power to control the terms of
international trade. As a result, prices of
things that poor countries produce – raw
materials, agricultural products – are held low,
and prices for things they have to import tend to rise.

This is a phenomenon known all too well to the
poor countries as the “deteriorating terms of
trade.” There is nothing at all “fair” or
“natural” about world market prices. The terms of
trade that the USSR and Cuba worked out were far
more equitable and, from a moral point of view, far more fair.

I’m afraid I can’t add much more to what I
already said about Cuba’s Jewish community,
although I can say that what Dr. Altshuler told
us supports what Jaime and Alejandro said about its small size.

As for Jaime and Alejandro’s comments about human
rights abuses in Cuba, this is obviously a hugely
important issue for two reasons. First, wherever
people are being victimized, that should be
brought to light, protested, and
stopped.  Second, to the extent that such charges
are true, they damage Cuba’s moral standing in
the international community, and Cuba’s very
survival as a positive example of postcapitalist
society depends in large part on that moral standing.

When I first became a partisan of the Cuban
Revolution more than forty years ago, the charges
I heard of human rights abuses disturbed me
profoundly, so I made an effort to investigate
them the best I could. After a few years of
finding that they were almost all bogus claims of
right-wing exiles, I stopped bothering to investigate.

The one big exception was charges of
institutional repression of gay Cubans, which was
indeed a stain on the Revolution. Over the years,
however, it seems that the situation has changed
for the better. Not to say that there isn’t still
a great deal of anti-gay prejudice in Cuba (in
what country is there not?), but at least the
problem is no longer one of active institutional mistreatment.

Cuban gay rights advocates continue to make
demands on their government to be more proactive
in defending gays against injustices, and it is
encouraging that the loudest of their voices
belongs to none other than Mariela Castro, the
daughter of president Raúl Castro.

The fact that I found most earlier charges of
human rights abuses in Cuba to be unfounded does
not mean that I now simply dismiss Jaime and
Alejandro’s allegations out of hand. I don’t find
it impossible to believe that human rights abuses exist in Cuba.

Pobreza breeds social conflict everywhere, and
Cuba is no exception. And wherever there are
police, the police mentality can lead to human
rights abuses that are simply intolerable. In the
past few days I have seen reports in the Mexican
press of the “women in white” protests in Havana being broken up by police.

I also note that usually trustworthy
international human rights organizations such as
Amnesty International have been critical of
recent Cuban judicial practices. As for the
“women in white,” I see from CNN reports that
after they were arrested they were not jailed but were taken to their homes.

I have not heard the official explanation, but I
suspect it will be that the women were detained
“for their own protection” from much larger
groups of angry counterdemonstrators. I would
have rather seen the police defend the women’s
peaceful protest against the hostile
counterdemonstrators, but I can’t say more than that because I wasn’t there.

Jaime and Alejandro specifically cited the case
of a prisoner named Zamora. I think they are
referring to Orlando Zapata Tamayo, who died in a
Cuban prison recently as the result of a hunger
strike. I don’t want to minimize the seriousness
of this case, but anything more I say about it
would simply be talking off the top of my head.

I hope if his death did arise from an injustice
on the part of Cuban authorities, steps will be
taken to prevent such things from happening
again. (It’s too late to help him.) I am somewhat
encouraged by a CNN report that quoted Cuban
president Raúl Castro as saying that he “lamented
the death of Cuban prisoner Orlando Zapata
Tamayo, who died after leading a hunger strike.”

Jaime and Alejandro asked whether Nadine Gordimer
might write a protest letter on behalf of
political prisoners in Cuban jails as she did for
the Cuban Five who are now imprisoned in the
United States. I can’t speak for Nadine, but I
can say that my own experience suggests that she
would not ignore a request to intercede on their behalf.

When I returned home from Cuba I wrote to her and
asked if she would issue a statement protesting
the incarceration of an American prisoner of
conscience, Lynne Stewart, the courageous defense
attorney who the Bush administration prosecuted
for conspiring with terrorists because she had
served as the lawyer for a man accused of terrorism.

I received a rapid response indicating that
Nadine would investigate the case herself and let
me know her decision. I don’t think that was a
brush-off. She undoubtedly receives hundreds of
similar requests from all over the world every
year, and she is far too independent-minded to simply rubber-stamp them.

At the press conference I attended, I saw her
tell the Cuban press officials she would not
speak until they showed her the Spanish
translation of her statement.  She told me she
wanted to make sure they weren’t slipping in anything she hadn’t actually said.

In general, rank-and-file human rights activists
like myself tend to confine ourselves to
protesting the abuses of our own respective
governments. That is not a matter of hypocrisy or
double standards. Human rights abuses are
intolerable wherever they occur, but our primary
duty is to stand up against those that are committed in our own names.

As Cubans, Jaime and Alejandro understandably
feel most strongly about abuses committed against
their countrymen and countrywomen, but as ex-pats
they do not have any more standing in the eyes of
the Cuban government – probably even less – than
I do to protest them. Nadine Gordimer is a rare
exception whose international reputation forces
governments everywhere to at least hear her protests.

Well, Rhonda and George, when I began this e-mail
I had not intended to hold forth at such length,
but I guess it’s one of those “don’t get me
started” things. The abysmal state of our poor
planet earth is such that tiny Cuba is the only
bright spot I see anywhere. If I had a magic wand
and could wave it and transform all of human
society into one big Cuban-style society, would I
do it? Even if it meant that my own living
standard would decline into pobreza?  In a heartbeat!

To raise the billions of humans who are currently
in slumdog miseria would be well worth it.
Besides, if the rational Cuban economy were a
worldwide system, there’s no reason to think that
even pobreza could not soon be eliminated. As
John Lennon sang, “Imagine!” But since I don’t
have a magic wand, I suppose the world will
either have to find some other way to free itself
from the grip of the market system or else
continue muddling on along its current path to self-destruction.

Cliff