[News] The Beautiful Game, A Beautiful Cause: Why I Root for Argentina

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jun 28 16:41:18 EDT 2010

OK, OK...so i'm biased toward my birthplace...but they played so beautifully!

http://www.thenation.com/blog/36759/beautiful-game-beautiful-cause-why-i-root-argentina

The Beautiful Game, A Beautiful Cause: Why I Root for Argentina

Dave Zirin | June 28, 2010

Before the start of the World Cup, I broadcast my
rooting interest with the obnoxious insistence of
a nuclear-powered vuvuzela: Argentina all the
way. I wanted Argentina to win because their
style of soccer speaks to the full potential of
the beautiful game. I wanted Argentina to win
because few people in the US could pick Lionel
Messi out of a lineup, and he might be the most
electrifying athlete on earth. I wanted Argentina
to win because their coach, the walking, talking
telenovela, Diego Maradona, is just too
entertaining to see pushed off the stage

As Dan Wetzel of yahoo sports
<http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/were-all-living-in-maradonas-world-cup--fbintl_dw-maradona062710.html>described
Coach Maradona [1], “He screams and cheers. He
complains and cajoles. He smiles. He prays. He
blesses himself. He hugs. Actually, he hugs a
lot. He even kisses his players. Pushing 50 yet
wearing earrings and a salt-and-pepper goatee, he
remains the biggest presence in the building –
and that includes his megastar players such as Lionel Messi and Tevez.”

In his playing days, Maradona made people
reconsider the sacred idea that Pele was surely
the greatest player to ever patrol the pitch. He
went from soccer superstar to Argentine folk hero
during the 1986 World Cup, when he “avenged” the
1982 British defeat of Argentina in the Falklands
War by defeating England in the quarterfinals,
with a little help from the
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbbsytHDp2o>"Hand of God." [2]

Maradona's brilliance inspired Eduardo Galeano to
write, “No one can predict the devilish tricks
this inventor of surprises will dream up for the
simple joy of throwing the computers off track,
tricks he never repeats. He’s not quick, more
like a short-legged bull, but he carries the ball
sewn to his foot and he’s got eyes all over his
body. His acrobatics light up the field....In the
frigid soccer of the end of the century, which
detests defeat and forbids all fun, that man was
one of the few who proved that fantasy can be efficient.”

Efficient fantasy is the best way to describe
Argentina’s current run to the quarterfinals. In
a modern world of robotic soccer stratagems, they
play with the wicked grace of decades past. Given
that success breeds imitators, I would argue that
it is in the best interests of international
soccer to see Argentina take it all the way.

For those experiencing this World Cup in the
throes of neutrality, there are political reasons
to support Argentina as well. This has received
next to no media coverage either in their native
Argentina or around the world, but the team has
fully embraced the courageous group of
grandmothers known as Abuelas de Plaza de Mayo.
This organization is devoted to finding out the
truth about the fate of Argentina’s
desaparecidos­the people forever imprisoned or
disappeared by the military dictatorship of Jorge
Rafael Videla - during
Argentina’s<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_War> Dirty War [3]of 1976-1983.

At a training session in South Africa, the entire
Argentine team
<http://www.harpyness.com/2010/06/21/activism-at-the-world-cup/>unfurled
a banner [4] that read, "We Support the
Grandmothers of the Plaza de Mayo for the Nobel
Peace Prize." The group has in fact been
officially nominated for the prize and Abuelas
president Estela de Carlotto, is in South Africa,
meeting with Nelson Mandela and other world
leaders. She has also been publicly
<http://www.mx.terra.com/futbol/mundial/2010/noticias/0,,OI4496306-EI14432,00-En+entrenamiento+Maradona+homenajea+a+Abuelas+de+Plaza+de+Mayo.html>–
and literally - [5]embraced by Maradona. The
critical work that Abuelas has done will only
receive a greater spotlight if Argentina
continues to advance. This makes all those
connected with Argentina’s dirty war, who still
hold tremendous power in the country,
increasingly, and deliciously, apprehensive.

I can certainly understand, and have heard from
numerous people, that these kinds of political
concerns shouldn’t play into our rooting
interests when it comes to the World Cup. It
should just be about the game. But this is like
wishing a double cheeseburger didn’t have
cholesterol. There is simply no sporting event on
earth more entangled in politics than this
brilliantly bombastic tournament. Anytime you
have half the earth tuned in - as colonies play
their former colonizers and dictatorships
challenge democracies - politics follow like
rainbows after rain.  As long as politics are
part of the mix, we might as well support a team
that in addition to epitomizing “the beautiful
game” stands with a beautiful cause. Viva Argentina!

Source URL:
<http://www.thenation.com/blog/36759/beautiful-game-beautiful-cause-why-i-root-argentina>http://www.thenation.com/blog/36759/beautiful-game-beautiful-cause-why-i-root-argentina

Links:
[1]