[News] Haiti Five Months After the Quake

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jun 18 10:41:23 EDT 2010

http://www.counterpunch.org/roth06182010.html
June 18 - 20, 2010

"We Are Motivated"

Haiti Five Months After the Quake

By ROBERT ROTH

  “We have all suffered. But we are motivated
right now to help our people.  That makes us strong. That allows us to go on. ”
- Teacher at a mobile school/ Aristide Foundation for Democracy

It is now more than five months since the January
12th earthquake devastated Haiti. Over 200,000
people have died, and1.5 million are still living
under sheets, tarps and plastic in internal
refugee camps. An Interim Reconstruction
Commission headed by former U.S. President Bill
Clinton has promised that at least $5.3 billion
is in the “pipeline” destined for relief.  Even
though the rainy season is here and hurricanes
are on the way, the UN’s World Food Program
announced in April that it was “winding down” its
initial emergency food distribution program in Haiti.

What is most shocking when one travels to Haiti
is how little aid is visible in the earthquake
zone.  Where is all the money?  Members of our
delegation visited three different refugee
camps.  We heard the same story over and over
again during our visit in late May: no food, poor shelter and no work.

In one camp, close to the airport, 5,000 people
were living with no sanitation, little protective
shelter, and no consistent food distribution.  It
had rained the night before, and the tarps had
flooded.  One woman told us, “We are not treated
as human. We have seen no relief since
February.”  When asked about Haitian president
Rene Preval, a man sitting nearby said, “He may
be the president of the republic, but he is not
our president. We have never seen him.”

This sentiment is widespread in Haiti. A week
before we arrived, large anti-Preval
demonstrations in Port-au-Prince (estimated by
independent observers at 30,000) and other parts
of Haiti called for true democratic elections,
full participation by grassroots organizations in
relief plans, and the return of former President
Aristide to Haiti. Concerned about the rise in
protests, the UN decided to send 600 additional
foreign police officers to augment its force in Haiti.

In a parallel initiative, over 20,000 women have
already signed a petition to President Obama
urging him to end opposition to Aristide’s return
from forced exile in South Africa.  Their
argument is compelling: continuing to banish a
major spokesperson for the poor in Haiti signals
that development and reconstruction will take
place without respecting the voices of those most impacted by the quake.

There is strong evidence that they are
correct.  On June 1, at the most luxurious resort
in the Dominican Republic, Bill Clinton headed
yet another planning session to bring an elite
vision of Haiti to fruition. The “new Haiti”
means Coca-Cola with its Haiti Hope drink. It
means the Royal Caribbean Tour Lines planning a
massive expansion – in coordination with U.S. AID
- of the tourist industry in the north of Haiti.
It means an ever-growing and ongoing UN military
occupation (at latest count, over 13,000 troops
and police).  It means high-powered NGO’s
creating even more infrastructure in the NGO
capital of the world, and corporations lining up
to establish a low-wage assembly sector in Port-au-Prince.

This vision seeks to marginalize the popular
movement that is the real engine of social change
in Haiti. It does not include free and democratic
elections in which all parties – including the
most popular political party, Lavalas (banned
from the last elections) – can participate. That
is why so many Haitians are raising their voices
right now. The earthquake has unleashed a dynamic
grassroots process and highlighted the critical
connection between democracy and development.

Haiti is alive with activity, alive with young
and veteran activists struggling to rebuild while
refusing to accept any limitations on their
democratic or human rights. Take, for example,
the work of the Aristide Foundation for
Democracy, created in 1996 by Jean-Bertrand
Aristide after the end of his first term as
president, a term shattered by a U.S.-supported
coup. Despite a second coup against President
Aristide in 2004 and the repression that
followed, the Foundation is still there. With
limited funding, it has been able to create
mobile schools in five refugee camps, train a
small cadre of Haitian mental health workers who
offer mental health support to those who have
suffered so much in the camps, run a mobile
clinic staffed by Haitian doctors and medical
personnel, develop micro-lending projects for
market women, and support local agriculture with
loans to peasant farmers in the Port-au-Prince area.

The efforts of the Foundation and other dynamic
popular institutions and organizations are tied
to a broader vision, one of real
self-determination and a long-term effort to regenerate democracy.

Haitians know that the “official story” is all
about Bill Clinton and the NGO’s, but they are
writing their own story. It is time we pay attention.

Robert Roth is a co-founder of the Haiti Action
Committee and a board member of the Haiti
Emergency Relief Fund. He most recently traveled to Haiti in late May, 2010.