[News] The Helen Thomas' Resolution & Time for world to confront Israel

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jun 16 11:54:30 EDT 2010

2 articles follow

The Helen Thomas' Resolution by Gilad Atzmon

Monday, June 14, 2010 at 10:08PM
http://www.gilad.co.uk/writings/the-helen-thomas-resolution-by-gilad-atzmon.html?printerFriendly=true

Gilad Atzmon

Those who are  engaged in the Palestinian
solidarity discourse are familiar with two
visions of conflict resolution: the ‘Two State
Solution’ and the  ‘One State Solution’. This
week we have learned about a third possible
resolution that seems to me the most reasonable
and ethical considering the
circumstances.   Helen Thomas, the 89 years old
doyenne of the White House press corps,  sketched
it in one sentence. When asked by a Rabbi holding
a camera: "where should Israelis go", she said
Jews should “get the hell out of Palestine”. When
the Rabbi challenged her, she made it plainly
clear: “they should go home to Poland, Germany, America and elsewhere”

Thomas was quick to be reminded who runs Capitol
Hill. A global war was declared against her.  She
had to resign and to apologise. However, her
brief yet transparently clear solution is sound and should be elaborated upon.

It is an obvious fact that the Israelis do not
belong to the region. The Jewish claim for Zion
i.e. Palestine is beyond pathetic. It is in fact
as ridiculous as a bunch of  Italian settlers
invading London's Piccadilly Circus claiming
their right to return to a land once occupied by
their Roman forefathers. Obviously Italians would
not get away with it, Zionists, on the other
hand, have managed to fool the nations for more than a while.

Unlike our Western politicians and Media, Helen
Thomas was not impressed by the Zionist argument.
Let’s try to understand what she is saying. She
suggests  primarily that Jews don’t belong to
Palestine and Palestine  certainly doesn’t belong
to the Jews. She also argues that the home for
Jews is somewhere else. Thomas suggested for
instance that Jews should go to Germany. Surely
this is not such a rude idea considering the love
Germany pours on Israel. We shouldn’t also forget
that the Israeli nuclear submarines that have
been on their way to the Gulf (according to The
Times), were given to Israel by Germany as a
‘present’ at the time that Israel flattened
Lebanon (2006). If Angela Merkel is sincere, she
should welcome the Israelis to return to her
country and save the world from another world conflict.

As it happens, most Western leaders support the
Two State Solution, they believe that such
a  solution is fair and ethical. I wonder what is
so ethical about it, the Two State Solution
doesn’t address the Palestinian Cause. It largely
ignores the Palestinian Right of Return to their
land, homes, villages, fields and orchards. It
accepts the outrageous circumstances in which
millions of Palestinian refugees will be left dispossessed forever.

Most humanists seem to support the One State
Solution, they are convinced that such a solution
is fair and ethical. Again, I am rather perplexed
here. As much as we accept that sharing the land
is reasonable and ethical, it is completely
foreign to Jewish ideology and Zionism in
particular. Early Zionist immigrants were more
than welcome to share the land with the
Palestinian indigenous population. But they had a
completely different plan in mind, they wanted a
‘Jews only State’. They eventually ethnically
cleansed the Palestinians (1948), Those who
managed to cling  to the land were
eventually  locked behind walls and barbed wire.
The One State Solution dismisses the Jewish
ideology. As much as I myself tend to support the
One State Solution, I am fully aware of the fact
that such a solution may become  possible only
when the Israeli Jewish population gives up its
supremacist ideology. Needless to say that when
this happens,  the Jews in Palestine  would
become Palestinian Jews:  ordinary people of
Jewish ethnic origin  who happen to live on Palestinian land.

Those who are repulsed by Helen Thomas’
resolution, blame her for being discriminatory
towards Jews.  The truth of the matter is that
Thomas’ suggestion is not at all different or
more discriminatory than  the notorious Two State
Solution. While Thomas suggests that millions of
Jews would peacefully go back to their true home,
the Two State Resolution suggests that millions
of  Palestinian refugees would be left with no
home whatsoever. Clearly, the Israeli State
mentions again and again that  it would
never  allow Palestinian refugees to return to their land.

Considering the latest Israeli barbarian military
operations, bearing in mind the disastrous
starvation in Gaza, learning about  the serious
threat to world peace imposed by repeated nuclear
threats made by Israel against its neighboring
States and Iran in particular, we should move the
discourse one step further. We better look at the Helen Thomas’ solution.

Seemingly,  the Rabbi who assaulted Helen
Thomas,  is not impressed by  Thomas’ solution.
He was concerned about six million Jews who
perished in Europe. Someone should remind the
Rabbi that the European Judeocide has nothing to
do with Palestine or the Palestinians. However,
his own behaviour towards  Thomas together with
the Israeli repellent murderous behaviour in the
high seas, in  Palestine, and the Jewish lobbies
around the world, all contribute together to a
necessary revision of the notion of ‘Jewish
suffering’ in history. At the end of the day, our
vision of the past is constantly shaped by our present understandings.

Like the rest of humanity, Old Helen Thomas is
tired of Jewish power and Israeli barbarism, she
touched the nerve exactly where it hurts by
saying the plain truth.  “Get the hell out of
Palestine”. Truth, it seems, echoes ethics and reason.

Article originally appeared on Gilad Atzmon (http://www.gilad.co.uk/).
By SHABANA SYED | ARAB NEWS

Time for world to confront Israel: Gilad Atzmon

http://arabnews.com/opinion/columns/article66233.ece

Israeli-born British jazz saxophonist Gilad Atzmon

According to the famous Israeli-born Jazz
musician, Gilad Atzmon, "The ideology that
carried out execution-style killings on the Gaza
aid flotilla the 'Mavi Marmara' is the same
ideology that carried out the massacres at Deir
Yassin, Qibya, Sabra and Shatilla, Qana, Gaza,
Jenin and the murder of Rachel Corrie ­ more than
that it is the same ideology that killed Christ."

He continues: "there is no biological, racial or
ethnic continuum between the ancient Israelites
and the contemporary Israelis. The attack on the
aid convoy is a continuum of the same ideology
that killed Christ. Christ's killing is a symbol
of a brutal assault against goodness, in the same
way the attack on the aid convoy was against
humanity and compassion." Speaking to Arab News
after the deadly attack on the aid Flotilla where
9 peace activists were shot dead and around 50
injured Atzmon was scathing against Israel's
actions and demanded that it should be stripped of its UN membership.

Atzmon is a former Israeli soldier who now lives
in London. He is not only a renowned author and
writer but also a famous award-winning jazz
musician. Described as a musical genius he has
recorded with the likes of Robbie Williams,
Sinead O Connor, Robert Wyatt Paul McCartney,
Tunisian singer Dhaffer Youssef and countless others.

With a strong presence on and off stage and a
disarming smile, Atzmon has a huge following not
only for his music but for being a unique thinker and philosopher.

Admired for his fearless stance against
oppression, he is also at the forefront of a
taboo discourse that many will not venture into
out of fear of being branded anti-Semite; and
that is the discourse on the Jewish identity, Zionism and Israel.

Because of this stance, he has been branded a
"Jew self-hater." Atzmon smiles: "in fact I
correct them 'I am not only a self-hater but a
proud self- hater.'" The accusations do not deter
him as he is quite vocal about the self-hatred he
feels for the Israeli part of him. He argues: "We
are dealing here with a morbid collective that
sets itself against humanity.” He believes the
reason why he is at the forefront of this
discourse is because he is more able than others
to understand Israeli mentality because, "I come
from them, and I know how they think." He himself
has studied for many years the issue of the
Jewish identity, and in his talks is often found
quoting philosophers like the Austrian Otto
Weininger, Kant, Heidegger, Nietzsche, Lacan,
Marx as well as Eastern philosophers.

He explains: "Israel has violated all
international laws, it has never been held
accountable for the countless massacres."
However, he argues the latest massacre of peace
activists on the aid flotilla with the emerging
forensic reports which suggest Israeli
execution-style killings of the 9 peace activists
has resulted in shock horror around the world.

"The remarkable fact is they don't understand why
the world is beginning to stand against them in
the same way they didn't understand why the
Europeans stood against them in the 1930s.
Instead of asking why we are hated they continue
to toss accusations on others." In his latest
article titled "Jewish Ideology and World Peace,"
he argues: "Within the discourse of Jewish
politics and history there is no room for
causality... Within the Jewish tribal discourse
every narrative starts to evolve when Jewish pain
establishes itself. ...It also explains why for
most Jews the history of the holocaust starts in
the gas chambers or with the rise of the Nazis. I
have hardly seen any Israelis or Jews attempt to
understand the circumstances that led to the
clear resentment of Europeans toward their Jewish neighbors in the 1920s-40s.”

Born and brought up as a Zionist in Israel,
Atzmon believes it was his love of music that
first opened his eyes to the world. "I was
brought up to believe that Jews were the chosen
people and no one was better than us. Then I
discovered jazz and found out that many of the
great jazz musicians were black Afro-Americans.
That was the first dent in the theory of our
greatness and as I picked up the stones more
truths began to come out." At 19, Atzmon was
stationed as a soldier to Lebanon where he saw
for the first time thousands of Palestinians
living as refugees. "We were told that the
Palestinians had left and gone to other Arab
countries, so when I saw thousands of refugees
living without the basics I realized that we had
stolen their land." Atzmon also witnessed the
atrocities the Israeli Army was committing
against the Palestinians; so as soon as he could,
he left the army and left the country for good.

"My studies have shown me that the Jewish
identity is foreign to humanism, it is tribal and
has evolved as an outcome of an exilic culture."
He argues that we can learn a lot about Jewish
collective ideology by looking closely to the
biblical "Story of Esther" which he argues
teaches Jews the art of infiltration into politics and governments.

He continues: "This form of infiltration is
clearly evident in America today where the Jewish
lobby (AIPAC) dominates the political discourse.
Also in Britain we have the British Jewish lobby,
and the 'Friends of Israel', we also have people
like David Aaronovitch, The Times columnist and
Nick Cohen of The Observer, who advocated for war
with Iraq. Both write for the Jewish papers, are
known sympathizers of Israel and have contributed
extensively to the growing Islamophobia in
Britain. Lord Levy, a rabid Zionist was funding
the Labour Party when it went into an illegal war
with Iraq which led to over a million Iraqi fatalities.”

He continues: "We have the likes of David
Miliband the Labour MP; I wonder how many people
know that he is listed on the Israeli propaganda
site as an Israeli propagandist author. Did you
know that under the last government, when
everyone was talking about Israel's killing of a
Hamas leader in Dubai by using forged British
passports, David Miliband was busy attempting to
amend the laws of universal jurisdiction so
Israeli war criminals could enter Britain.”

In his latest article Atzmon writes: "Enough is
enough; it is time to name and shame every
Israeli and Zionist infiltrator within political
circles, media and academia." Maybe it is the
soldier in him but there are not many subjects
that Atzmon is not afraid to confront. The
biggest taboo subject today is to question the
holocaust. In many European countries one can be
jailed for questioning the numbers killed or to
what extent gas chambers were used? Atzmon
however has no fear when he says: "I do not deny
that Jewish suffering took place, I also lost
family in it. However if the established
holocaust narrative is true why do we need laws
to protect it?" He continues: "We want a coherent
narrative open to scrutiny. We owe it to
ourselves, to history to find out the truth and I
don't mean the truth through emotionally charged
Hollywood films. Also I reiterate that those
involved in an academic and historic inquiry
should not be threatened with law suits and abuse.”

To stop further world conflicts, Atzmon believes
that governments should confront Israel. He
argues that unlike the last Labour government
that indulged Israel to continue its brutal
assaults, while its leaders Blair and Brown were
honorary patrons of the Jewish National Fund UK,
the new government has to take a stronger stand.
"In order to end one of the most brutal
occupations of Gaza we need to ban Israeli
aircraft from British airspace, impose EU trade
sanctions against Israel and strip Israel of its
UN membership." For Atzmon the tide is turning
and humanity which is bound together by human
ethics and morals need to stand together against
Israel before it takes us to war with Iran which
according to him "is its next step.”