[News] 107 Israeli Crimes Against Palestinian Journalists

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jun 10 10:44:30 EDT 2010

107 Israeli Crimes Against Palestinian Journalists

By
<http://palestinethinktank.com/author/guest-post/>Guest Post • Jun 10th, 2010
http://palestinethinktank.com/2010/06/10/kawther-salam-107-israeli-crimes-against-palestinian-journalists/

“Israel perpetrated 107 attacks and violations
against Palestinian journalist’s rights since the
start of 2010” said the secretary general and
president of the
<http://pjs-pal.com/ar/>Palestinian Journalist
Syndicate (PJS), Professor Abed Al-Nasser Al-Najjar.

He stated that the Israeli attacks included
beating the journalists, breaking their cameras,
preventing them from covering events, shooting at
them deliberately, arresting and jailing them,
fabricating serious charges, fining them,
imposing high financial fines before releasing
them from detention, declaring the area of work
of journalists as military zones, denying them
the access to occupied Jerusalem.

Al-Najjar said that the last attack against the
Palestinian journalists took place last week,
after a number of journalists, among them people
from Al-Jazeera and Al-Arabiya crews went to
Ashdod to cover the crime of piracy of the
Israeli commandos, in which they abducted the
fleet of freedom and all those were on board. He
added that the Israeli police have beaten up the
Palestinian journalists and that they allowed
dozens of armed extremist settlers to assault them and damage their cameras.

  Al-Najjar added that a number of the
journalists who went to Ashdod are Israeli
citizens from occupied Jerusalem, and that they
also hold the so-called (GPO) press card.
However, they were attacked with all cruelty and
brutality. He said: “The PJS members visited the
office Al-Jazeera and Al-Arabiya in solidarity
with them. We heard the full details of what
happened in Ashdod and we documented the criminal
attack. We submitted an urgent message to the
<http://www.ifj.org/en>International Federation
of Journalist (IFJ) and to Makram Mohammad Ahmad,
the secretary general of the
<http://www.anhri.net/mena/faj/index2004.shtml>Arab
Federation of Journalists (AFJ), demanding them
to take a firm stand against the Israeli crimes”.

Al-Najjar clarified that the PJS had asked the
AJU to call their members for an emergency
meeting in which they could discuss the
possibility of filing complaints at the international courts against Israel.