[News] Chavez: US and Colombia plan to attack Venezuela

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jul 26 15:32:38 EDT 2010

Saturday, July 24, 2010

http://www.chavezcode.com/2010/07/chavez-us-and-colombia-plan-to-attack.html

<http://www.chavezcode.com/2010/07/chavez-us-and-colombia-plan-to-attack.html>Chavez:
US and Colombia plan to attack Venezuela

By Eva Golinger

Caracas, July 24, 2010 – Venezuelan President
Hugo Chavez denounced this Saturday US plans to
attack his country and overthrow his government.
During a ceremony celebrating the 227th birthday
of Independence hero Simon Bolivar, Chavez read
from a secret memo he had been sent from an
unnamed source inside the United States.

“Old friend, I haven’t seen you in years. As I
said to you in my three prior letters, the idea
remains the generation of a conflict on your
western border”, read Chavez from the secret missive.

“The latest events confirm all, or almost all, of
what those here discussed as well as other
information that I have obtained from above”, the letter continued.

“The preparation phase in the international
community, with the help of Colombia, is in plain
execution”, manifested the text, referring to
last Thursday’s session in the Organization of
American States (OAS), during which the Colombia
government accused Venezuela of harboring
“terrorists” and “terrorist training camps” and
gave the Chavez government a “30-day ultimatum”
to allow for international intervention.

The letter continued with more details, “I told
you before that the events wouldn’t begin before
the 26th, but for some reason they have moved
forward several actions that were supposed to be executed afterward”.

“In the United States, the execution phase is
accelerating, together with a contention force,
as they call it, towards Costa Rica with the
pretext of fighting drug trafficking”.

On July 1, the Costan Rican government authorized
46 US war ships and 7,000 marines into their maritime and land territory.
The true objective of this military mobilization,
said the letter, is to “support military operations” against Venezuela.

ASSASSINATION AND OVERTHROW

“There is an agreement between Colombia and the
US with two objectives: one is Mauricio and the
other is the overthrow of the government”,
revealed the document. President Chavez explained
that “Mauricio” is a pseudynom used in these communications.

“The military operation is going to happen”,
warned the text, “and those from the north will
do it, but not directly in Caracas”.
“They will hunt ‘Mauricio’ down outside Caracas,
this is very important, I repeat, this is very important”.

President Chavez revealed that he had received
similar letters from the same source alerting him
to dangerous threats. He received one right
before the capture of more than 100 Colombian
paramilitaries in the outskirts of Caracas that
were part of an assassination plan against the
Venezuelan head of state, and another in 2002,
just days before the coup d’etat that briefly
outsted him from power. “The letter warned of
snipers and the coup”, explained Chavez, “and it
was right, the information was true, but we were unable to act to prevent it”.

US MILITARY EXPANSION

This information comes on the heels of the
decision last Thursday to break relations between
Colombia and Venezuela, made by President Chavez
after Colombia’s “show” in the OAS.

“Uribe is capable of anything”, warned Chavez,
announcing that the country was on maximum altert
and the borders were being reinforced.

Last October, Colombia and the US signed a
military agreement permitting the US to occupy
seven Colombian bases and to use all Colombian
territory as needed to complete missions. One of
the bases in the agreement, Palanquero, was cited
in May 2009 US Air Force documents as necessary
to “conduct full spectrum military operations” in
South America and combat the threat of “anti-US governments” in the region.

Palanquero was also signaled as critical to the
Pentagon’s Global Mobility Strategy, as outlined
in the February 2009 White Paper: Air Mobility
Command Global En Route Strategy, “USSOUTHCOM has
identified Palanquero, Colombia (German Olano
Airfield SKPQ), as a cooperative security
location (CSL). From this location nearly half of
the continent can be covered by a C-17 without refueling”.

The 2010 Pentagon budget included a $46 million
USD request to improve the installations at
Palanquero, in order to support the Command
Combatant’s “Theater Posture Strategy” and
“provide for a unique opportunity for full
spectrum operations in a critical sub region of
our hemisphere where security and stability is
under constant threat from narcotics funded
terrorist insurgencies, anti-US governments,
endemic poverty and recurring natural disasters”.

The May 2009 Air Force document further added
that Palanquero would be used to “increase our
capacity to conduct Intelligence, Surveillance
and Reconnaissance (ISR), improve global
reach
and expand expeditionary warfare capability”.

In February 2010, the US National Directorate of
Intelligence (NDI) classified Venezuela as
“Anti-US Leader” in the region in its annual threat assessment.

The US also maintains forward operation locations
(small military bases) in Aruba and Curazao, just
miles off the Venezuelan coast. In recent months,
the Venezuelan government has denounced
unauthorized incursions of drone planes and other
military aircraft into Venezuelan territory, originating from the US bases.

These latest revelations evidence that a serious,
and unjustified conflict is brewing fast against
Venezuela, a country with a vibrant democracy and
the largest oil reserves in the world.