[News] The July 26th Movement and the Gains of the Cuban Revolution

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jul 26 12:24:30 EDT 2010

Commemorate the July 26th Movement and the Gains of the Cuban Revolution

Today marks the 57th anniversary of the historic
attacks on the Moncada and Carlos Manuel de Cespedes Barracks in Cuba.

On July 26, 1953, the Cuban revolutionary forces
launched two attacks against the Batista Regime,
one against the Moncada Barracks in Santiago de
Cuba and the other against the Carlos Manuel de
Cespedes Barracks in the city of Bayamo. The
Moncada Barracks was the military center of the
Batista regime in the south and its second largest and most powerful garrison.

The attacks were executed by a new organization
that was created in the mid-1952, under the
leadership of Fidel Castro and Abel Santamaría.
It was a clandestine revolutionary organization,
as yet unnamed, made up of young workers,
students, employed persons, artisans, campesinos
from different parts of the island. It had around
1,500 members and the organization affiliated
itself with previous revolutionary Cuban figures
such as Eduardo Chibás and José Martí. About 120
youths were part of these attacks, approximately
70 of whom were massacred during or after the
event. Others, including Fidel, were subsequently
arrested, tortured, tried and/or executed. Many,
including Fidel, were released after an amnesty
in May 1955. This amnesty was the result of the
mass mobilization of Cubans in support of the
imprisoned rebels. For example, starting in 1955,
mothers of some prisoners and other Cuban women
organized a campaign to free the imprisoned
rebels. Civil society, including editors,
intellectuals and even political leaders, issued
a public appeal demanding “liberty for the
political prisoners.” That year, the Cuban
Congress passed a bill granting general amnesty
to political prisoners. After being signed by
Batista, the imprisoned rebels were freed.

escalated its repression of the progressive
forces as never before, launching mass arrests of
any deemed suspicious, imposing extensive
censorship and suspending constitutional rights.
In other words, the reaction of the Batista
regime was to immediately and viciously
criminalize the youth for their aspirations for a
better world. They were attacked as violent,
troublemakers and slandered. Batista’s regime
knew very well that though the forces were
defeated, it would inspire the Cuban youth and
revolutionaries, all those who wanted a new Cuba,
to see the possibility of it, to think bravely and defiantly.

It is also important to put these events in a
broader historical context for Cuba. For
centuries, the Cuban people fought for their
liberation from the yoke of colonialism. This
struggle was waged by a population predominantly
made up of the descendents of African slaves
brought into Cuba after the indigenous population
was wiped out, and mulattos. This history
showcases many amazing fighters and leaders still
venerated in Cuba and around the world today such
as Jose Marti. As the 1800s came to a close, the
revolutionary Cuban forces were ever nearing
their dream of liberation and dignity. A Republic
was established through these efforts. Yet the
U.S., the new rising Empire, would not stand for
this. Through aggressive policies and coups
d’état, the Batista regime was brought into power
with its unprecedented servility to the U.S. and
its interests, undermining the Republic and its
Constitution. In this context emerged what is
called the Centenary Generation, the generation
led by Fidel Castro, synthesizing 50 years of
struggle against servile U.S. governments in
Cuba. At that time, the youth were at the
forefront of the struggle, and the University of
Havana became one of the centers of opposition to
the government. Thus, the July 26 attacks were a
continuation of a long history of struggle in
Cuba, and were a link in a long chain that led to the 1959 Revolution.

Though the battle was lost that day, it made it
possible for the war to be won, to liberate Cuba
from U.S. dictate and establish a people’s
government. Thus, the significance is that of
taking a stand. The Cuban people planted their
flag and said to all those willing, here is the
battle, here is where to follow. Today, the
Barracks are now a school and the Museum of the
Revolution. The date on which the attack took
place, July 26, 1953, was adopted as the name of
the revolutionary July 26th Movement which
eventually took power in 1959. When Fidel was
arrested after the attacks, he defended himself
in the court. His four-hour defence was recorded
by the court and became the platform for the July 26th Movement.

Some passages of his defense entitled “History Will Absolve Me”:

“
 Fundamental matters of principle are being
debated here, the right of [people] men to be
free is on trial, the very foundations of our
existence as a civilized and democratic nation are in the balance.

“Why were we sure of the people’s support? When
we speak of the people we are not talking about
those who live in comfort, the conservative
elements of the nation, who welcome any
repressive regime, any dictatorship, any
despotism, prostrating themselves before the
masters of the moment until they grind their
foreheads into the ground. When we speak of
struggle and we mention the people we mean the
vast unredeemed masses, those to whom everyone
makes promises and who are deceived by all; we
mean the people who yearn for a better, more
dignified and more just nation; who are moved by
ancestral aspirations to justice, for they have
suffered injustice and mockery generation after
generation; those who long for great and wise
changes in all aspects of their life; people who,
to attain those changes, are ready to give even
the very last breath they have when they believe
in something or in someone, especially when they
believe in themselves. The first condition of
sincerity and good faith in any endeavor is to do
precisely what nobody else ever does, that is, to
speak with absolute clarity, without fear. The
demagogues and professional politicians who
manage to perform the miracle of being right
about everything and of pleasing everyone are,
necessarily, deceiving everyone about everything.
The revolutionaries must proclaim their ideas
courageously, define their principles and express
their intentions so that no one is deceived, neither friend nor foe.

“But I do not fear prison, as I do not fear the
fury of the miserable tyrant who took the lives
of 70 of my comrades. Condemn me. It does not matter. History will absolve me.”

from
http://cubacanada.org/activities/commemorate-the-july-26th-movement-and-the-gains-of-the-cuban-revolution