[News] Charging Wikileaks Source: The Nail in the Coffin of Whistblowers

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jul 7 10:44:29 EDT 2010

Original Content at
http://www.opednews.com/articles/Charging-Wikileaks-Source-by-Jesselyn-Radack-100707-862.html

----------
July 7, 2010

Charging Wikileaks Source: The Nail in the Coffin of Whistblowers

By Jesselyn Radack

Even the
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/06/AR2010070602330.html>Washington
Post gets it. In its article on the criminal charges brought against
Army intelligence analyst Pfc. Bradley Manning, the sub-headline to
the article reads:

U.S. TAKING TOUGH LINE ON LEAKS

The opening paragraph states that the military charging Bradley Manning

is likely to further deter would-be whistleblowers.

I don't care if it's Bush or Obama at the helm. The biggest crimes of
our generation--torture, warrantless wiretapping, and extraordinary
rendition--would not have come to light but for the unauthorized
disclosure of classified information. For the hand-wringing "but we
can't willy-nilly reveal classified information" crowd, do you think
Abu Ghraib wasn't classified?
We are told (though there has been not a shred of evidence other than
the government saying this, and even the charges do not reflect this
number) that Manning gave some 250,000 classified State Department
cables to Wikileaks.org. All we really KNOW is that the website
published a horrific video of an American helicopter massacring
unarmed Iraqi civilians, including children, and the shooters
cheering on each other as if it were a video game.

And the former senior National Security Agency (NSA) official Thomas
Drake? The party line is that he "leaked" classified material to a
newspaper. If you read the indictment, he has really been indicted
under the Espionage Act, a 93-year-old law meant to catch spies, for
allegedly "retaining" classified information. What the government is
really mad about is that an article appeared in the Baltimore Sun
describing how and why the NSA opted for an billion-dollar, failed
invasive surveillance program called "Trailblazer" over one that
could more adequately collect intelligence information without
violating people's privacy.

Short of killing someone (think Karen Silkwood, and more recently, of
the "worldwide manhunt" for Wikileaks founder Julian Assange launched
by the Pentagon), this is the worst, and increasingly popular, form
of retaliation that can be taken against a whistleblower: criminal
prosecution for revealing the truth--which in both the Manning and
Drake cases did no harm to national security, but instead committed
the far worse "crime" of embarrassing the government. In fact, both
these men were trying to expose conduct they thought, and that was, illegal.

I urge you to "like" the
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Tom-Drake/128268337206799?v=wall>Save
Tom Drake page on Facebook and to check out the
<http://www.bradleymanning.org/>Help Bradley Manning website.

The essence of Government is power; and power, lodged as it must be
in human hands, will ever be liable to abuse.
--James Madison

reprinted from <http://jesselyn-radack.dailykos.com/>Dailykos.com
with author <http://jesselyn-radack.dailykos.com/>permission

Author's Website: http://www.patriotictruthteller.net

Author's Bio: My name is
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesselyn_Radack>Jesselyn Radack and I
am the former Justice Department ethics attorney and whistleblower in
the case of "American Taliban" John Walker Lindh. In today's issue of
The National Law Journal (Feb. 19, 2007), I have an Op-Ed entitled
"Targeting Lawyers" on what it really looks like when the government
tries to control attorneys acting on behalf of terrorism suspects
and, if it cannot control them, punish them. I speak from personal
experience in being blacklisted by this Administration.