[News] Maradona: the anti-imperialist perfect ten

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jul 2 10:40:33 EDT 2010

Maradona: the anti-imperialist perfect ten

July 1, 2010

http://machetera.wordpress.com/2010/07/01/maradona-the-anti-imperialist-perfect-ten/

José Steinsleger – La Jornada

Translation: Machetera for Tlaxcala

In journalism schools, when young people learn
about the concept of “news,” their teachers
resort to a classic example: news is when a
person bites a dog, not the other way round.  But
just this past March in Buenos Aires, Diego
Maradona’s dog bit his upper lip, and the news flew round the world.

The star was rushed to emergency surgery
(stitches and facial surgery) and experts on the
subject turned their attention to the grotesque
Bella, a costly example of the Chinese Shar Pei
species.  With serene, balanced, affable
characters, Shar Pei can react unpredictably if
one looks them in the eye, face to face.

Whatever he says, or doesn’t say, does or doesn’t
do, Maradona is always news.  And leaders like
Fidel Castro, Hugo Chávez, Evo Morales, Néstor
Kirchner or Mahmoud Ahmedinejad understand that
the star’s political messages move the
consciousness of the poor and exploited on five continents.

With some disdain, the elite on the left and
right agree: he is a diva, alienated, crazy,
demagogue, opportunist, degenerate, media
phenomenon, cocaine-addict, populist,
myth
myth?  A myth, I believe, is the sublimation
of intellectually inflated references and
abstract imagined theories to avoid practical
adherence to the real and concrete.

 From poverty, to soccer and fame, from the abyss
of cocaine and treatment in Cuba for his
addiction, the best player of the twentieth
century according to FIFA (53.6 percent of those
polled) has proven himself to be a generous and
grateful man.  In 2000, he donated the royalties
from his biography “I am Diego” to the people of
Cuba and to Fidel, and ever since, he has carried
a tattoo of Che on his right arm and one of the Comandante on his left calf.

Liberals can’t stand Maradona.  Is it because his
speeches barely trouble the powerful?  In
contrast, the right wing mob and parrots of world
power are alarmed to hear his statements in favor
of player unionization (the soccer workers, he
says), and the eventual impact that this would
have on the businesses in this industry that move
billions in cash every second.

In clear, fierce, confrontational struggle,
Maradona has leaned on his untouchable fame in
order to liberate, upward and to the right,
ideals that correspond politically to those below
and to the left.  And alas, here lies the real
substance of his differences with Pelé, the Uncle
Tom of global capitalist soccer.

In November of 2005, motivated by the historical
presidential summit in Mar del Plata (where the
free trade project for the Americas, ALCA, was
buried), the people closely followed Maradona’s
thinking.  Before boarding the so-called ALBA
train (the Spanish acronym for the Bolivarian
Alliance for the People of Our America), that
left from Buenos Aires for Mar del Plata along
with then presidential candidate Evo Morales, the
musician Manu Chao, and the Serbian film director
Emir Kusturica, Diego told the media: “I ask
Argentineans to understand that we are heading
for dignity, to defend what is ours
It’s a matter
of pride to be on this train in order to
repudiate the trash that is Bush
If I had him
under the goal, I’d tear his head off with a well
placed ball.”  It was a statement of faith that
the obsessed Boca Juniors fans accompanied with
bands of street musicians and bass drums.

In December of 2007, after a game with Brazil,
Maradona was in the locker room where he met
Iran’s charge d’affaires, and expressed his
admiration for President Ahmadinejad.  “I’ve
already met Chávez and Fidel.  Now I want to get
to know your president
I’m with the Iranians from
the bottom of my heart, honestly I say: I’m with the people of Iran.”

Kusturica presented the documentary Maradona at
the Cannes film festival in 2008, and spared no
praise toward someone who is seen as a god by his
followers.  He observed: “He creates magical
moments.  If we were to compare soccer’s
popularity in imperial Roman terms, he'd be
qualified to be a god.”  Which led El Diez
[Number Ten] to hurriedly respond that he didn’t
feel like a god, “but if the people consider me
one, I’m not going to contradict them.”  Maradona
has altars in his honor in Naples, and after the
God-granted goal against England (México, 1986),
the Scottish Tartan Army team included him in
their anthem.  And in Rosario (birthplace of Che
and Messi), fans founded the Church of Maradona
in 2003, its era beginning in 1960, the year El Diez was born.

Maradona’s political convictions and faith are
something to watched.  Once, after hearing the
Pope and seeing the golden ceilings in St.
Peter’s Basilica, his voice echoed down the
hallways of the Vatican: “The church – according
to the press – assures us that it is worried
about poor kids.  So: sell the ceilings, man!  Do something!”

Understanding something about destiny, the
technical director of the Argentinean team dealt
calmly with Bella’s bite.  And upon seeing that
he'd been lodged in Room 606 at the Los Arcos*
hospital, he took it as a sign of good luck.  Or
is there anyone alive who doesn’t know that for
Chinese gamblers, the number 6 stands for a dog,
in the interpretation of dreams?

*Translator’s note: the Spanish word for a soccer goal is “arco.”