[News] Lenore Daniels on Safiya Bukhari

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Feb 4 14:39:13 EST 2010

Safiya Bukhari: The War Before
Represent Our Resitance

By Lenore J. Daniels, PhD
BlackCommentator.com
2/4/2010

“Tell No Lies and Claim No Easy Victories”

Kids aren’t learning it, because we’re not
spreading the history ourselves. In Africa, they
had griots. So we have to be the modern-day storytellers.

Safiya Bukhari died in 2003. She was just 53
years old. It saddens me to know this courageous
woman no longer walks this Earth, and that I
didn’t know of her or her work while she was physically here.

I began reading her collection of essays
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1558616101?ie=UTF8&tag=blackcommenta-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1558616101>The
War Before: The True Life Story of Becoming a
Black Panther, Keeping the Faith in Prison, and
Fighting for Those Left Behind, published by The
Feminist Press and edited by political activist,
Laura Whitehorn, just after a 7.3 earthquake
struck Haiti. As I watched or listened to news
reports trying to blanket the whole of
traumatized community in Port-au-Prince and
surrounding areas as “looters,” and I watched the
U.S. Empire, 8 days after the man-made
catastrophe send its U.S. Marines (some 20,000
now) to take control of Haiti’s airport and
“secure” the country. I am reading Bukhari’s
account of brutality at the hands of local police
because she decided to stand in solidarity with
her community, and I think of the long struggle
of Haitians against European colonists, against
U.S. occupation, against U.S.-backed dictators
and UN trained Haitian National Police (HNP), and
against the U.S.’s economic agenda to privatize
Haiti’s national resources. Then I realize her
daughter, Wanda Jones, in the “Preface,” Angela
Y. Davis in the “Forward,” and Whitehorn in the
“Introduction” were mistaken - Safiya Bukhari is alive!

To an Empire, hell bent on repressing if not
killing the spirit of love and compassion among
and for the poor and working class communities,
the images of Haitians using their bare hands to
rescue fellow Haitians and organizing
neighborhood response units warranted security
measures just as it did when Bukhari, a Black
woman with a young daughter, decided to take
responsibility for an extended number of children
in Harlem through the Black Panther’s Free
Breakfast for Children program. The HNP, trained
by the United Nations Stabilization Mission in
Haiti (MINUSTAH) team, reports Kevin Pina, has
been responsible for “summary executions,
arbitrary arrests, and the killing of unarmed
demonstrators,” the masses of poor and working
class Haitians, who simply want the return of
their president, Jean Bertrand Aristide. The
mission to stabilize Haiti with violence is one
Bukhari would recognize as a COINTELPRO mission.
Just as Lavalas, the Peoples’ Party, Aristide’s
Party, has fought since 1994 to feed, educate,
defend the Haitian poor and working class while
exposing the brutality of the foreign police and
military operations against the people, the Black
Panthers, too, sought to expose how the police
systematically targeted the Black population even
before its members became aware of how COINTELPRO
systematically targeted them. Safiya Bukhari’s
collection of essays again and again refers to
the traumatic affects of COINTELPRO on the Black
community, particularly the Black Panthers, sworn
to feed, educate, and defend the community.

The corporations receive a ruling from the
Supreme Court: Give all the money you want to
political candidates! CEO’s brag about the
millions they will receive this year in bonuses
after receiving trillions from taxpayers who
saved an economic system that permits Wall Street
and the corporations to continue their rule. In
the meantime, Black unemployment is just over 16
percent. Yes, nothing short of a revolution is
needed to end the oppression of the poor and
working people. You think that the U.S. Empire’s
emphasis on security operations, renamed and
globally expanded operations of COINTELPRO, is
unrelated to the systematic targeting of the poor
and working class people around the world? The
U.S., says Professor Philip Brenner, recently on
Focus on Cuba, WBAI, (1/25/2010), “doesn’t define
security the way other countries define it.”
Generally the term refers to an attack against
your homeland. But Homeland Security wasn’t
established until 2002 and that means, Brenner
explains, that the defense Department is about
expanding Empire. “Security is bound up in the protection of its Empire.”

The common enemy for domestic and foreign
struggles against oppression is, Bukhari writes,
“racism, capitalism, and imperialism.” It is no
accident that COINTELPRO and MINUSTAH are
activated to respond to the poor and working
class within and without the U.S. or that the
U.S. sent 20,000 Marines to Haiti while blocking
other nations from delivering water, food, and
medical supplies to a people thirsty, hungry,
dying of serious injuries as a result of being
crushed by collapsing cement buildings. As
Brenner explains, the U.S. is the only country in
the world that maintains its “vital interests” -
that is, “vital” as in necessary for life - are
global! The U.S. works to save the life of the
capitalists at the expensive of the poor and
working class, and it is not beyond the use of
fascist repressive tactics to achieve its goals.

I hear Bukhari reiterate that nothing short of a
revolution “will eradicate the racism,
capitalism, and imperialism that oppress me and
my people as well as other exploited and
oppressed people everywhere.” The “capitalist
system of this country has to be destroyed and
replaced with an economic system built on the
premise 'From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.’”

Freedom vs. Equality
Bukhari is a woman! It’s so refreshing to read
the thoughts of a woman who found her
revolutionary role as a movement thinker and
activist. While she worked as a member of the
Black Panthers and the Black Liberation Army, as
a citizen in the Republic of New Afrika, and as a
co-founder of the Jericho Movement, she wrote and
re-worked her essays, as Whitehorn explains, not
because she was “thinking about leaving her papers to posterity.”
She was thinking about writing in the moment as
part of her organizing work. She wrote these
pieces and gave these speeches and interviews out
of her enormous passion for change and her
rock-solid loyalty to political prisoners.

The War Before is the work of a thinker, a
theorist, a writer, and yes - an activist who not
only tried to record the moment of action, but
also tried to evaluate the past to understand
what led to a specific course of behavior on the
part of the protagonist(s) and antagonist(s) in
the grand narrative of resistance and counter
resistance. It wasn’t Bukhari’s intention to see
her collection of work as text, as Whitehorn
explains, but for Bukhari, this work of writing
(thinking) was part of producing the revolutionary many knew as Safiya Bukhari.

I am reminded of Dr. Martin Luther King who
re-wrote and re-told passages or Biblical stories
in his speeches and writings, depending on
necessity and the audience. At other times I
thought of the novelist William Faulkner who
spoke of his struggles to tell the story of the
South, the story of its violent foundation, with the writing of each novel.

it was with Bukhari. In several of her essays and
speeches, she returns to the issue of violence
against the poor and working class through
educational institutions, poor health care,
police harassment in the neighborhoods, and
through hate-filled propaganda used to demonize
political activists and political prisoners, in
particular the Black Panthers. A number of the
essays not only record what the Black Panthers
did right (the Free Breakfast for Children
Program and the Ten-Point Program, for example)
but also considered how the Black Panthers were
destroyed from within by the activities of the
FBI’s COINTELPRO. The U.S. has become a State
obsessed with “security.” COINTELPRO is still
with us. It’s called the “War on Terrorism” or
it’s a mission concerned with stabilizing the
population through a oppressive economic agenda.

So Bukhari begins by reflecting on the definition
of “security.” In the battle of security -
COINTELPRO’s surveillance and assassination
program and the Black Panther’s program to defend
the community against violence - how did the
former succeed? What is the meaning of
“security”? Security, Bukhari writes, means
“freedom from danger, fear, and anxiety.” To have
“security” means you are enabled “to trust your
comrades implicitly and to know with certainty
what they will do in any circumstance is the best
security
 [for] the basic element of security is trust.”

Secrecy is counterintuitive to security. Secrecy
becomes a weapon the enemy can employ against the
individual or the group. “What the police know,
the people should know.” Like snakes, secrets
crawl from the media, to the next-door neighbor,
and back around to other comrades, producing a
venomous atmosphere of mistrust, insecurity.
“What the police know, the people should know.”
Take one weapon from the police.

In an atmosphere of mistrust, insecurity, the
Black Panthers and other activists, Bukhari
suggests, lost sight of the revolutionary goals.
Settling for easy, short-sighted gains to easy
the suffering, too many Blacks, she writes,
equated “freedom” with “equality.” The former
means you want the ability to determine for
yourself, without social and political pressures,
tainted as they are by racism, how you want to
live your life and what you want to achieve for your family and community.

Equality (uniformity, conformity, likeness), on
the other hand, is not the same as freedom. Do
you want the same things, the “same access to
things that the next door person has”? Or do you
want freedom? I see that the Black community
doesn’t ask this question anymore. We seem to
want equality in the Empire! We want to be equal
partners in racist, capitalist, imperialist
agendas. What kind of victory does equality represent for the many?

“What is out goal?” The enemy never loses track
of its goal to eliminate the Black Panthers then
and now. It never loses track of its goal to
eliminate political activists and ultimately stifle the movement for freedom.

What’s left of the movement, Bukhari writes, has
been “bogged down in a quagmire of infighting,
backstabbing, manipulation, and one-upmanship.”
Instead of remaining steadfast in revolutionary
convictions, Bukhari writes, the Black Panthers
“practiced liberalism.” The split in the Black
Panther Party in 1971 was the result, she writes,
of members harboring ill will and believing
rumors “without investigation.” In turn, we
allowed this to go on until it grew so large that
we believed the only way out was fratricide. If
we had nipped it in the bud, COINTELPRO would not
have been able to do its job. A lot of comrades
would not have been killed, many more would not
have ended up in prison for all those years, and
countless others would not be members of the class of walking dead.

For Bukhari some members of the Black Panthers
and other political activists took their eyes off
the goal of freedom, in a war to eradicate
racism, capitalism, and imperialism. I hear her
saying that ultimately as activists, many of us
deserted the struggle for the rights of the poor and working class.

Bukhari redoubled her own efforts to achieve the
goal of freedom realizing war for substantial
change in human relations doesn’t yield easy victories for the few.

“They Create a War Atmosphere”
In 2002, Bukhari wrote an Afterward to the first
essay in The War Before, “Coming of Age: A Black
Revolutionary” which was written in 1979. She was
asked to attend a conference organized by
Professor Joy James who was a professor then of
Afrikana Studies at Brown University. The
conference was titled “Imprisoned Intellectuals:
A Dialogue with Scholars, Activists, and (Former)
US Political Prisoners on War, Dissent, and
Social Justice.” Bukhari writes that she had not
thought of herself as an “intellectual” or a
“prison intellectual.” The term “intellectual”
had been an “anathema” to her. But she was forced to “face a reality.”

I was there because I had spent time in prison
writing and thinking. Thinking and writing.
Trying to put on paper some cogent ideas that
might enable others to understand why I did some
of the things I had done and the process that had
brought me/us to the point we were at. I had come
to the conclusion that if we didn’t write the
truth of what we had done and believed, someone
else would write his or her version of the truth.

She realized that so many citizens of the U.S.
including Blacks believe what they have been told
by the police and other governmental agencies
about the Black Panthers, activists in general
and political prisoners of the struggle. “The
government and the media,” says Bukhari in a CBS
TV video, CBS Tries the New York Three, “have
conned us into blaming the victims for what was
done to them under COINTELPRO.” At one point she
asks: How do we (re)engage this war? How do we
push back the State? Well, we must speak; we must
write; we must intervene in that narrative of
violence compiled by the U.S. government.

Bukhari’s role as a revolutionary hadn’t been
planned. One of 10 children, Bukhari’s parents
taught her and her siblings to believe that with
the “right education” they could “make it.”
Bukhari tells us that she had decided to be a
doctor. In her second year of college, she joined
a sorority whose yearly projects included “work
in the ghettoes of New York” among the
“disadvantaged.” At the time, Bukhari didn’t
think there were “disadvantaged” people in the U.S.

In Harlem, she volunteered with the Black
Panther’s Free Breakfast program to serve food to
hungry children. Soon after she began this work,
she realized fewer and fewer children were coming
to receive food. Bukhari says she questioned the
children and discovered that the police had told
parents that the program was feeding the children
“poisoned food.” This incident was followed by another.

On a corner in Harlem, a Black Panther was
attempting to sell the Panther newspaper on the
corner when two policemen insisted he move away.
Bukhari was walking by with a friend; both of
them stopped to listen. The young man insisted he
could sell the paper there. Then “without
thought,” she writes, “I told the police that the
brother had a constitutional right to disseminate
political literature anywhere.” The police turned
on her, asking for her identification and
proceeded to arrest her, her friend (another
woman) and the brother. She had never been arrested before.

At the 14th Precinct, the women were strip
searched. “After the policewoman searched me,”
writes Bukhari, “one of the male officers told
her to make sure she washed her hand so she would not catch anything.”

When Bukhari was released the next day, she went
back to Harlem, and “joined the Black Panther
Party.” This was 1969. In the next two years, she
writes that she “had seen friends and loved ones
killed or thrown into prison.” Others, she
believed, “would never turn state’s evidence” do
so and melt “into the woodwork.” In the meantime,
by 1973, the police were becoming more suspicious
about her and what she “might be doing.” She was
“actively and vocally supported BLA members.”

And so the authorities wait. Then the day came.

January 25, 1975. Bukhari is in Virginia with
members of the Amistad Collective of the BLA to
practice night firing in the country. The group
had to start out for Jackson, Mississippi that
evening, so they decided to stop at a store “to
pick up cold cuts for sandwiches.” The men were
to stay in the car while Bukhari offered to enter the store.

I entered the store, went past the registers,
down an aisle to the meat counter and started
checking for all-beef products. I heard the door
open, saw two of the brothers coming in, and did
not give it a thought... but out of the corner of
my left eye, I saw the manager’s hand with a rifle pointed toward the door.

Bukhari hid in the aisle. Shooting began. Then
she saw Kombozi Amistad walking toward her. “As
he approached, he told me he had been shot. I did
not believe him at first, because I saw no blood
and his weapon was not drawn.” Just then, she
witnessed another Panther, Masai Ehehosi, who
became her codefendant, receive a bullet in the
face. While she tried to comfort Kombozi, the
store manager and his son approached her and
Kombozi. Paul Green Sr. and Jr. begin stomping
Kombozi to death, as Bukhari records, “in front of my eyes.”

The authorities declared the killing of Kombozi
“justifiable homicide.” The next day, the FBI
held a press conference to announce to the public
that Bukhari “was notorious, dangerous, etc., and
known to law enforcement agencies nationwide.”

“They create a war atmosphere.”

Sentenced to 40 years for armed robbery, (she was
released in 1983), Bukhari was placed in maximum
security at the Virginia Correctional Center for
Women in Goochland. The following year, she
writes, she began hemorrhaging from tumors.
Bukhari tried to seek medical attention but was
repeatedly denied. “The general feeling was that
they could not chance hospitalization for fear I
would escape; as such, they preferred to take a
chance on my
life<http://www.blackcommentator.com/subscriptions/subscriptions_menu.html>”
(my emphasis). Bukhari considered escaping and
ultimately did so only to be captured and
returned to isolation once again in a maximum
security cell. But she didn’t give up. As Bukhari
writes, the private/personal became a
public/collective struggle to expose the “the
level of medical care at the prison” and to put
pressure on the prison to give her the care she
needed. Finally, in 1978 she underwent a
hysterectomy because, as she explains, by then,
“I was so messed up inside that everything but one ovary had to go.”

But the following year, Bukhari found the power
of the pen! She began to write because women in
the prison had to be organized. Organizing
thought precedes organizing people. As Bukhari
writes, she observed the oppressor “play a
centuries-old game on Black people - divide and
conquer.” As Bukhari explains, under pressure,
Black women sold Black men “down the river” while
the State follows up by separating these women from their children.

She witnessed Black women no longer focused on
family and community, and “us as a people.”
Instead, the younger women were “about looking
good, having fun, and ‘making it.’” As detached,
lost elements of the collective spirit, these
women become difficult to educate and to organize
because they have become more manageable clogs of
the Empire. The State, Bukhari acknowledges,
prefers this anomaly rather than the Black
mother, wife, daughter, and woman in general, who
stand by and, in many cases, fight “beside their
men when they were captured, shot, or victimized
by the police and other agents of the
government.” Frightened of “the potential of
Black women to wreak havoc when these women began
to enter the prison and jails in efforts to
liberate their men,” she concludes: the State’s
war attempts to destroy any concept of
family/community (private/public resistance
campaigns) outside as well as inside the prison walls.

The Struggle Continues
We are fighting to be human beings, to not have
to accept roles as the tamed Negro, someone who
acknowledges and submits to the superiority of
the rulers by adjusting and conforming to
comfortable embodiments of the familiar but still
Other entity. We should reject the rulers’ plan
to create us in their image. The role of the
adjusted and conformed
<http://www.blackcommentator.com/sendpage/recform.php>Black
today employs the same blueprint use to mold the
images of Sambo, Aunt Jemima, Uncle Tom, and
Jezebel. In the essay titled, “Lest We Forget,”
Bukhari reminds of the “fallen heroes of the
People’s War of Liberation. Author Morris, bobby
James Hutton, Nathaniel Clark, Alprentice
“Bunchy” Carter, John Jerome Huggins, Fred
Hampton, Jonathan and George Jackson, Sandra
Pratt, Twymon Myers and so many others didn’t die
for the resurrection of Sambos and Jezebels.

The revolutionary begins at home with the
individual and collective of individuals fighting
for the right to be - to be human, to be Black.
As Bukhari writes, “no concrete change in the
very real condition of Black people occurred.
We’re still at the bottom of the totem pole.”

The movement to bring about radical change is a
process as Bukhari reminds us. That process
begins by envisioning a “new society.” “if we
truly are to create a new society, we must build
a strong foundation.” I think for Bukhari,
thinking and writing was her way of creating a
strong foundation in which to envision something
new. Building a movement, requires that the
workers “do it the hard way” - “slowly and
methodically, building
step by step and block by
block” - much like the process of observing,
thinking, and writing necessary to see the road
to freedom. “The difficult part is the day-to-day
organizing, educating, and showing the people by
example what needs to be done to create a new
society.” This is now a task left to us to continue.

It’s not so radical to think and re-think a
vision of that “new society” without racism,
capitalism, or imperialism. What’s so radical
about ending the need for wars and war
profiteers? What’s so radical about ending
narratives of domination that call for the
control of the majority of humanity and this
planet? Think of where we are now with jobs
outsourced to the so-called “developing” world
where those fellow workers are paid slave wages.
Think of the repressive state of K-12 in urban
areas throughout this country. Blacks and
Latino/a youth are introduced to law enforcement
and detention before they can read or write!
Think of protesters challenging the status quo of
undemocratic laws and procedures coming
face-to-face with fascist forces equipped with
high-tech weaponry. Think of the increase power
given to the corporations by the U.S. Supreme
Court. Think of the Earth as the battlefield of
the U.S. Empire where enemies and wars,
militarization and oppression are the best the U.S. can offer the world.

<http://www.blackcommentator.com/contributions.html>Just
as the revolution is a work in progress,
Bukhari’s writings were a work in progress,
reflecting her thoughts on organizing for an end
to capitalism and working toward a new society.
In the “Afterword,” political prisoner and
journalist Mumia Abu Jamal states that Bukhari’s
“passing wasn’t the only tragedy; the tragedy was
that more people didn’t know her, learn from her,
or grow from her fund of hard-won wisdom.” While
I acknowledge the tragedy of her physical death,
I prefer to see her passing as a transition.
Among the ancestors now, she offers us her wisdom
in
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1558616101?ie=UTF8&tag=blackcommenta-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1558616101>The
War Before. This is a collection of essays,
speeches and interviews, reveals a strong spirit,
and should be read like a textbook, again and
again. Returning to how Safiya Bukhari thought
and how she fought on behalf of political
prisoners keeps her spirit close to us while we continue the struggle.

We call and she responds

“A People’s War of Liberation is like the points
of a starfish. When a soldier (guerilla) dies,
another grows and takes his or her place in the
struggle, or in the body of the army.”

BlackCommentator.com Editorial Board member,
Lenore Jean Daniels, PhD, has been a writer for
over thirty years of commentary, resistance
criticism and cultural theory, and short stories
with a Marxist sensibility to the impact of
cultural narrative violence and its antithesis,
resistance narratives. With entrenched dedication
to justice and equality, she has served as a
coordinator of student and community resistance
projects that encourage the Black Feminist idea
of an equalitarian community and facilitator of
student-teacher communities behind the walls of
academia for the last twenty years. Dr. Daniels
holds a PhD in Modern American Literatures, with
a specialty in Cultural Theory (race, gender,
class narratives) from Loyola University, Chicago.