[News] Please Support the Freedom Archives

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Dec 16 15:33:57 EST 2010

Dear Friends,

We are very pleased and excited to let you know
that­thanks to your grassroots support­our new
film, COINTELPRO 101, several years in the
making, is now out in the world! When, as we
hope, it becomes a useful educational tool, each
one of you must share in that sense of
accomplishment because­to use a fundraising
cliché that is absolutely true in this case­it
would not have been possible without you!

COINTELPRO 101  premiered­first in June at the US
Social Forum in Detroit, and now, in October and
November in San Francisco, Portland, and the Twin
Cities­where it is presented in the context of
recent FBI break-ins and Grand Jury intimidation.
The film is already scheduled to be shown at a
number of national and international film
festivals, and will be released as a DVD in
spring 2011. It will be subtitled in both Spanish
and French and will include ‘extra’ interviews.

We are honored that COINTELPRO 101 and Legacy of
Torture were part of presentations in Geneva by
the US Human Rights Network for the first ever
Universal Public Review of the United States
conducted by the UN Human Rights Council. In this
context the US was challenged for violating the
UN Charter and Universal Declaration of Human
Rights – with an emphasis on the ongoing
imprisonment of political prisoners and mass incarceration.

Cointelpro 101 was also shown recently with
Spanish subtitles to students in Puerto Rico.
Other showings are being scheduled on the island.

At one showing in the Portland area, a middle
school student from Forest Grove happened to be
in the audience of mostly college students during
the discussion after the movie. She raised her
hand and asked “why don’t they teach us this in
school?” I replied, “Well, maybe you can answer
that question yourself.” She wisely said, “I
guess because they don’t want us to know about this history.”
Cointelpro 101 is a riveting recall of history
for anyone who wants to be inspired to work
toward an end to the U.S. practice of terrorism.
Because it was not then: it is happening still in America!
                                                                                    ­
Lenore Daniels, Black Commentator
COINTELPRO 101 can be used as part of organizing
efforts to combat the current wave of repression,
and that it can be shown widely in high school
and university classes. Some curriculum
suggestions to accompany the film are on our
website along with additional readings on COINTELPRO.
Strong interviews, rarely seen clips, high
quality audio and video production across the
board with equally strong narration

                                                                                                  ­Jared
Ball, Black Agenda Radio
The extensive collection of the Freedom Archives
continues to expand with new additions of printed
materials-political and underground papers along
with pamphlets and leaflets. Our dedicated
interns are busy organizing and cataloging our
growing “paper archives” so that they can best
compliment our audio and video collections.

Your support is the key factor in ensuring the
growth , expansion, and accessibility of the
Freedom Archives collections.  With the recent
passings of long time activists Lolita Lebron and
Marilyn Buck we realize even more the important
of preserving our voices of struggle throughout
the generations.  The Freedom Archives are
fortunate to contain many hours of recordings
with Lolita Lebron; a sample of her can be heard
on our Roots of Resistance CD.  Wild Poppies is
an important CD devoted entirely to the poetry of
Marilyn Buck.  We were honored to provide an
edited video of Marilyn for the recent memorials
to her life in Oakland and in New York.

You make the difference. Despite the challenges
of the time we know that you appreciate and value
our work.  As an activist community focused
organization, every contribution to our work
makes a difference-no matter how small.  (You can
use the link below to donate on line.)

Thank you so very much.

<https://co.clickandpledge.com/sp/d1/default.aspx?wid=33005>
Online donation system by ClickandPledge