[News] Bedouin Women Demonstrate Against Razing Of Villages

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Aug 25 12:17:36 EDT 2010

Bedouin Women Hold Non-Violent Demo Against Razing Of Villages

author

  Wednesday August 25, 2010 17:16
author
 by Saed Bannoura - IMEMC News
<http://www.imemc.org/report_posts?subject=Report%20post:%20Story%2059327%20with%20title:%20Bedouin%20Women%20Hold%20Non-Violent%20Demo%20Against%20Razing%20Of%20Villages&message=Report%20post:%20Story%2059327%20with%20title:%20Bedouin%20Women%20Hold%20Non-Violent%20Demo%20Against%20Razing%20Of%20Villages%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.imemc.org%2Findex.php%3Fobj_id%3D53%26story_id%3D59327%26%0A%0AEnter+your+reason+here+-+please+do+not+remove+the+above+link+as+it+will+allow+an+editor+to+easily+remove+the+offending+content>

http://www.imemc.org/article/59327

Around 700 Bedouin women held a protest in
Jerusalem challenging the demolition of their
villages by Israeli forces. They travelled to
Jerusalem from the Negev desert in southern
Israel, where they live in 'unrecognized'
villages that have been razed multiple times since Israel was created in 1948.

They gathered outside the Israeli Ministry of the
Interior on Tuesday, after the destruction of
al-Arakid village this past weekend, holding
signs and chanting slogans. Even as the mid-day
sun beat down, and the women maintained their
daily Ramadan fast of no water and food from
sunrise to sunset, they continued to chant and
attempt to dialogue with employees entering and leaving the building.

The women also submitted a letter of demands to
the Israeli Interior Minister's advisor on
minority affairs, Saeed Muadi. The demands
included a recognition of their villages, and equal treatment under the law.

One activist, Hanan el-Sana, told the Israeli
daily Yedioth Ahranoth, “The systematic razing of
unrecognized villages in the Negev by the
authorities shows the State has no respect for
human dignity or the religious customs of the
area's inhabitants. The (Bedouin) women feel that
no one is hearing their cries. They feel this is
the beginning of a long public campaign that will
continue until the Israeli government recognizes
the villages. For 60 years, we have suffered in
our villages without basic necessities such as
water, sewage systems, and electricity, and we
have also lost our traditional livelihood because
of the land appropriation policy. Add to this the
recent home demolitions – the situation has become intolerable.”

The head of the Council of Unrecognized Villages
in the Negev, Ibrahim al-Waqili, called on
Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu to
resign due to his blatant violation of
international human rights law with his ongoing
policy of destruction of Bedouin villages in southern Israel.