[News] US Military is destroying traditional Hawaiian sites

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Aug 10 14:35:29 EDT 2010

Here's the latest I'm reporting on from my neck
of the woods. The military is destroying all of
our cultural sites and desecrating our ancestors'
graves while expanding their dominion over these
islands. The sad thing is that a Hawaiian
organization (OHA) that is supposed to be helping
us apparently made a deal with the devils in
Washington and did not move on this when they
found out about it a year ago. Only now when
they're caught they are doing something, although not much.

As you know, this issue of further land-grabbing
is repeating itself in Guam and Okinawa and other
places. I'm trying to report on these issues as
much as possible because no other media outlet is
doing it. The media is so military-friendly here,
even more so than on the continent!!

Folks I collaborate with on these
anti-militarization pieces just got the axe from
the American Friends Service Committee (they
are/soon to be the former AFSC Hawaii Chapter)
and will lose funding and affiliation at the end
of the year. Word is that the organization is not
comfortable with the rampant anti-military and
sovereignty stance of the Hawaii Chapter.

  <http://thehawaiiindependent.com/masthead/105/>Samson
Kaala <http://thehawaiiindependent.com/masthead/105/>Reiny

OHA ‘drops the ball’ in protecting cultural sites from Stryker brigade

Aug 03, 2010 - 11:17 AM | by
<http://thehawaiiindependent.com/masthead/105/>Samson Kaala Reiny
http://thehawaiiindependent.com/story/oha-stryker/

HONOLULU ­ Cultural sites that were supposed to
have been protected from military vehicles and
training exercises may have been put in jeopardy
due to an oversight by The Office of Hawaiian
Affairs (OHA) lasting nearly a year.

At a special meeting with concerned community
members last Thursday, OHA admitted to “dropping
the ball” by not taking action on a damning
report the agency received last year that
criticized the Army’s efforts at preserving
cultural sites while training and constructing
the Stryker Brigade Combat Teams (SBCT).

OHA received the report in September 2009, and it
suggests that parts of the
<http://www.achp.gov/nhpa.html>National Historic
Preservation Act (NHPA) were disregarded.
Trustees and staff discussed the item at a
committee meeting in November. According to the
minutes, Clyde Namuo, CEO, said staff was to
draft a letter to the Army requesting the
protection of sites mentioned in the document. It
was revealed last week that no such action had
been taken since that committee meeting last year.

“A lot happened,” said Kai Markell, OHA’s
Compliance Monitoring Manager, who noted some
structural changes within the organization kept
some employees in limbo. “Some of us didn’t know
if we were going to be here, and we lost a few people related to the project.”

The report, written by independently contracted
archaeologist Christopher Monahan, comments on
the Army’s numerous shortcomings in its attempts
at documenting cultural sites, which, if included
on the National Register of Historic Places,
offers them various protections from being disturbed.

The report was the end result of a lawsuit OHA
filed against the Army in November 2006 alleging
violations against the NHPA and the Native
American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act
(NAGPRA). Cultural monitors claimed that numerous
sites were being mistreated or were endangered,
including Haleauau heiau near Schofield Barracks,
whose protective buffers were razed by bulldozers in July of that year.

In October 2008, a settlement was reached where
OHA would drop its lawsuit based on its then
knowledge of the existing surveys and reports. In
return, the Army allowed the independently
contracted archaeologist, Monahan, as well as OHA
staff, access to Stryker Brigade sites for a
total of 50 days in order to draw up an objective
second opinion. OHA had the option then to
proceed with mediation or litigation based on the new findings.

OHA initially gave the report to Terri Kekoolani,
program coordinator for the American Friends
Service Committee (AFSC) Hawaii, a few weeks ago at her request.

Monahan is critical of the methods used in the
previous surveys conducted by the military and
its hired firms, recognizing there are issues
with the competency of the field personnel
involved. It also notes a general lack of
subsurface testing, or excavating, to locate such
sites. Instead, there are “mere guesses ... and
based on relatively little scientific data.”

At some locations, Monahan’s findings more than
doubled the number of known features the Army had previously reported.

There is also concern regarding numerous earlier
reports­ones that evaluated surveys taken of
impacted areas­that were not made available to
him because they were in draft form. Most
problematic was a major report on the Kahuku
Training Area, which was completed six years ago but is still not available.

Many of those in attendance recommended that, due
to the Army’s violations of NHPA as cited in the
report, an injunction should be filed by OHA to
halt construction and training activities, until
these issues are resolved. Markell said he would
consult with upper management and the legal team on the options.

“We will refocus our efforts,” Markell said.