[News] Advice for the Love-Lorn and the War-Torn

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Apr 9 11:09:10 EDT 2010

ASK MS. LIBERTY: Advice for the Love-Lorn and the War-Torn

In today's column, our Statue of Liberty once
again gasses up her torch to answer two timely letters:

Dear Green Lady,
      I am a gay soldier, trying to have safe sex
at an air force base in Nevada. It is really
rough here with that Don't Ask Don't Tell policy
and all. Also I got assigned to pilot some of
those drone planes that fly over Pakistan and are
called "unmanned aerial vehicles." You look on a
computer screen and drop bombs by remote control.
So far they like me here because of my experience
in high school as a video game champ, but I hate
those drone missions. Even though those AUVs are
scientifically designed to only obliterate
Islamic extremists, you never know for sure who
you're hitting 7,000 miles away.
But since I found Billy, all that doesn't matter
so much. Now, when our drones light up the sky, I
think about Billy, and it's like him and me are
playing "Call of Duty4: Modern Warfare" on my old
Xbox360. So maybe this damn war might do some good after all.
      What bugs me is that, even though me and
Billy are doing a hell of a job, we could get
kicked out of the military just cause we're gay.
That sounds like discrimination to me. How come
the U.S. Armed Forces can't allow us gays to be
all that we can be – lovers and killers? Isn't
that our right as Americans, ma'am?

Dear Brad,
      Wake up and smell the corpses, dear. No,
wait. You can't – they're too far away. In any
case, remember that your President's first
priority is to protect the nation. Three days
after taking office, Mr. Obama ordered his first
drone attack on Pakistan. Only months later did
he announce that he wanted to repeal the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy.
      To give your President a human-rights
wake-up call from his war campaign, why not write
him a little note on nice stationery? Remind him
that, just like any other Americans, queers in
the military deserve their chance to kick a
little Third World ass. If you hang in there long
enough, I'll wager that straight people
everywhere will soon begin to see each of your
missions as a surgical strike for gay and lesbian rights.

Dear Green Lady,
      I would like to know please how to get
bloodstains out of an Oriental carpet. The carpet
has been in my family for generations, and I
would hate to lose it. Two of my children were
lying on it last night, listening to the radio,
when the planes came again. This time, they hit
our house. There was so much blood! They bombed
the electrical generator and the water supply for
our town, so that the fire, when it started,
could not be put out. It raged all night and,
when morning came, I saw that most of my family lay dead.
      Then I noticed a little movement from under
the carpet. I lifted it up, and there was my
youngest daughter. She was still alive. I wrapped
her in a piece of the carpet and carried her to
the clinic. She might have lived if she received
medical treatment. But the planes had bombed the clinic, too.
      Now I must clean this carpet. It is the
only thing of my family that I have left. The
trouble is, there is all this blood. Everywhere,
blood. Tell me, please, how does one get rid of the blood?
-  A mother in Waziristan

Dear Islamic Extremist,
      I don't know what kind of low-grade media
you're getting over there. If you had access to
Western TV, you would see that THERE IS NO BLOOD!
Zip. I have been watching these wars for years
now, and have yet to see any blood.
      Like our President says, we want only peace
and democracy for your backward, sinister
country. And the best way to show people like you
that we care is with a state-of-the-art military,
working seamlessly with modern news outlets. Now,
instead of massacred civilians, blackened
villages, and little napalmed girls screaming
naked in the street, you see well-groomed
broadcasters in attractive fashions, talking
about things. What you probably witnessed the
other night was some old footage from the Vietnam
War – with which this war has, of course, nothing in common.
Offhand, my guess is that you've fallen prey to
the disinformation program of Al Jazeera, favored
news source of Osama bin Laden. Perhaps they want
you to confuse the term "carpet bombing" – which,
thanks to the precision of computerized warfare
is old hat – with the idea that someone actually bombed your carpet.
      There is no – I repeat, NO – blood. Why
don't you buy yourself a Nintendo game, dear? Or
better yet, relax with a news story about gays
and lesbians trying to gain acceptance in the U.S. military.

©  Susie Day, 2010