[News] Psychologist Accused of War Crimes Opposes Investigations

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Sep 8 18:01:16 EDT 2009

http://www.counterpunch.org/soldz09082009.html

September 8, 2009

The Case of Col. Larry James

Psychologist Accused of War Crimes Opposes Investigations

By STEPHEN SOLDZ

As a conflict has arisen as to whether the nation
should seek accountability for torture and other
human rights abuses during the so-called "War on
Terror," the public and media have largely
ignored  the spectacle of those, like Richard
Cheney and John Yoo, who are likely targets of
human rights abuse investigations. Potential
investigations are denounced as political attacks
that will gravely damage the country's security.
The media have largely ignored the self-serving
nature of these denunciations.

The latest human rights abuse target to join the
anti-accountability chorus is former Guantanamo
intelligence psychologist Col. Larry James
(retired), about whom
<http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Guantanamo_document_confirms_psychological_torture>questions
have been raised regarding
<http://www.harpers.org/archive/2007/11/hbc-90001724>unethical
or even illegal
<http://ccrjustice.org/newsroom/press-releases/rights-groups-call-canada-investigate-guantanamo-psychologist-possible-tortu>participation
in war crimes. In a press release from Wright
State University, where he is now Dean of the
School of Professional Psychology, James –– has
<http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS206356+01-Sep-2009+PRN20090901>come
out against Attorney General Holder's limited
criminal investigation of CIA torture:

"To reopen cases that were adjudicated as legal
may be harmful to the mission and morale of the
intelligence community," said Col. (Ret.) Larry
James, now the Dean of the School of Professional
Psychology at Wright State University. "That
said, I agree with President Obama's statement
several months ago to 'turn the page' and move on
with regard to the interrogation of detainees of the Global War on Terrorism."

James said the outcome of appointing the special
prosecutor could have negative repercussions on
the intelligence-gathering function.

"Being an interrogator is a stressful,
challenging and dangerous job," he said. "If
there is new evidence that suggests crimes have
been committed, then it would make sense to move
forward with an investigation. However, since at
the time of the interrogations they were deemed
legal and acceptable by that sitting
administration, I do not believe the
investigation is warranted or necessary. I advise
the president to be supportive of our current
mission and be very careful as he moves forward in this sensitive area."

James has previously made clear his belief that
intelligence professionals should close their
eyes to possible abuses outside of their
immediate sphere of action. Thus, when asked by
an Associated Press reporter to comment on
reports of a secret Camp 7 at Guantanamo,
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-7288144,00.html>James replied:

"I learned a long, long time ago, if I'm going to
be successful in the intel community, I'm
meticulously _ in a very, very dedicated way _
going to stay in my lane
. So if I don't have a
specific need to know about something, I don't
want to know about it. I don't ask about it."

Like so many others arguing against torture
investigations, James may have reason to desire a
shut down of torture inquiries. Last month, the
Canadian Centre for International Justice and the
Center for Constitutional Rights appealed to the
Canadian government
<http://ccrjustice.org/newsroom/press-releases/rights-groups-call-canada-investigate-guantanamo-psychologist-possible-tortu>for
a criminal investigation of James for potential involvement in war crimes:

"Allegations of abuse during Dr. James’ January
to May 2003 deployment include beatings,
religious and sexual humiliation, rape threats
and painful body positions. Canadian citizen Omar
Khadr is one of the prisoners who has alleged
brutal treatment in the spring of 2003 when he was only 16 years old.

"Based on this information, the CCIJ and CCR
called on the Canadian government to investigate
whether action should be taken against Dr. James
or other attendees of the APA Convention who may
have been involved in abuse of detainees."

The two human rights organizations outlined the
evidence justifying a criminal investigation in a
<http://ccrjustice.org/files/09.08.06_bond%20backgrounder%20FINAL.pdf>background
document they presented to the Canadian
government. At that time, James was in Toronto
for the annual meeting of the American
Psychological Association [APA], where he became
President of the APA Division of Military
Psychology Among the serious concerns regarding
James's behavior warranting investigation are
that he consulted to interrogators at Guantanamo
while isolation was part of the
<http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Guantanamo_document_confirms_psychological_torture>standard
operating procedure to make new detainees dependent on their interrogators.

James, however, has repeatedly claimed credit for
ending all abuses at Guantanamo, and later, at
Abu Ghraib. Thus, his sanitized memoir detailing
these claims is entitled Fixing Hell. Similarly,
James
<http://s3.amazonaws.com/propublica/assets/docs/pens_listserv.pdf>told
a task force convened by the American
Psychological Association in 2005 that he and
other psychologists ended abuses at detention facilities:

"I am very proud of the fact, it was
psychologists who fixed the problems and not
caused it. This is a factual statement! the fact
of the matter is that since Jan 2003, where ever
we have had psychologists no abuses have been
reported."  [Emphasis in original.]

James has an idiosyncratic definition of "abuse."
He claims at times
<http://www.jtfgtmo.southcom.mil/wire/wire/WirePDF/v8/Issue48v8.pdf%20>never
to have witnessed
<http://www.newsweek.com/id/164497>abuses at
Guantanamo, where he was deployed as a member of
the Chief Psychologist of the Joint Intelligence
Group and BSCT #1 [Behavioral Science Consultation Team] in 2003 and 2007:

“When I walk through the camps, I can’t tell you
that I have stumbled across a lot of things that
are wrong. During my time here, I am proud to say
that I have not seen a guard or interrogator
abuse anyone in any shape or form,” said James.
“These young men and women go out of their way
well beyond the call of duty to make sure that
detainees are treated safely and humanely at all times.”

James's account, of course, differs from that of
every
<http://select.nytimes.com/search/restricted/article?res=F30910FF3A5A0C738FDDA80994DC404482>independent
<http://www.mcclatchydc.com/259/story/40334.html>source
that
<http://ccrjustice.org/learn-more/reports/current-conditions-confinement-guantanamo>has
<http://web.amnesty.org/library/index/engAMR510512007>examined
<http://brokenlives.info/?page_id=69>Guantanamo
and found persistent abuses continuing up to the
present. [Even in his own account of his
deployment at Guantanamo in his  self-justifying
"memoir," James reports witnessing several
instances of abuse - abuses which, however, he
apparently failed to report to his commanders.]

In his memoir James claims to have had special
responsibility for juveniles detained at
Guantanamo. Yet, during his deployment there,
young Mohammed Jawad [evidently between 12 and 16
when incarcerated there] was subjected to the
mandatory four weeks isolation
<http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/AMR51/091/2008/en/ed9d7f13-691e-11dd-8e5e-43ea85d15a69/amr510912008eng.html>upon
his arrival in February 2003. Later that year
Jawad was subjected to further isolation and
other abuse on the recommendation of a BSCT
psychologist; James declined to condemn this
abuse to a Newsweek reporter, implying that there
were
<http://www.newsweek.com/id/164497>extenuating
circumstances. Later, in May 2004, Jawad was also
subjected to
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/07/AR2008080703004_pf.html>extended
sleep deprivation in the so-called "frequent
flyer program" in which, in the
<http://www.law.harvard.edu/news/2009/02/frakt-closing-argument.pdf>words
of his military JAG attorney:

"Mohammad Jawad’s arms and legs were
 shackled
in preparation for the first of 112 moves up and
down the hall of L Block, every 3 hours for the next 14 days."

Also while James was deployed at Guantanamo,
adolescent Omar Khadr reported being used as a
<http://www.miamiherald.com/guantanamo/story/461231.html>human
mop "because he had urinated on himself during a
bout of shackled isolation." The claim was
investigated by the military, which has refused
to release any information regarding the
investigation. Records released by the Canadian
government show that Khadr, like Jawad, was
<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080709.wkhadr0709/BNStory/Front>subjected
to the "frequent flyer" sleep deprivation program
in 2004. Despite his professed concern for the
decent treatment of juvenile detainees, other
than his Newsweek comment, James nowhere
describes his relationship to the Jawad or Khadr
cases or comments on the documented abuse these
young boys suffered at Guantanamo during and after his deployment.

Does James believe that no investigation of his
actions at Guantanamo is warranted as his actions
there "were deemed legal and acceptable by that
sitting administration"? In other words, was he just following orders?

Due to the secrecy surrounding Guantanamo, we do
not know James’s actual conduct  at Guantanamo.
With his call to stop investigations of detainee
abuses, James seems to desire that we never know.
If he is innocent of participation in abuses,
only an investigation will clear his name. If,
however, he did participate in abuses, no defense
that "at the time of the interrogations they were
deemed legal and acceptable by that sitting
administration" should be allowed to obscure the
truth, and no claims of damage to the morale of
the intelligence community should be allowed to
impede an investigation and appropriate criminal
and/or professional penalties.

Only the full truth can allow the abused
detainees, the nation, and the profession of
psychology, to "turn the page and move on." In
the absence of the truth we will be forever
looking over our shoulders, wondering just who
did what and what did happen during this sorry
chapter in our nation's recent history.

Stephen Soldz is a psychoanalyst, psychologist,
public health researcher, and faculty member at
the <http://www.bgsp.edu/>Boston Graduate School
of Psychoanalysis. He edits the
<http://psychoanalystsopposewar.org/blog/>Psyche,
Science, and Society blog. He is a founder of the
Coalition for an Ethical Psychology, one of the
organizations working to change American
Psychological Association policy on participation
in abusive interrogations. He is also a Steering
Committee member of
<http://psysr.org/>Psychologists for Social
Responsibility [PsySR]. He can be reached at:
<mailto:mailto:ssoldz at bgsp.edu>ssoldz at bgsp.edu