[News] Citizens arrest, disruption of Olmert in San Francisco

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Oct 23 12:21:52 EDT 2009

VIDEO: Citizens arrest, disruption of Olmert in San Francisco

Press release, Northern California Palestine justice groups, 23 October 2009
http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article10851.shtml

Video  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=491GOKwrN1s&feature=player_embedded

Twenty-two activists were arrested at Israeli Prime Minister Ehud
Olmert's speech to the World Affairs Council on 22 October between
6:30 and 7:30pm at the Westin St. Francis Hotel at Union Square in
San Francisco. Inside the auditorium, activists began disrupting the
event by placing Olmert under citizens arrest. Every couple of
minutes, more activists disrupted his speech, barely allowing him to
speak, by reading the names of the children killed in Gaza last
winter, reading from the recently published Goldstone report and
displaying banners that read "Lift the Siege on Gaza" and "War Crimes
are Not Free Expression!" Activists were removed from the auditorium
chanting "war criminal!" and taken to the Tenderloin Police Station
where they are being held for citation. Ten additional persons
participated in the action but were not arrested.

Olmert ordered Israel's brutal attacks on Gaza beginning in late
December 2008, code-named Operation Cast Lead. Last week, the UN
Human Rights Council passed a resolution endorsing the Goldstone
report, an independent investigation into the Gaza operation, which
found that Israel violated international law and possibly committed
crimes against humanity.

"Israel is an apartheid state guilty of war crimes and its leaders
should not be welcome in San Francisco," said Lisa Nessan, a Jewish
resident of Oakland, who has traveled several times to Israel and
Palestine, most recently in May. "For the past 60 years, under
leadership like Olmert's, Israel has denied Palestinians their basic
human rights, built settlements on their lands, and killed civilians
-- all to force them from their homeland."

A lively protest also gathered across from the hotel in Union Square,
where about 150 persons carried signs bearing the names and pictures
of children killed during Operation Cast Lead. Olmert is making
several appearances in the US this month, and has been met with
strong protests at locations including the University of Chicago and
Tulane University in New Orleans. "We join with people around the
world who believe that Israel and its leaders must be held
accountable for their actions. Israel killed 1,400 people during its
attacks on Gaza last winter alone, and many more have died or
suffered from the effects of siege, occupation, and apartheid on
their daily lives," said Monadel Herzallah, a Palestinian activist
who lives in Fairfield and whose 21-year-old cousin was killed in
Gaza in January.

Organizers also expressed outrage that US President Barack Obama has
ignored the findings of the Goldstone report. The US has pledged more
than $3 billion each year in unrestricted aid to Israel. "Israel's
use of US aid and military equipment violates our own laws," said Rae
Abileah, an organizer with CODEPINK whose father is Israeli. "Why are
we giving aid to a country that is destroying people's homes and
attacking civilians, while our own nation is struggling with
unemployment and underfunded social services?"

Eduardo Cohen of San Francisco sums up the sentiment: "The war crimes
in the Goldstone Report are not an exception, but a reminder that
Israel's apartheid law is itself criminal. We must not only hold
Olmert accountable, but all of Israel's leaders, our own elected
officials, and other companies and individuals that profit from these
crimes. Only then can true justice be reached."

The protest was sponsored by: Arab Resource & Organizing Center
(AROC), Bay Area Campaign to End Israeli Apartheid (BACEIA), CODEPINK
Women for Peace, Friends of Deiribzi'a, Northern California
International Solidarity Movement, Middle East Children's Alliance
(MECA), South Bay Mobilization, Stop AIPAC, CAL Students for Justice
in Palestine, US Palestine Communities Network (USPCN), Bay Area
Women in Black.

Video produced by The Electronic Intifada.