[News] National Resistance Against the Coup d’Etat Boycotts Honduras Elections

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Nov 6 16:50:41 EST 2009

National Resistance Against the Coup d’Etat
Announces Boycott of November 29 Honduras Elections

Coup Regime’s Noncompliance with the October 30
Accord Renders Last Week’s Agreement Moot

By Tamar Sharibi
Reporting from Tegucigalpa

http://www.narconews.com/Issue61/article3917.html

November 6, 2009

TEGUCIGALPA, HONDURAS, NOVEMBER 6, 2009: Hundreds
of people have congregated daily outside the
Honduran National Congress to pressure its
members (known as ‘Diputados,’ or Deputies) to
finally reinstate President Manuel Zelaya. The
new wave of hope came after the US State
Department’s visit that many interpret as a
tactic to guarantee the November 29 elections.
While US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton
proclaimed a “breakthrough in negotiations in
Honduras,” things on the ground still seemed to
be at a stalemate as of Thursday afternoon,
November 5, the date that, according to the
accord signed last week, should have brought –
but didn’t bring – the end of the coup regime.

genuine negotiations, the National Resistance
Front Against the Coup d’Etat published this statement:

The National Resistance Front against the Coup
d’Etat announces to the Honduran population and the international community:

Whereas:

1.That during 131 consecutive days of the
struggle, we have pressured for a peaceful
resolution to the political crisis that our
country has lived resulting from the coup d’état
perpetrated by the Honduran Oligarchy. In this
period we have supported the initiatives that
have been driven by various national and
international sectors, maintaining three
fundamental demands: a) the return of
institutional order with the restitution of the
legitimate president Manuel Zelaya Rosales, b)
respect for our sovereign right to install a
National Constituent Assembly that brings
together the country and c) punishment for the violators of human rights.

2.That the call of the agreement Tegucigalpa-San
Jose contains the priority element the return of
constitutional order and literally states its
purpose as “to bring back the title of the
Executive Power to the state previous to the that
of June 28 until the conclusion of the actual
governing period, January 27, 2010”

3.That the National Congress, coauthor of the
breaking of constitutional order on the June 28,
is using delaying tactics, in not wanting to
convene the complete assembly in order to repeal
the decree that installed the de facto regime.

4.That the OEA and the government of the United
States, who we consider accomplice of the
military coup d’état, do not represent our
interests in the definitive exit of the people
involved in the coup d’état out of power.

So we resolve:

1.If today, Thursday, November 5, no later than
midnight President Jose Manuel Zelaya Rosales is
not reinstated to his position, the National
Resistance Front against the Coup d’Etat will not
recognize the electoral process and its results.

2.We alert all the organizations in the
resistance on a national level so that in case
President Zelaya is not reinstated in the
established period to be ready to execute the
actions of negating the farse elections.

3.We call on the international community to
maintain the position that the de facto regime
and the elections of November 29 are illegitimate.

We resist and we will be victorious!
Tegucigalpa, M.D.C. 5 of November 2009

Many resistance members have commented that the
same Congress that invented the President’s
resignation letter last June is now being trusted to clean up the mess.

US officials have given mixed signals about
whether they will recognize the 29 elections
regardless of whether President Zelaya is
restored.
<http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/dpb/2009/nov/131346.htm>On
Wednesday, State Department spokesman Ian Kelly
danced around reporters’ questions that sought more specificity:

QUESTION: It appears as though, as long as the
congress agrees on something, you’re willing to
accept it even it falls short of Zelaya being restored before the election.

MR. KELLY: I think what we’re saying is that we want the two parties to agree.

Despite last week’s US Delegation and the accord
that resulted, police and military repression
continue. On Thursday Oct 29, Day 124 of the
resistance, a peaceful march organized by the
resistance movement and the UD, the Democratic
Unification Party, the only national political
party to oppose the coup from the beginning, came
under physical attack from coup security forces.
The Supreme Electoral Tribunal (TSE, in its
Spanish initials) had granted the UD party a
permit to hold the march. Interestingly enough,
the October 29 was also the first day that
control over the military was transferred to the
TSE purportedly to guarantee the ‘safety’ of the elections.

All the major news agencies were covering the
official press conference being held at the
American Embassy when the action broke out. The
repression on this day was different because
there was almost no warning on the attack. The
march was making its way through a neighborhood
called El Prado, passing by the main offices of
TSE. As a few protestors ripped down election
material, military trucks arrived and started beating anyone in sight.

After canisters of tear gas were shot into the
crowd, people dispersed in all directions.
Approximately 300 reassembled within the hour
near the Marriot Hotel, two blocks away from the
Presidential Palace. Once again, the military
regrouped and attacked the crowd. Soldiers
followed people into the bathrooms of local
businesses to pull them out and either beat them or temporarily detain them.

Andres Pavón, director of CODEH, the Committee of
Human Rights in Honduras, reported 12 people
receiving medical attention with severe lesions.
Since soldiers and police have arrested people
from the public hospital in Tegucigalpa, Hospital
Escuela, it is likely more people were in need of
medical attention but too frightened to present
themselves. Many people who are victims of last
Thursday’s police repression prefered to take
refuge in CPTRT, Center for the Prevention,
Treatment and Rehabilitation for Victims of Torture and their Families.

So what conclusions can we draw from the US State
Department visit? Considering the
<http://honduras.usembassy.gov/links_media.html>US
Embassy’s media contacts list or following the
mainstream media, one might be lead to believe
that the State Department delegation truly was as
historic as Secretary Clinton claimed it was. The
walls of Tegucigalpa, though, shout a different
message: “Solo el pueblo salva el pueblo,” (Only
the people save the people). On the ground, most
people never really trusted any of the diplomatic visits in the first place.

As of midnight last night, the National
Resistance Front against the Coup d’Etat will
begin its process of delegitimizing the electoral
process. In a statement issued by President
Zelaya, from the Brazilian Embassy in Tegucigalpa
where he has taken refuge the past 46 days and
nights, he said that the coup regime was plotting
“a giant political-electoral fraud” through
“constant violations of human rights, the
cancellation of public liberties, the shutdown
and confiscation of media like Channel 36 and
Radio Globo, and the situation of having the
President who was elected by the people
surrounded by military soldiers in the diplomatic
seat and the overall political persecution.” Zelaya added:

“We announce our total non-recognition of this
electoral process and its results. Due to the
above mentioned violations, elections under a
dictatorship are a fraud to the people.”

The de facto government on the other hand, went
about interpreting the Tegucigalpa/San Jose
Accord as it pleased, supposedly naming its
reconciliatory government while maintaining coup
“president” Roberto Micheletti in power. The US
will now have to answer to the international
community – including the Organization of
American States (OAS) – as the only government
that says it might recognize the Nov 29 elections in Honduras.