[News] Chávez Cancelled Trip to El Salvador Due to Assassination Threat

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jun 4 10:40:34 EDT 2009

Chávez Cancelled Trip to El Salvador Due to Assassination Threat

http://www.venezuelanalysis.com/news/4493

June 3rd 2009, by Tamara Pearson - Venezuelanalysis.com
Mérida, June 3rd 2009 (Venezuelanalysis.com)–
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez did not attend
the swearing in ceremony of new left wing
president of El Salvador, Mauricio Funes on
Monday, because of suspected assassination plans.

Chavez was to travel to the ceremony with
Bolivian president Evo Morales, from Venezuela.
Nicaragua’s President Daniel Ortega first
announced the assassination plan during his
speech at the ceremony when he said both
presidents couldn’t make it for “security
reasons”. At that stage he said it was better not to enter into details.

Later, the Venezuelan minister for foreign
affairs, Nicolas Maduro spoke at the ceremony. He
said that the Venezuelan government hadn’t
provided information about their suspicions
earlier in order to safeguard the
investigations.  However, he said it was known
that “ultra right wing assassination groups
in
Venezuela
linked to ultra conservative coup
sectors, together with the international ultra
right
” were involved in “the possibility of an assassination.”

Talking to press later, Maduro said that
Alejandro Esclusa could be involved in the plans.
Esclusa is a right wing Venezuelan who, according
to Maduro, has worked with the CIA on numerous
occasions, and was in El Salvador advising the
opposition party Arena in its campaign against Funes.

Maduro said they would look at rescheduling
Chavez’s visit to El Salvador, and that the
Venezuelan delegation attending the ceremony
brought its support, solidarity and commitment to the El Salvadorian people.

After being absent from the public light since
Saturday,  Chavez spoke to the media on Tuesday
afternoon while he was inspecting the
construction of 1,100 government houses in Vargas
state. He explained that he had received a
message warning about the assignation plans from
Ortega and “it was information with a lot of
weight that motivated the suspension of our travels.”

“In this case the information was very precise,
[it indicated] that they were going to launch one
or several rockets at the Cubana airline plane
that was already ready to leave from Maiquetia
[airport in Venezuela],” he said, and explained
that the Venezuelan presidential plane was being
repaired at the time and that Cuba had lent him
one of its planes for his travels. Chavez and
Morales were going to travel to El Salvador together in the plane.

Chavez blamed “Luis Posada Carriles’ people” for
the assignation plan. Carriles is an ex-CIA agent
and Cuban-born Venezuelan who was involved in the
1976 attack on a Cubana plane, which saw 73
people die. He was charged with the bombing but
escaped from prison in 1985, before he going on
trial and Venezuela has sought his extradition from the U.S. since 2005.

“We have to remember that there, in El Salvador
[Carriles] lived and did what ever he felt like

and they were preparing this attack against us

when we were to be arriving or leaving
[Salvadoran capital] San Salvador,” said Chavez.

“I accuse Luis Posada Carriles and I demand that
[US] President Barack Obama brings about justice
and complies with the law
 send us this
terrorist
 to put him where he should be, in prison.”

Chavez said other Venezuelan ex-military
personnel were also involved in the assassination
plans, “Daniel Ortega knows the details
 some
Venezuelan coup plotters entered San Salvador two
weeks ago. And I know them
 they have sworn to me
that they were going to kill me, because they say
its my fault that they lost their jobs and didn’t
reach the highest military ranks.”

“The government of the United States is behind
all of this. And I’m not accusing Obama. No. As
Fidel [Castro] has said, I think Obama has good
intentions, but beyond Obama there is a whole
empire: The CIA and all its tentacles, is alive
and kicking
 President Obama its time to
dismantle all this machinery of terror.”

Regarding his three days of unaccounted absence,
from Saturday through to Monday, and the “wave of
rumours” in the mainstream press, as he put it,
Chavez commented that in 10 years of governing he
hadn’t had a single vacation, “I’m glad [the
opposition] miss me so much!” he joked.