[News] PFLP - Warnings against Israeli attempts to achieve by political means what was not done militarily

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jan 28 12:12:09 EST 2009

Warnings against Israeli attempts to achieve by
political means what was not done militarily
28.01.09 - 14:22

Cairo / PNN – In continued commentary from the
factional meetings in Cairo regarding internal
reconciliation and a ceasefire with the Israelis,
the leftists are warning against accepting what does not benefit Palestine.

Jamil Mezher of the Popular Front for the
Liberation of Palestine’s Central Committee said
today, “We must be wary of attempts to pressure the Palestinian people... "

"...into accepting by political means what was
not achieved by the occupation in Gaza.”

He noted that no decisions should be taken
lightly or quickly, no matter who is pushing for
agreement. “We must review comprehensively the
political program as it relates to the
Palestinian political strategy and national
principles. Our work is toward ending the state
of division and restoring unity, and holding the
Palestine Liberation Organization as the sole
legitimate representative of the Palestinian people.”

On Al Jazeera Mezher demanded of all Palestinian
factions to advance the interests of the people
above all partisan interests. “We need an
immediate response to sitting down to a
comprehensive national dialogue in order to
restore unity which we must to confront the
occupation and its policies against our people.
We have to rebuild the Gaza Strip that was so devastatingly destroyed.”

He said that the PFLP is attending the Cairo
meetings as its own delegation separate from the
PLO so as not to appear to be in the face of
Hamas. “Our intention is not to be with any one party over another.”

Regarding a ceasefire with Israeli forces the
leftist said the approach was wrong, that the
debate is not being set in reality. “In the
presence of occupation and continuing aggression
we cannot agree to some ceasefire that means
nothing to the Zionists other than our capitulation.”

Mezher said, “In the interests of our people we
must form a united resistance. It is our right to
decide where and when and how to resist this criminal enemy.”

A government of national unity remains the choice
of the leftists which keeps the PLO remaining in
the position it was founded for.