[News] Stop the re-creation of ‘Indian country’ in the Holy Land

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jan 15 10:48:28 EST 2009

Palestine: Stop the re-creation of ‘Indian country’ in the Holy Land

By Julia Good Fox

Jan 13, 2009
During a meeting at Wi’am, a conflict resolution
center in historic Bethlehem, a gentleman shared
a moment of either resignation or despair with
our delegation: “It’s not part of their mentality
to let us live as Palestinians.” Their mentality
was a reference to the collective actions of the
U.S. and Israel – actions which clearly
demonstrate more than a desire to destroy the
spirit of self-determination among the Palestinians.

Bethlehem and other cities, towns and villages in
the West Bank are enclosed by the notorious
apartheid walls and barriers and are tightly
controlled by the Israeli military. Furthermore,
the West Bank itself is imprisoned by the
apartheid barrier, as is its neighbor 25 miles
away, the Gaza Strip. (The West Bank and the Gaza
Strip also are known as the “Occupied
Territories.”) This horrific nesting doll set of
containment has its heart of darkness squarely
embedded within the United States. When one
replaces the misleading and tightly-controlled
rhetoric that predominates mainstream U.S. media
with the actual first-hand witnessing of the
algebra of conditions that Israel, sponsored by
the annual $2 billion in military assistance from
the United States, imposes on a basically unarmed
and defenseless Palestine, one cannot help but
solve the equation: Israel’s objective, with U.S.
backing, is not to destroy the Palestinian will
to sovereignty and so to compel them to surrender
to a life under occupation. Rather, the intent of
the U.S. and Israel is to coerce and forcibly
remove the Palestinians out of the region completely.

As indigenous peoples, we are not amateurs to
this game. We have inherited the meme (albeit it
lies dormant in some of us who still insist on
protecting the fort) that provides insight into
the politics and culture of occupation,
colonization and removal – wherever it occurs.

The intent of the U.S. and Israel is to coerce
and forcibly remove the Palestinians out of the region completely.

Contrary to widely-held beliefs, the crisis in
Palestine is relatively recent in origin. As
historians and scholars will remind us, Jewish
people generally thrived and lived in respectful
coexistence with Christians and Muslims in
Palestine while they were subjected to prejudice
(and far worse) in Europe and the United States.
It was only during the mid-20th century that
sustained violence began to occur between the
populations – when the U.S. and Europe, out of
their collective guilt for allowing the Shoah to
happen, formed the state of Israel on top of Palestine.

This formation did not occur on empty land. Known
as “Al-Nakba” (Arabic for “the Cataclysm”), this
1948 event involved the expulsion of an estimated
one million Palestinians from cities and
villages, massacres, torture and rape, and the
destruction of nearly 500 Palestinian villages.
Zionism, which activist Gabe Camacho has
correctly described as synonymous with manifest
destiny, is the hegemonic ideology of the
colonizers in the Holy Land. And one of the ideas
of Zionism/Manifest Destiny is the concept of
“Indian country,” an anti-human rights activity
that the U.S. exports internationally.

“Indian Country” is a U.S.-designated term for
our remaining and secondary homelands; however,
the term also is common in the U.S. military and
colonization parlance such as when it was
employed in the invasion of Vietnam or as seen in
the ongoing occupation of Iraq. We see this term in action, too, in Palestine.

Although we and the Palestinians are at different
places in the politics of colonization and
decolonization, as survivors of manifest destiny
(and often combatants against present-day
cultural practices of anti-Indianism), we
immediately – and viscerally – recognize the
extraordinary historic and contemporary parallels
between the Palestinians and our nations and
tribes. Perhaps one of the most recognizable
similarities that we encounter is the theft and
fractionalization of Palestinian land, a process
that we might know better as “removal” and
“allotment.” A strengthened and stabilized
land-base is the basis of self-determination, and
the Palestinian struggle to liberate and protect
their land certainly resonates with our people.

We immediately – and viscerally – recognize the
extraordinary historic and contemporary parallels
between the Palestinians and our nations and tribes.

While in Palestine last summer, I saw billboards
and other advertisements for new housing
developments for Israelis (on land stolen from
the Palestinians); Israelis are given financial
incentives to move to these areas, much like how
the settlers were provided for by the United
States regarding our lands. Yet, land theft, no
matter how it is sanitized or censored in the
political, educational and cultural arenas, is an
attack on human rights. Land theft also is in
violation of the UN Genocide Convention which
recognizes that such robbery is accompanied by an
assault on the families, languages, religions and
spirituality, and other cultural practices of a
tribe or nation. The theft of a people’s land
results in the fracturing of the community and
families, directly interfering with social
relationships, economies and languages. It brings
intergenerational consequences for families,
especially children. Indigenous peoples recognize
the relationship between land and the well-being
of a people, and are on an intimate basis with
the damage that occurs when this relationship is
severed by military force and ongoing colonization.

Thankfully, the U.S. and Israel’s land theft and
other anti-human rights practices are monitored
not only by Palestinian and United Nations
agencies, but also by Israeli-based human rights
groups, such as B’Tselem, and counter-recruitment
organizations, including New Profile, which seek
not only to document these atrocities but also to
bring to a halt, using public pressure, these egregious practices.

Apart from this invasion, Palestinians are
punished by the Israelis for speaking Arabic.

Meanwhile, the current U.S.-Israel’s one-sided
war in the Gaza has resulted, so far, in the
death of more than 800 people, injury of
thousands, and as yet undisclosed damage to the
infrastructure and environment of the area. Apart
from this invasion, Palestinians are punished by
the Israelis for speaking Arabic. Palestinian
families are forcibly separated and the Israelis
are incarcerating the men at alarming rates.
Palestinian land continues to be seized and there
exists Palestinian villages that are officially
“unrecognized” and thus shut off from resources
such as water and electricity. Palestinians are
portrayed as terrorists – modern day savages – in the mainstream media.

As indigenous peoples, we can supplement our
local and tribal self-determination activity by
setting aside just a few hours to locate and work
through an international political or human
rights organization that promotes informed
solidarity and intelligent mutual support with
the Palestinians. In doing so, we can bring to a
halt the U.S. and Israel’s attempt to re-create
“Indian country” in the Occupied Territories.

Julia Good Fox (Pawnee) is on faculty in the
Indigenous and American Indian Studies Program at
Haskell Indian Nations University. In 2008, she
was a member of the Third World Coalition
delegation to Israel and the Occupied West Bank.

Find this article at:
<http://www.indiancountrytoday.com/opinion/37520499.html>http://www.indiancountrytoday.com/opinion/37520499.html