[News] Women of Lebanon and Children in West Bank demonstrate in solidarity with Gaza

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jan 12 12:57:57 EST 2009

Two Articles Follow
http://english.pnn.ps/

Women in Lebanon demonstrate for Gaza
12.01.09 - 11:01

Lebanon / PNN - Under the slogan "Stop aggression
and lift the blockade," the women of Ein
el-Hilweh Refugee Camp in Lebanon demonstrated for Gaza.

Hundreds of women condemned yesterday the
relative silence and inaction by Arab governments
in stopping the Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip.

An international appeal was issued by the General
Union of Palestinian Women, Lebanon Branch.
Hundreds of women are part of the anger and
appeal to end the military operation that has
killed nearly 900 Palestinians since 27 December.

The Democratic Women’s Caucus represented by
Jumana Mari, the Lebanese Women, headed by Fadya
Kheris, National Meeting for the Abolition of
Discrimination against Women, directed by Thuraya
Hashem, and Lebanese-Palestinian dialogue with
lawyer Maya Majzoub penned the draft statement.

Yesterday’s demonstration began with a moment of
silence for Palestinian victims in Gaza and the
diaspora. Gathering in the Hall of Martyr Ziad Al
Atrash in Ein el-Hilweh, women listened to Rajeh
Ghanei demand to maintain the struggle for the
full rights of the Palestinian people, no matter
how aggressive is the attack against the national
project. “These days nothing stops at the borders
of the brutal aggression against the Palestinian
people in the Gaza Strip,” she said.

Jumana Mir'i demanded in a speech on behalf of
the Democratic Women's Caucus to “stop the
massacre committed by the Zionist enemy against
the Palestinian people in Gaza.”

"Mir'i" condemned the Arab and international
silence, “which has contributed to the Zionist
enemy's crimes in Gaza against children and
women, the elderly and places of worship,
recording a flagrant violation of all
international charters and covenants, and humanity.”

In a speech delivered by the Lebanese Women's
Commission, Fadya Kheris called for expelling the
Israeli ambassadors from Arab and Islamic
countries that have established diplomatic ties,
cultural or economic contacts “with the Israeli Zionist entity.”

A word from the Commission on Dialogue and
Development was delivered by the
Lebanese-Palestinian lawyer Majzoub Al Maya on
behalf of the Minister of Education and Higher
Education, Bahia Hariri. "What is happening in
Gaza are massacres, bloody terrible events that
have never been witnessed before, against the steadfast of Gaza.”

She pointed out that "Israel is a military
society that runs on fear. Its leaders and its
inhabitants are convinced that their only
solution is repression, aggression and mass
murder. The conscience of the world could not for
more than six decades deter the killer and the offender.”

Women walked through the streets of the
Palestinian refugee camp flying black flags and
carrying pictures of the children killed in the
past two weeks, the number of who are approximately 400.

Hundreds of children take to the West Bank streets for Gaza
11.01.09 - 17:28

Qalqilia / PNN – Children of the West Bank
demonstrated today in support of Gaza children
with Bethlehem streets filled with young voices calling for justice.

In northwestern West Bank’s Qalqilia hundreds of
children shouted in anger and outrage and what is
happening to the children in the Gaza Strip. They
talked about the killing, terrorizing and displacement.

“We live everyday in solidarity with our brave
brothers and sisters in Gaza,” a small Bethlehem
boy yelled. In Qalqilia the chant was, “we
sacrifice our blood and souls, we sacrifice ourselves for you Gaza.”

The Qalqilia children’s march began at Fateh
party headquarters in the province and roamed the
city streets that had been closed to traffic.
They gathered again in front of the International
Committee of the Red Cross building where the
children presented a document of protest. They
condemned the killing of children and the use of
prohibited weapons and demanded that the
international community provide security.

The statement presented on Sunday read in part,
“The children in the Gaza Strip do not enjoy even
the most basic rights of life, security or
safety. We call on the International Committee of
the Red Cross to take a real role in the
application of international treaties that
guarantee the lives of the innocent during times of war.”

A Qalqilia child said, “This march is an
expression of solidarity from the children of
Qalqilia with our brothers who are being brutally
killed by the machine of occupation and terrorism.”

A girl said, “The children in Gaza, in all of
Palestine, have the right to live a peaceful life
like other children of the world do.”

Murad Ashtioi told the media on behalf of Fateh
in Qalqilia, “The movement began a program of
solidarity with our brave brothers at the
beginning of the brutal aggression which targets all age groups.”