[News] Oscar Grant - Oakland's Not for Burning?

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jan 9 12:18:50 EST 2009

http://www.counterpunch.org/

January 9-11, 2009

Three Simple Proposals

Oakland's Not for Burning?

By GEORGE CICCARIELLO-MAHER

Oakland.

In 1968, Amory Bradford penned a volume entitled
Oakland’s Not For Burning, documenting the
tinderbox that the city had become, and the
lamenting the inevitability with which it would
explode. But the assertion contained in the
book’s title was hardly credible,
<http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9506E3D6173EF935A3575AC0A96E958260>coming
as it was from a Yale-educated former Wall Street
lawyer and New York Times general manager whose
only business in Oakland came via the U.S.
Commerce Department. Some forty years later, in
the early hours of this year of ostensible hope,
the reality of the persistence of racism in
Oakland became devastatingly clear, sparking a
powerful response the likes of which this city
hasn’t seen in years. But luckily, the
condescending voices of moderation, like that of
Bradford a generation prior, seem have little
traction with those who have seen enough police murder.

A New Year’s Execution

After responding to reports of “a fight” on a Bay
Area Rapid Transit (BART) train, BART police
detained the train at the Fruitvale station,
forcibly removing several young men from the
train as dozens of bystanders watched. Several of
the men, all young and mostly black, were lined
up, seated, along the platform. Some were cuffed,
Oscar Grant was not. As he was attempting to
defuse the situation, BART police decided to
detain him, placing him face-down on the
platform, with one officer kneeling near his
neck, and another straddling his legs. For some
still unexplained reason, one officer, now
identified as Johannes Mehserle stood up, pulled
his gun, and fired a shot directly into Oscar Grant’s back.

The bullet went through Grant’s back, ricocheting
off the platform and puncturing his lung. There
are gasps from the bystanders and shock on the
face of the other officers, who clearly didn’t
expect the shot to be fired. Grant, who was
begging not to be Tasered at the time of the
shot, clearly didn’t expect it either. But this
surprise notwithstanding, the decision was then
made to cuff the young man as he lay dying. As an
added precaution, BART police then sought
immediately to confiscate all videophones held by
the train passengers, in an effort to cover up
the murder. Luckily for everyone but the BART
P.D. and Mehserle, several videos managed to make
it into the public domain, where they went viral
and were viewed on Youtube hundreds of thousands
of times in the following days. In a rare show of
journalistic integrity, local Fox affiliate KTVU
<http://www.ktvu.com/video/18409133/index.html>aired
one of the videos in its entirety.

The standard protocol---deny, distort,
cover-up---had clearly been disrupted, and BART
spokesman Linton Johnson even went so far as to
criticize the leaking of the video,
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/07/MNOV154P0R.DTL>arguing
that rather than clarifying events, public access
to the video would “taint” the investigation.
BART was on a back foot, and popular anger was on the offensive.

A Corporate Police Force

BART Police are a notoriously problematic
organization, existing in a gray area between
public and private, funded by taxpayers but
operating under a corporate structure which lacks
all accountability and oversight.
<http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=7813&catid=4&volume_id=398&issue_id=413&volume_num=43&issue_num=15>According
to the
<http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=7813&catid=4&volume_id=398&issue_id=413&volume_num=43&issue_num=15>San
Francisco Bay Guardian:

The structure of the BART police force is a
recipe for disaster. BART’s general manager (who
is not an elected official and has no expertise
in law enforcement) hires the BART police chief

There is no police commission, no police review
board, not even a committee of the elected BART
board designated to handle complaints against and
issues with the BART police
 There is, in other words, no civilian oversight.

And this “disaster” has been more than merely
hypothetical: in 1992, a BART cop shot unarmed
Jerrold Hall in the back of the head with a
shotgun as he walked away, after firing a warning
shot. In 2001, BART police shot a mentally ill
man who was unarmed and naked. And
<http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=7814&catid=4&volume_id=398&issue_id=413&volume_num=43&issue_num=15>according
to Tim Redmond, writing in the same paper, “BART
made a monumental effort to cover [the Hall
slaying] up,” and in the end, “Nothing happened

BART called the shooting justified.” As of
yesterday, BART hadn’t yet interviewed the
officer, Johannes Mehserle, who insisted on
invoking Fifth Amendment rights not to speak. And
just when they claim to have compelled him to do
so, he abruptly resigned, thereby ending any
internal affairs investigation that may have
taken place. There still remains, according to
BART, a criminal investigation, but if the past
is any indicator, this won’t get far.

But let’s not fool ourselves. Even publicly-run
organizations like the Oakland Police Department,
which has all the ties in the world to elected
power, operates with an informal shoot-to-kill
policy for black teenagers. This was as clear in
the
<http://www.counterpunch.org/maher09242007.html>2007
murder of Gary King as it is with Oscar Grant
today. And since the district attorney
responsible for bringing charges against the
police works closely with these same police on a
daily basis and in a shared enterprise of
delivering convictions, we should not be
surprised that not a single police murder in
recent years has even seen disciplinary action.
“No one
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/06/BAVT154HIG.DTL&tsp=1>we
talked with,” writes the Chronicle, “from the
district attorney's office to lawyers who work
either side of police shootings - could remember
a case in the last 20 years in which an on-duty
officer had been charged in a fatal shooting in Alameda County.”

Does It Matter What Really Happened?

We have all seen the video, and rumors are
swirling about how to interpret its contents. The
officer clearly fires a fatal shot into Oscar
Grant’s back while the latter is face-down on the
floor. A flurry of “experts” have intervened to
give their analysis. While such expert testimony
usually functions to justify the police, even
among these experts some are shocked and
disgusted by what they see. One expert, after
concluding that the gun had accidentally gone
off, watched video from another angle, after
which he
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/07/MNOV154P0R.DTL>changed
his conclusion: “Looking at it, I hate to say
this, it looks like an execution to me.”

Others are insisting that Mehserle meant to pull
out his (less fatal) Taser, but this theory has
since been discredited. Firstly, a Sig-Sauer
handgun weighs three times what a Taser weighs,
and the shape is completely distinct, and another
expert noticed in the tape that the officer had
previously withdrawn his Taser, located for
safety reasons on the other side of his belt. In
other words, he knew he was going for the gun.
Hence the claim of accidental discharge, but this
too raises a serious question of plausibility:
when Mehserle drew his gun, Grant couldn’t see
it, and so there could be no claim that it was
meant to threaten the victim into passivity. In
the end, if Mehserle is ever forced to give a
statement, he will likely turn to the
tried-and-true excuse that he “suspected” Grant had a gun in his pants.

But none of this matters, all the debate of the
officer’s “intention” only serves to reinforce
the fact that, while white cops are allowed to
have intention, this is a quantity denied to
their victims. This fact of racist
double-standards is not lost on those who,
realizing that there will be no “justice” in this
case, have taken to the streets to demonstrate
their rage at the unprovoked execution.

“I’m Feeling Pretty Violent Right About Now”

While friends and family were gathered for
Grant’s funeral, a number of organizations called
a demonstration where he was killed, at Fruitvale
BART station. Circulating by internet and
Facebook, the call reached many thousands, and in
the end some 500-600 protestors and mourners came
together to
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J4ccdP3Bs8>make
speeches and lament this murder. At a makeshift
memorial behind the BART station, candles are
burning, and
<http://www.indybay.org/uploads/2009/01/08/justice_for_oscar_grant_007.jpg>hand-written
messages appear: “Oscar, we watched you grow up
from a lil’ boy down the street into a man,” and
“O., RIP, peaceful journey, God only pick da best.”

As an indication of the contrasting sentiments
that divided the crowd, where someone had
scribbled “Fuck the police,” another had covered
the expletive with another message: “Forgive.”
But forgiveness wasn’t on the minds of many.
Several of the more radical protestors climbed
onto the BART turnstiles, displaying a red,
black, and green flag. One shouted:

I’ve got the mentality of my parents who were
Black Panthers, I’m tired of talking, I’m
thinking like L.A. in 1992. Y’all can have your
megaphone speeches, I been through that, I’m
black, I don’t need more speeches.  Let’s take a
stand today, because tomorrow ain’t promised!

While some on the mic attempted to soothe the
crowd, insisting that burning up the city was
“too easy” and “useless,” the message didn’t seem
to resonate much with the crowd. And why should
it? We were standing in the middle of “Fruitvale
Village,” a corporate paradise in the middle of a
historically Latino district, which clearly
doesn’t belong to the local residents. It was
clear where the momentum was going, as the
biggest cheers went up for the more radical
voices who seized the mic: “I’m feelin pretty
violent right now,” one insisted, “I’m on some
Malcolm X shit: by any means necessary. If I
don’t see some action, I’ma cause a ruckus myself.”

Oakland Burning

While some remained to hear additional speakers,
including hyphy hip-hopper Mistah FAB and the
recently-founded Coalition Against Police
Executions (CAPE), several hundred
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g0mLrRL0LA&feature=related>set
out on a militant and rapidly-moving march north
on International Boulevard. The police response
was initially hands-off, despite the tenor of the
chants: “No Justice, No Peace: Fuck the Police,”
and “La Migra, La Policia: La Misma Porqueria.”
If those in the passing cars and stuck in traffic
were of any indication, the local population knew
exactly what was going on, why we were
protesting, and were largely sympathetic.

As the march wound around Lake Merritt, it turned
sharply to the left, a shortcut to BART
headquarters. This seems to have thrown off the
police, who were clearly unprepared for what came
next. A single police car, parked sideways at 8th
and Madison to prevent access to the BART
headquarters, became the target of the crowd’s
increasing fury. Sensing the tone of the crowd, a
cop reached in and grabbed her helmet before
scurrying away. Within moments,
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DzqfE-LDzM>the
police car was destroyed and nearly flipped over,
and a nearby dumpster was burning.

A few seconds later, the air was thick with
teargas. Evidently, seeing their own property
destroyed was too much for the police to stomach.
(Note: there is no truth to
<http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/01/08/BART.shooting/index.html>the
CNN report that tear gas was deployed to protect
a surrounded officer). I get a noseful of
teargas, and a protestor near me is shot in the
stomach with a rubber bullet, and needs to be
helped off, as the crowd quickly sprints north
toward downtown. Passing through Chinatown,
dumpsters full of fresh produce are emptied into
the street to slow the march of a line of riot
police. When the crowd reaches Broadway, there is
momentary confusion, with some continuing
straight to Old Oakland, some pushing left toward
Jack London Square, and others urging a move rightward toward the city center.

The police took advantage of this momentary
indecision, with a full line charge that send
many of the furious demonstrators sprinting and
left many arrested. When the crowd regrouped, it
was promptly encircled at 14th and Broadway, and
a standoff ensued. Either by design or by a
predictable quirk of the police organization,
nearly every riot cop in the street was white,
some sneering defiantly. And if the crowd of
demonstrators was largely multiethnic, it was
clear by this point that the functional vanguard
was composed largely of the young, black
teenagers most acutely aware of their
relationship to the police. There were chants of
“We are all Oscar Grant!” and several protestors
lay in the middle of the street with their hands
behind their backs, mimicking the position in which Grant was executed.

Some small fires were set, and the police moved
in again, pushing the crowd down 14th toward Lake
Merritt. The spearhead of the demonstrators
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5361rUgc-Fg&feature=related>rushed
forward to shouts of “We the police today!”
smashing and torching vehicles, and while this
was done out of anger it was far from irrational,
as the press will certainly present it. Rather,
it was the result of a very clear line of
reasoning that goes something like this: we have
to do something, and in the face of police
impunity, this is all we can do. Nothing would be
more irrational than a blind faith that the
police will do the right thing, given all the
historical evidence to the contrary. While the
press is doing its best to find bystanders to
decry the “vandalism” involved, it couldn’t
ignore the testimony Oakland Post reporter Ken
Epstein, who was writing an article on the
killing when he looked out his office window to
see his Honda CRV in flames: “I’m sorry my car
was burned,”
<http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_11401338?source=most_viewed>Epstein
admitted, “but the issue is very upsetting.”

The crisp wintry air swirled and the lights
twinkled along the surface of Lake Merritt as
demonstrators demolished a local McDonalds, at
which point a line had clearly been crossed: a
police armored personnel carrier came tearing
down the street at 45 miles per hour, firing
rubber bullets and sending the crowd scattering.
The scene was surreal, with padded riot cops
leaping off the vehicle in an effort to win an
impossible footrace with younger and fitter demonstrators.

Dellums Steps In, Steps Out

 From the early moments of the demonstration, the
position of the mayor, Ron Dellums, was at issue.
Here was a mayor with a great deal of popular
respect, with longstanding civil rights
credentials, but who had done little to slow the
pace of police killing, among the other ongoing
ills plaguing postindustrial Oakland. With tear
gas swirling and the APCs circling, the mayor
decided to make his appearance at around 9pm,
walking the few blocks from City Hall down to
14th and Jackson to
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WFxAVlKQ44&feature=channel>address
the angry crowd himself. Several times he
attempted to scurry away under hard questions
that he could not answer, with the standard

I don’t remember what it was exactly that I
yelled at the mayor, but it certainly got to him.
As he was leaving the crowd, he turned and walked
directly up to me, putting his face a mere inches from my own.

Dellums: What I want people to do now is calm
down. I’ve told the police to stand down, and I
hope you all can do the same. Both sides need to
be peaceful right now so we can find out exactly what happened.

Me: But we know what happened! We’ve all seen the
video: A cop pulled his gun and shot an unarmed
black man in the back. And you know there are
reasons that certain people have guns pulled on them and others don’t.

Dellums: There are two processes currently underway

Me: The process is if I shoot someone, I’m
arrested. But if a cop shoots someone, he gets
put on paid administrative leave until everyone forgets about it.

Dellums: I’m asking both sides to be peaceful

Me: Both sides? I haven’t killed anybody, this
crowd hasn’t killed anybody. The police have
killed somebody, and you’re in charge of the
police! Who runs this city? When will the prisoners be released?

Dellums: Soon

Dellums then returned to City Hall, surveying the
damage. But as he entered, the angry crowd
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAAUje6CTzQ>booed
thunderously. And despite his claim that the
police had been ordered to stand down,
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qINg49yFPSw>clashes
broke out immediately on the same block, more
fires broke out, and more teargas was deployed.
The mayor’s intervention could do little to calm
Oakland’s frazzled nerves. His claim that the
people have lost faith in the police rings empty
for people who never had such faith in the first
place, people who have seen vicious police murder
after police murder without so much as an indictment.

The demonstrators continued to express their
pent-up rage, engaging in running battles until
nearly 11pm, when a mass arrest seems to have
quelled the resistance for the moment. All in
all, official numbers show 105 arrests (including
21 juveniles), more than 80 of which occurred
after Dellums claims to have told OPD to stand
down. Who knows if his promise of a speedy
release means anything at all.
<http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2009/01/08/18559980.php>Support
and solidarity demonstrations are scheduled this
week for the prisoners’ arraignments, and with
another mass mobilization scheduled for next Wednesday, this is far from over.

Intention as Privilege

As I have said, and at the risk of controversy I
will repeat: it doesn’t matter if Mehserle meant
to pull the trigger. He had already assumed the
role of sole arbiter over the life or death of
Oscar Grant. He had already decided that Grant,
by virtue of his skin color and appearance, was
worth less than other citizens. And rather than
acquitting the officer, all of the psychological
analyses and possible explanations of the
shooting that have been trotted-out in the press,
and all the discussion of the irrelevant elements
of Grant’s criminal history, have only proven this fundamental point.

If a young black or Latino male pulls a gun and
someone winds up dead, intention is never the
issue, and first-degree murder charges are on the
agenda, as well as likely murder charges for
anyone of the wrong color standing nearby. If we
reverse the current situation, and the gun is in
Oscar Grant’s hand, then racist voices would be
squealing for the death penalty regardless of
intention. And yet when it’s a cop pulling the
trigger, all the media and public opinion
resources are deployed to justify, understand,
and empathize with this unconscionable act. One
side is automatically condemned; the other automatically excused.

For now, the fires are out. But despite the
soothing words of Barack Obama and Ron Dellums,
there is no lack of fuel and no lack of spark in Oakland.

George Ciccariello-Maher is a Ph.D. candidate in
political theory at UC Berkeley. He lives in
Oakland, and can be reached at gjcm(at)berkeley.edu.