[News] Handicapped kids demonstrate in Jenin: We are not powerless and Gaza is not alone

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jan 9 10:52:49 EST 2009

Handicapped kids demonstrate in Jenin: We are not
powerless and Gaza is not alone
http://english.pnn.ps/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4454&Itemid=1

09.01.09 - 13:20

Jenin / Ali Samoudi – Children in the northern
West Bank’s Jenin are demonstrating against the
Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip with Dujana
Hassan Abu Kamal among those carrying a symbolic coffin.

The boy is handicapped and said he would give his
blood and soul for Gaza. Nonviolent Palestinian
demonstrations are taking place several times
daily throughout the West Bank and East Jerusalem.

His eyes blazed with anger when he said, “All of
my friends here with special needs are
demonstrating and want to say to the children of
Gaza that we are sad and we die in every moment with the children of Gaza.”

He said, “We are with you! We will not sit silent
as the world does. Enough of the silence of
death, the massacres must be stopped.”

No one is immune to the reality of the Gaza
Strip, handicapped children among them. Dujana’s
father said, “Despite his own suffering, the
suffering of all of these young people with
special needs, they are following the news with
us moment by moment. We are all in solidarity
with Gaza and it is heart breaking to see the grief and anger in my son.”

To counter the general international silence,
Dujana and hundreds of children decided to march
with the Union of Health Care Committees to a military checkpoint in Jenin.

The children shouted and cried out to the people
of Gaza, “We are with you every second!” Fourteen
year old Nadi is parallelized and insisted in
taking part in the part. She used her wheel chair
and carried pictures of child victims of the
ongoing bombings and destruction. “Our hearts and
blood and tears and rocked by the bloodshed. By
what right can Israel continue the massacre with
its aircraft and missiles that hunt down women
and children, destroying everything while the world is silent?!”

She continued, “We are children with special
needs and we will not be silent! We will not be
silent while the blood of victims killed in cold
blood is shed. We call on children all over the
world to stand with our siblings in Gaza where
even the schools are targets of the occupation.”

For more than two hours the children released
their cries into the streets of Jenin, some
carrying Palestinian flags and pictures of the
victims, others hoisted a symbolic coffin. The
sound of chants and songs filled the air during
this period of mourning, tears and pain. Twelve
year old Hamad was in a wheelchair carrying a
banner reading, “We are not powerless and Gaza is
not alone.” To the world he said, “You are
partners in the massacre until you make them stop it.”

Mohammad Jaber said, “Since the beginning of this
aggression our hearts are sad, we cannot eat, we
are waiting for the world to act to aid the
children of Gaza.” The 13 year old disabled boy
was visibly shaken and continued by saying, “Our
message through this is that our people in Gaza
are human beings and we need to protect them.”

Fifteen year old Salah said, “We are all human
beings who have the right to live freely and
without occupation,” while 13 year old Mustafa
Mohammad added, “Yes, we all suffer from a
disability, but we are not powerless to express
our feelings and emotions for the loss of so many
people killed by Israel’s bombardment. Stop the war, stop the bloodshed.”