[News] Separating the Truth from the Hype

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jan 6 11:54:55 EST 2009

http://www.counterpunch.org/whitney01062009.html

January 6, 2009

Separating the Truth from the Hype

The Gaza Bloodbath

By MIKE WHITNEY

In a rare moment of honesty, the New York Times
divulged the real motive behind the bombardment
and invasion of Gaza. In Ethan Bronner's article,
"Israel Weighs Goal: Ending Hamas Rule, Rocket
fire, or Both", Israeli Vice Premier Haim Ramon
said, "We need to reach a situation in which we
do not allow Hamas to govern. That is the most
important thing. If the war ends in a draw, as
expected, and Israel refrains from reoccupying
Gaza, Hamas will gain diplomatic recognition...No
matter what you call it, Hamas will obtain legitimacy.”

  According to the Times: "In addition, any truce
would probably include an increase in commercial
traffic from Israel and Egypt into Gaza, which is
Hamas’s central demand: to end the economic
boycott and border closing it has been facing. To
build up the Gaza economy under Hamas, Israeli
leaders say, would be to build up Hamas. Yet
withholding the commerce would continue to leave
1.5 million Gazans living in despair." (Israel
Weighs Goal: Ending Hamas Rule, Rocket fire, or Both; Ethan Bronner)

If Israel wants to prevent Hamas from "obtaining
legitimacy," than the real objective of the
invasion is to either severely undermine or
topple the regime. All the talk about the qassam
rockets and the so-called "Hamas infrastructure",
(the new phrase that is supposed to indicate a
threat to Israeli security) is merely a
diversion. What really worries Israel is the
prospect that Obama will "sit down with his
enemies"--as he promised during the presidential
campaign--and conduct talks with Hamas. That
would put the ball in Israel's court and force
them to make concessions.  But Israel does not
want to make concessions. They would rather start
a war and change the facts on the ground so they
can head-off any attempt by Obama to restart peace process.

Just days ago, Obama advisor, Zbigniew
Brzezinski, said in a televised interview, that
the last eight years proves that resolving the
Palestinian/Israeli conflict is critical to US
interests in the region. He added that the recent
fighting shows that the two parties cannot
achieve peace without US involvement.
Brzezinski's comments suggest that, at the very
least, the Obama camp is considering low-level
(secret?) talks with Hamas representatives. Every
day that Hamas abstains from violence; its
legitimacy as a political party grows and the
prospect of direct negotiations becomes more
likely. This is Israel's worst nightmare, not
because Hamas constitutes a real threat to
Israeli security, but because Israel wants to
install its own puppet regime and unilaterally
impose its own terms for a final settlement.
Neither Ehud Olmert or any of the candidates for
prime minister have any intention of getting
bogged down in another 8 years of fruitless
banter like Oslo where plans for settlement
expansion had to be concealed behind an elaborate
public relations smokescreen. No way. The Israeli
leadership would rather skip the pretense
altogether and pursue their territorial aims
openly as they have under Bush. And the goal is
the same as always; to integrate the occupied
territories into Greater Israel and leave the
Palestinians trapped in bantustans. Negotiations just make that harder.

Ariel Sharon's senior advisor, Dov Weisglass,
clarified Israel's position three years ago when
he admitted,  "The disengagement [from Gaza] is
actually formaldehyde. It supplies the amount of
formaldehyde that is necessary so that there will
not be a political process with the
Palestinians... this whole package that is called
the Palestinian state has been removed from our
agenda indefinitely." "Formaldehyde"; that says
it all. The point of the Israeli withdrawal from
Gaza was to silence critics and to make it appear
as though the Palestinians had achieved some type
of statehood. It was a complete sham. Sharon
believed that disengagement would stop foreign
leaders from badgering him to sit down with the
Palestinians and work out a mutually-acceptable
agreement. He never expected that elections would
throw a wrench in his plans and raise the
credibility of Hamas to the extent that it has
today. In the last two years, Hamas hasn' t
launched one suicide mission in Israel, which
shows that it has abandoned the armed struggle
and can be trusted to negotiate on its people's
behalf. That scares Israel, which is why they
initiated hostilities. Now, they need to seal the
deal by either removing Hamas before Obama is
sworn in or face pressure from the new
administration for dialogue. Meanwhile, Israeli
troop movements indicate that a plan may be in
place to divide Gaza into three parts, thus
making it impossible for Hamas to rule.

The UK Guardian confirms that the invasion was
really about regime change not rockets or Hamas infrastructure.

According to the Guardian: "A couple of days into
the assault on Gaza, Israel's ambassador to the
UN, Gabriela Shalev, said it would continue for
'as long as it takes to dismantle Hamas
completely'. Infuriated Israeli officials in
Jerusalem warned her that such statements could
set back the diplomatic offensive.

Dan Gillerman, Israel's ambassador to the UN
until a few months ago, was brought in by the
Foreign Ministry to help lead the diplomatic and
PR campaign. He said that the diplomatic and
political groundwork has been under way for months.

"This was something that was planned long ahead,"
he said. "I was recruited by the foreign minister
to coordinate Israel's efforts and I have never
seen all parts of a very complex machinery -
whether it is the Foreign Ministry, the Defence
Ministry, the prime minister's office, the police
or the army - work in such co-ordination, being
effective in sending out the message."

In briefings in Jerusalem and London, Brussels
and New York, the same core messages were
repeated: that Israel had no choice but to attack
the coming attack would be on "the infrastructure
of terror" in Gaza and the targets principally
Hamas fighters; that civilians would die, but it
was because Hamas hides its fighters and weapons
factories among ordinary people.

Hand in hand went a strategy to remove the issue
of occupation from discussion." (UK Guardian, "Why Israel went to war in Gaza")

The invasion was mapped out months ago, right
down to the bullet points that were passed out to
friends in the media. Nothing was left to chance.
That said, the public relations campaign was on
full display over the weekend when Israeli ground
troops and armored divisions swept into Gaza
unopposed. CNN had a coterie of ardent Zionists
on hand to justify the invasion in a carefully
scripted analysis of developments. Retired
Brigadier Gen. David Grange accompanied the
blatantly pro-Israel Wolf Blitzer saying that the
IDF had been "lured" into Gaza by Hamas so that
Hamas could execute its plan for "urban warfare".
Utter nonsense. Grange implied that the
subsequent slaughter of civilians was the work of
Hamas, not Israel. Even by CNN's abysmal standards, this is new low.

The media has worked in concert with the IDF
throughout, spinning a rationale from whole cloth
and cheerleading from every available soapbox.
But recent polls show that the public has
remained skeptical. Anti-Israel protests have
sprung up in capitals across the world, and
support for Israel is at its nadir. . Many people
are simply shocked to see the most advanced,
technological weaponry in the world being used in
densely populated areas where collateral damage
is bound to be heavy. It just makes Israel look
like a bully while the media looks like an
enabler. So far, the war has been a public
relations catastrophe. Over 500 Palestinians have
been killed and 2,400 wounded in a debacle of
Biblical proportions. Every day, new photographs
circulate on the internet showing the carnage
produced by the steady bombardment. On Monday,
the IDF killed two more Palestinian families, in
two separate incidents.  The mother, father and
eight children were killed when their house was
bombed by an American made F-16 early Monday
morning. Another family in the Shati refugee
camp, west of Gaza City, was butchered when their
home was struck by a shell from an Israeli ship
off the coast. The civilian toll continues to balloon with no end in sight.

Here's how one Gaza resident summed up the
bombing in an interview with an AP journalist:
"The Israeli forces attack everywhere. They have
gone crazy. The Gaza Strip is just going to die
... it's going to die. We were sleeping. Suddenly
we heard a bomb. We woke up and we didn't know
where to go. We couldn't see through the dust. We
called to each other. We thought our house had
been hit, not the street. What can I say? You saw
it with your own eyes. What is our guilt? Are we
terrorists? I don't carry a gun, neither does my
girl. What does Israel want? There's no medicine.
No drinks, no water, no gas. We are suffering
from hunger. They attack us. Can it be worse than
this?" All of Gaza has been traumatized.

The "invasion"--which is a word none of the
Israeli-centric media dares to use--(Israel
"entered" Gaza) is the equivalent of rampaging
through a concentration camp. (similar to the
massacre at Sabra and Shatilla) Still,
newspapers, like the New York Times, provide
cover for the attack by referring to Hamas
"bases" within Gaza. In truth, there are no bases
nor military installations of any kind. It's just
more lies. They have no army, no navy, and no air
force. The only threat that Gaza poses to Israel
is its people's unshakable commitment to end the occupation.

On CNN, Alan Dershowitz and other prominent
Zionists defend the invasion in their most
polished, lawyerly prose, but the public remains
unconvinced. What observers are seeing on the
internet is the broken bodies of children pulled
from the rubble of their homes and the terrifying
explosions in a city that languishes in complete
darkness. Nothing Dershowitz says can match the
imagery splattered minute by minute on the
screen. Israel has bombed mosques, ambulances,
bridges, tunnels, even a terrorist girls
dormitory. Since when is a girl's dormitory part
of "Hamas infrastructure"? Five sisters and their
mother were blow apart as they sat peacefully in
their own living room. Does Dershowitz really
believe he can elicit sympathy for the
perpetrators of these crimes? American support
for Israel is being tested; and that support is quickly eroding.

War is a blunt instrument for achieving one's
political objectives, and the costs can be
enormous for winner and loser alike. If Israel
manages to incite Hamas to the point where they
deploy suicide bombers to Tel Aviv or Jerusalem
then, perhaps, attitudes will shift in Israel's
favor. It is impossible to predict. But, clearly,
retaliation with suicide missions would be the
worst possible strategy for Hamas at this point.
Israel has lost the moral high-ground, but one
suicide bomber can change all that in a flash.
Besides, the bombings alienate the people who
sympathize with the Palestinian cause and make it
harder for them to be openly supportive. The only
people who benefit from suicide missions are the
right-wing fanatics within the Israeli political
establishment. Every Israeli civilian that's
killed just strengthens the Likudniks and their ilk.

ENDING THE CEASEFIRE: Who's to blame?

The media has made a big issue of the fact that
Hamas ended its ceasefire with Israel just days
before the bombardment of Gaza. But as Johann
Hari points out in his article "The True Story
Behind this War Is Not The One Israel Is Telling"
Hamas offered to maintain the ceasefire if Israel agreed to lift the blockade.

According to Hari:

"The core of the situation has been starkly laid
out by Ephraim Halevy, the former head of Mossad.
He says that while Hamas militants – like much of
the Israeli right-wing – dream of driving their
opponents away, "they have recognized this
ideological goal is not attainable and will not
be in the foreseeable future." Instead, "they are
ready and willing to see the establishment of a
Palestinian state in the temporary borders of
1967." They are aware that this means they "will
have to adopt a path that could lead them far
from their original goals" – and towards a
long-term peace based on compromise.....Halevy
explains: "Israel, for reasons of its own, did
not want to turn the ceasefire into the start of
a diplomatic process with Hamas."

Why would Israel act this way? The Israeli
government wants peace, but only one imposed on
its own terms, based on the acceptance of defeat
by the Palestinians. It means the Israelis can
keep the slabs of the West Bank on "their" side
of the wall. It means they keep the largest
settlements and control the water supply. And it
means a divided Palestine, with responsibility
for Gaza hived off to Egypt, and the broken-up
West Bank standing alone. Negotiations threaten
this vision: they would require Israel to give up
more than it wants to. But an imposed peace will
be no peace at all: it will not stop the rockets
or the rage. For real safety, Israel will have to
talk to the people it is blockading and bombing
today, and compromise with them. (Johann Hari,
"The True Story Behind this War Is Not The One Israel Is Telling")

Hari's article further confirms our basic thesis
that the aggression in Gaza has nothing to do
with terrorism, security, or Hamas
infrastructure. In fact, Hamas appears to be
ready to settle for much less than they
originally hoped for.  In this particular case,
all they wanted was a promise from Israel to end
the blockade, but Israel refused. Collective
punishment of Palestinians has become a habit,
like smoking or taking drugs. Israel can do what
it wants. If it decides to cut off the food and
medicine to 1.5 million people or bomb them into
oblivion; no one can stop them. The UN and
Washington just roll over and play dead. Why
should they negotiate; they can do whatever they
want. The world is their apple.

ISMAIL HANIYEH: "We do not wish to throw the Jews into the sea".

"Oh...who will stop the windmills in my head?
Who will remove the knives from my heart?
Who will kill my poor children...?
In order that they do not...grow up in the red
furnished apartments..."

("Ending" by Amal Dunqul; translated by Angry Arab News Service)

On Monday, Israeli warplanes bombed the offices
of a man who has helped to save the lives of more
Jews than anyone in the Knesset. That man is
Palestinian Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh.
Haniyeh has supported the ban on suicide missions
which has lasted for more than two years despite
the blockade of food, medicine, fuel, and
electrical power to the Gaza Strip and despite
the daily bombings, incursions, arrests,
assassinations and countless other humiliations
associated with occupation. Hundreds of Israeli
civilians are alive today because Haniyeh and his
Hams colleagues abandoned the armed struggle and entered politics.

On Friday, Israeli spokeswoman, Major Avital
Leibovich, announced that "Hamas leaders were
also marked men. We have defined legitimate
targets as any Hamas-affiliated target." That
means that Haniyeh is now on Israel's hit list.

In a February 2006 interview with the Washington
Post, Haniyeh dispelled many of the lies
circulating in the western media about Hamas. He
said that he wanted to see an end the "vicious
cycle of violence" and vehemently denied the
claim that "Hamas is committed to destroying
Israel". He said, "We do not have any feelings of
animosity toward Jews. We do not wish to throw
them into the sea. All we seek is to be given our
land back, not to harm anybody....We are not war
seekers nor are we war initiators. We are not
lovers of blood. We are oppressed people with rights."

Wa Post: "Would Hamas recognize Israel if it were
to withdraw to the '67 borders?"

Haniyeh: "If Israel withdraws to the '67 borders,
then we will establish peace in stages... We will
establish a situation of stability and calm which
will bring safety for our people.

Wa Post: "Do you recognize Israel's right to exist?"

Haniyeh: "The answer is to let Israel say it will
recognize a Palestinian state along the 1967
borders, release the prisoners and recognize the
rights of the refugees to return to Israel. Hamas
will have a position if this occurs."

Wa Post: "Will you recognize Israel?"

Haniyeh: "If Israel declares that it will give
the Palestinian people a state and give them back
all their rights, then we are ready to recognize them."

Haniyeh's answers are straightforward and
rational. He asked for nothing that isn't already
required under existing United Nations
resolutions; a return to the 1967 borders, basic
human rights, and settlement of the final status
issues. An agreement could be facilitated
tomorrow if Israel was willing to conform to
international law. Instead, Israel has chosen to
invade Gaza. For 60 years it has employed the same failed strategy.

Haniyeh again:

"Israel's unilateral movements of the past year
will not lead to peace. These acts -- the
temporary withdrawal of forces from Gaza, the
walling off of the West Bank -- are not strides
toward resolution but empty, symbolic acts that
fail to address the underlying conflict. Israel's
nearly complete control over the lives of
Palestinians is never in doubt, as confirmed by
the humanitarian and economic suffering of the
Palestinians since the January elections."

"We want what Americans enjoy -- democratic
rights, economic sovereignty and justice. We
thought our pride in conducting the fairest
elections in the Arab world might resonate with
the United States and its citizens. Instead, our
new government was met from the very beginning by
acts of explicit, declared sabotage by the White
House. Now this aggression continues against 3.9
million civilians living in the world's largest
prison camps. America's complacency in the face
of these war crimes is, as usual, embedded in the
coded rhetorical green light: "Israel has a right to defend itself."

Haniyeh's efforts for reconciliation are doomed.
Israel will not bargain or compromise. The
Israeli state is driven by an ideology which
requires continuous expansion and subjugation.
There's nothing Haniyeh can do to change that.
The answer to the present crisis lies within
Zionism itself, the philosophical underpinning of Jewish nationalism.
In his recent article, "Israel's Righteous Fury
and its Victims in Gaza", Ilan Pappe, the chair
in the Department of History at the University of
Exeter, explains Zionism in terms of its effect
on Israeli policy vis a vis the invasion of Gaza:

"There are no boundaries to the hypocrisy that a
righteous fury produces. The discourse of the
generals and the politicians is moving
erratically between self-compliments of the
humanity the army displays in its "surgical"
operations on the one hand, and the need to
destroy Gaza for once and for all, in a humane way of course, on the other.

This righteous fury is a constant phenomenon in
the Israeli, and before that Zionist,
dispossession of Palestine. Every act whether it
was ethnic cleansing, occupation, massacre or
destruction was always portrayed as morally just
and as a pure act of self-defense reluctantly
perpetrated by Israel in its war against the
worst kind of human beings. In his excellent
volume The Returns of Zionism: Myths, Politics
and Scholarship in Israel, Gabi Piterberg
explores the ideological origins and historical
progression of this righteous fury. Today in
Israel, from Left to Right, from Likud to Kadima,
from the academia to the media, one can hear this
righteous fury of a state that is more busy than
any other state in the world in destroying and
dispossessing an indigenous population.

It is crucial to explore the ideological origins
of this attitude and derive the necessary
political conclusions form its prevalence. This
righteous fury shields the society and
politicians in Israel from any external rebuke or
criticism. But far worse, it is translated always
into destructive policies against the
Palestinians. With no internal mechanism of
criticism and no external pressure, every
Palestinian becomes a potential target of this
fury. Given the firepower of the Jewish state it
can inevitably only end in more massive killings,
massacres and ethnic cleansing.

The self-righteousness is a powerful act of
self-denial and justification. It explains why
the Israeli Jewish society would not be moved by
words of wisdom, logical persuasion or diplomatic
dialogue. And if one does not want to endorse
violence as the means of opposing it, there is
only one way forward: challenging head-on this
righteousness as an evil ideology meant to cover
human atrocities. Another name for this ideology
is Zionism and an international rebuke for
Zionism, not just for particular Israeli
policies, is the only way of countering this
self-righteousness." ("Israel's Righteous Fury
and its Victims in Gaza", Ilan Pappe)

It wouldn't make a bit of difference if Hamas
surrendered tomorrow and handed-over all its
weapons to Israel, because the problem isn't
Hamas; it's Zionism, the deeply-flawed ideology
which leads to bombing children in their homes
while clinging to victim-hood. Ideas have consequences. Gaza proves it.

Mike Whitney lives in the Pacific Northwest and
can be reached at <mailto:fergiewhitney at msn.com>fergiewhitney at msn.com