[News] The Only Palestinian Woman in Israel's Parliament

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Feb 25 14:57:43 EST 2009

http://www.counterpunch.org/cook02242009.html
February 24, 2009

Arab Parties Face Most Hostile Knesset in History

The Only Palestinian Woman in Israel's Parliament

By JONATHAN COOK

Nazareth.

When Israel’s 18th parliament opened today, there
was only one Arab woman among its intake of legislators.

Haneen Zoubi has made history: although she is
not the first Arab woman to enter the Israeli
parliament, the Knesset, she is the first to be elected for an Arab party.

Sitting in her home in Nazareth, the effective
capital of Israel’s 1.2 million Palestinian
citizens, she is dismissive of her predecessors,
two women elected on behalf of Zionist parties.
“They were worse than decorations,” she said.
“Decorations don’t do any harm, but these women
damaged our society. They were no role models at all.”

Ms Zoubi, 39, a representative of the Tajamu
Party, known for its Palestinian nationalist
platform, has already shown she will not be
following in their path. On a recent induction
day for Knesset members, she made headlines
locally when she pointed out to an official who
repeatedly referred to “the territories” that he
meant “the occupied Palestinian territories”.

Her election is not Ms Zoubi’s only pioneering
moment. She was the first Palestinian citizen to
graduate from a media studies course in Israel,
at Hebrew University in Jerusalem, and she
established the first media classes in Arab
schools. For the past six years she has headed an
organisation exposing Israeli media bias.

Her priority now, she said, is to advance both
the cause of the fifth of the country’s
population who are Palestinians, commonly
referred to as “Israeli Arabs”, and the cause of Palestinian women in Israel.

“I don’t want to become the Knesset address for
Arab women’s issues. I need to raise the interest
of the men in my party on women’s issues, not
allow their interest to wane because they can dump the issue on me.”

But she said she does represent a demand among
the minority’s women for change and political
involvement. “Women congratulate me in the
street. Even women I know who are usually
supporters of the Islamic movement or who were
planning to boycott the election because of
[Israel’s recent attack on] Gaza came and told me they voted for me.”

Alongside her will be nine male Arab party
legislators: two from Tajamu, four from an
Islamic party and three from the Communist party. A remaining one is Jewish.

They will be facing the most hostile Knesset in
history. Of the parliament’s 120 members, at
least 65 are classified as belonging to the right
and far-right and may yet form a governing coalition.

Avigdor Lieberman’s party, Yisrael Beiteinu,
which threatens to strip Israel’s Palestinians of
citizenship unless they pledge loyalty to a
Jewish state, has 15 seats. One of the National
Union’s four legislators, Michael Ben-Ari, a
former member of an outlawed anti-Arab terrorist
group, is appointing two extremist settlers from Hebron as parliamentary aides.

“In a proper state, Lieberman’s programme would
be declared illegal. But the real concern is not
his platform but that it has been legitimised by
the main Zionist parties,” including Kadima,
whose leader is Tzipi Livni, and the Likud Party
of Benjamin Netanyahu, who is attempting to cobble together a ruling coalition.

Tajamu is almost universally despised by Jewish
legislators. Its founder, Azmi Bishara, is living
in exile after he was accused of treason over the
2006 Lebanon war; its officials are hounded by
the secret police, the Shin Bet; and, as in other
recent elections, Zionist parties attempted to
bar Tajamu from running. The courts overruled the move.

Ms Zoubi said she will not be fazed. “The Knesset
is always hostile to Arab Knesset members and we
are well used to their racist language. Even the
building shows us we are not welcome. Everywhere
there are Jewish symbols – from the Star of David
on the flag to the menorahs – that we as Palestinians cannot identify with.”

Like other Palestinian citizens, she has watched
the TV news bulletins showing Jewish legislators,
even cabinet ministers, shouting down Arab
legislators in the Knesset chamber and having them ejected.

The racist discourse that lies behind Knesset
debates is a concern, she said. “It is
frustrating and exhausting having always to be on
the defensive about why I identify as a
Palestinian, why I am not a Zionist, why the
Jewish state is not democratic and cannot
represent me, why I am entitled to citizenship. It is a Sisyphean labour.”

She admits to boycotting the first Knesset election after she turned 18.

“There is a significant group in our society that
calls for a boycott, saying we will always be
excluded from the political system here. But we
need a Palestinian voice in the Knesset. I and
the other Palestinian MKs are an obstacle to the
Zionist parties’ success in trying to control our society’s consciousness.”

The party’s platform – developed by Mr Bishara –
is to reform Israel from a Jewish state into a
“state of all its citizens”, a programme now advocated by all the Arab parties.

“The Jewish public don’t like self-confident,
unapologetic Arabs, which is why Azmi was always
feared. But actually I think there is a base of
support even among Jews for reforming Israel into
a proper democracy, maybe as much as 30 per cent.”

She hopes that her election – by breaking one of
Jewish society’s stereotypes about the
Palestinian public – may start to win over more
Israeli Jews to the party’s programme.

In the meantime, she said, Tajamu will work to
oppose confiscation of Arab land and house
demolitions, and demand proper infrastructure in
the minority’s communities, as well as have their
educational and economic rights recognised.

But she is critical of the Palestinian minority’s
dominant political demand for many decades:
equality. “The struggle solely for equality
treats me as a number, it reduces me to part of a
mathematical formula. It ignores my history,
identity and narrative as a Palestinian. I want
to be a full Israeli citizen, but it must not
come at the expense of my people’s collective
rights to an identity and a past.”

Jonathan Cook is a writer and journalist based in
Nazareth, Israel. His latest books are “Israel
and the Clash of Civilisations: Iraq, Iran and
the Plan to Remake the Middle East” (Pluto Press)
and “Disappearing Palestine: Israel's Experiments
in Human Despair” (Zed Books). His website is
<http://www.jkcook.net>www.jkcook.net.

A version of this article originally appeared in
The National
(<http://www.thenational.ae>www.thenational.ae), published in Abu Dhabi.