[News] Discovering Robeson - play schedule Bay Area Feb 6-22

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Feb 4 16:40:20 EST 2009

Bay Area Paul Robeson Centennial Committee presents

DISCOVERING ROBESON

Paul Robeson "was at the same time one of the
most famous singers in the world and the champion
of the civil rights movement. Tayo Aluko's
portrayal of Robeson is spot on. In about an hour
you learn everything about Robeson, but this is
no dry history lesson, rather a thrilling, moving
and marvelously entertaining musical drama.
Aluko's singing of Robeson songs like Ol' Man
River and Steal Away is totally soulful and convincing – just like this show!"

We are pleased to announce the return of Tayo
Aluko to the Bay Area from Liverpool, UK with a
BLACK HISTORY MONTH TOUR of California and the
East Coast with his award-winning play, which
sold out the Phoenix Theatre in San Francisco
last September. Mr Aluko also brings with him a
newly developed presentation titled DISCOVERING
ROBESON, in which he tells the fascinating story
of his quest to bring the great man's remarkable
story to new audiences in theatres across the UK,
North America and Africa since he was first
introduced to Robeson some twenty years after his
death. As in CALL MR ROBESON, Mr Aluko tells the
story with a generous helping of his own performances of many Robeson songs!

DISCOVERING ROBESON has received similar rave
reviews as CALL MR ROBESON, including these:
"Thank you for taking me back to my childhood,
enabling me to share it with my father in his last days."
"A most moving experience. Makes me want to learn more about this great man."
"I'm so glad Paul Robeson is being brought to
life again through you
 I can't wait to see the full play!"
Bay Area Tour dates are as follows:

Friday, February 6, 7.00 pm San Jose City College, DISCOVERING ROBESON
College Theater, 2100 Moorpark Ave, San Jose,
General Public $10, Students $5 Tel 408 288 3190

Sunday, February 8, 7.00 pm, La Peña, DISCOVERING ROBESON
3105 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley,
Advance Tickets $12, Box Office 510 849 2568 x20;
<http://www.lapena.org/>www.lapena.org
Door $15, Seniors and Students $13

Friday February 13, 7.00 pm, San Jose State University, DISCOVERING ROBESON
Morris Dailey Auditorium Middle Campus Entrance E
San Fernando and S. 6th Streets
Admission $5 Email:
<http://us.mc599.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=gvillagran@casa.sjsu.edu>gvillagran at casa.sjsu.edu

Sunday February 15, 5.00 pm, Black Repertory
Theatre, Berkeley, CALL MR ROBESON
3201 Adeline Tickets $20, $15 $12 for students. Tel: 800 838 3006

Friday-Sunday, February 20–22, 8pm, Phoenix Theatre, CALL MR ROBESON
314 Mason Street 4th floor San Francisco Tickets $25/$20 Tel: 800-838-3006

Further details, contact: Mbali Creazzo: 415-710-5348

Call Mr Robeson:
Winner, Angel Award for Artistic Excellence;
Nominee, Best Show.
Tayo Aluko: Winner, Best Male Performer.
Brighton Festival Fringe, May 2008

Tayo Aluko and Friends Ltd.
24-26 Mount Pleasant
Liverpool L3 5RY