[News] One year since Israel attacked Gaza - Call from Gaza

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Sun Dec 20 11:00:29 EST 2009

Haidar Eid – A Call From Gaza

Dec 20th, 2009 at 14:50 •
http://palestinethinktank.com/2009/12/20/haidar-eid-a-call-from-gaza/

This week marks one year since Israel began its
attack on the Gaza Strip: a year since phosphorus
bombs, DIME bombs and other weapons of death and
destruction were unleashed on a defenseless
civilian population. A year since the people of
the world demanded that Israel end its attack on Gaza.

In this Israeli war of aggression on the occupied
Gaza Strip, many of our civilians were massacred
by Israel’s indiscriminate bombing, condemned by
UN experts and leading human rights organizations
as war crimes and crimes against humanity. This
assault left over 1,440 Palestinians dead,
predominantly civilians, of whom 431 were
children. Another 5380 Palestinians were injured.
We, the 1.5 million Palestinians in the besieged
Gaza Strip, the overwhelming majority of whom are
refugees who were violently expelled from our
homes by Zionist forces in 1948, were subjected
to three weeks of relentless Israeli state
terror, whereby Israeli warplanes systematically
targeted civilian areas, reduced whole
neighborhoods and vital civilian infrastructure
to rubble and partially destroyed scores of
schools, including several run by the UN, where
civilians were taking shelter. This came after 18
months of an ongoing, crippling, deadly hermetic
Israeli siege of Gaza, a severe form of
collective punishment described by John
Dugard,the UN Special Rapporteur for Human Rights as “a prelude to genocide.”

The war on Gaza was predicated and advocated for
by Israeli generals and politicians. Matan
Vilnai, ex-Deputy Defense Minister of Israel,
told Army Radio during "Operation Hot Winter" (29 February 2008):

They will bring upon themselves a bigger shoah
because we will use all our might to defend ourselves.

In the days following this statement, 107
Palestinians, including 28 children, were killed.
The international community failed to take
action. This inaction, followed by European
declarations of intentions to upgrade their trade
agreements with Israel, served as a green light
for the atrocities that were to be committed in January 2009.

But the attack on Gaza is not yet over: we, the
Palestinians of Gaza are still living with our
physical, mental and emotional wounds. Our bodies
cannot heal because the medicine that we require
is not allowed into the Gaza Strip. Our homes
cannot be rebuilt and the mangled steel and
concrete cannot be removed because the trucks and
bulldozers that can remove them are not allowed into the Gaza Strip.

Never before has a population been denied the
basic requirements for survival as a deliberate
policy of colonization, occupation and apartheid,
but this is what Israel is doing to us, the
people of Gaza, today: 1.5 million people live
without a secure supply of water, food,
electricity, medicines, with almost half of them
being children under the age of 15.

It is a slow genocide of the kind unparalleled in human history.

Earlier this month, Ronnie Kasrils, ex South
African Intelligence Minister and member of the
ANC, said in the UK, that what Israel is doing to
the Palestinians is far worse than what was done
to black South Africans under apartheid. And,
former American president Jimmy Carter said, on
his visit to Gaza, that the Palestinian people
trapped in Gaza are being treated "like animals."

The people of Gaza need your support to end the
blockade. Over 1400 international activists from
over 42 countries will be in Gaza on December 31.
They will march with us to demand that Israel
lift its blockade of the Gaza Strip immediately
and permanently. We ask you to show your
solidarity with Gaza on the same day: wherever
you may be, organize a protest, a march or a
petition collection in your own country.

There are 1.5 million people in Gaza: we want to
see 1.5 million people around the world support
us as we take our demands to the Israeli state.

We need you to show Israel that we have a common
humanity; that you watch what it does and you
will not tolerate it because silence is complicity.

We need you to show Israel on December 31 2009
that there is no place for their kind of war
mongering and barbarism in the world and that the
people of the world reject it.

We need you to show us, the people of Gaza, that
you remember the horror that we face each day,
and that you are with us as we fight against the
Israeli-apartheid killing machine.

Gaza
20.December.2009

Signed by: