[News] Canada must withdraw troops from Afghanistan immediately

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Dec 3 10:37:09 EST 2009

Canada must withdraw troops from Afghanistan immediately

December 03, 2009 By Malalai Joya
http://www.straight.com/article-273047/vancouver/malalai-joya-canada-must-withdraw-troops-afghanistan-immediately

I have just completed a two-week speaking tour across Canada,
bringing a message to the great people of this country: The people of
Afghanistan are fed up with the occupation of their country and with
the corrupt, Mafia-state of Hamid Karzai and the warlords and drug
lords backed by NATO.

On behalf of the suffering people of Afghanistan, I offer my
condolences to the families here who have lost their loved ones. I
believe these fallen soldiers, themselves, are the victims of the
wrong policy of your government. The families of Afghan civilians
killed in this war share your feelings of loss.

If we turn these sorrows into strength, we can end this war. Bringing
the troops home at the end of 2011 is too late; the troops should be
withdrawn as soon as possible, before more Afghan and Canadian lives
are needlessly lost.

Today, it has become an open secret that the Canadian government of
Stephen Harper has been complicit in the torture of countless
innocent Afghans. This is just one reason people in Kandahar and
across my country are tired of this war.

It is clear now that the real motive of the U.S. and its allies,
hidden behind the so-called "war on terror", was to convert
Afghanistan into a military base in Central Asia and the capital of
the world's opium drug trade. Ordinary Afghan people are being used
in this chess game, and western taxpayers' money and the blood of
soldiers is being wasted on this agenda that will only further
destabilize the region.

The recent so-called election in Afghanistan tells you all you need
to know about what kind of "democracy" has been imposed by the
occupation. It is ridiculous to Afghans that the Harper government
and Defence Minister Peter MacKay have called this process a
"successful election".

Even the cats of Afghanistan laugh at this kind of statement, because
everyone knows that this was the most fraudulent election possible.
Before the vote, people on the streets predicted the outcome with a
proverb, "It will be the same donkey with a new saddle." In the end,
in fact, we have seen that even the saddle-Karzai-is not new.

Now that Karzai has been inaugurated again, the nature of his
government is more obvious than ever. Both of his new vice-president,
Fahim and Khalili, are warlords with the blood of innocents on their
hands. In Kandahar, where Canadian troops have been stationed for
years, Karzai's brother is reported to be involved in drug
trafficking, and the New York Times recently reported that he's been
receiving regular payments from the U.S. CIA.

So do not be deceived by talk of Karzai cleaning up corruption. His
appointment of a new anticorruption team is a case of the rabbit
being put in charge of the carrots.

Torture, drug trafficking, the continued rule of warlords and
fundamentalists-these are the only things that this war has brought
Afghans. Today, our people are being vicitimized by two enemies: the
occupation forces bombing us from the sky, and the warlords and their
Taliban brothers-in-creed.

If the troops withdraw, it will be easier for Afghans to fight one
enemy and to determine our own future. It is the duty of the Afghan
people to work for freedom and democracy; these values can never be
donated to us by the very foreign powers who-after nearly three
decades of funding various fundamentalists are arming warlords and
other criminals-are responsible for many of the problems Afghanistan
faces today.

While I am opposed to the policy of the Canadian government in
Afghanistan, I have been very moved by the support of ordinary people
across this country, from Victoria to Halifax. Having spoken to big
public meetings in cities right across this country, it is clear that
the Canadian people are fed up with their government's policy in
Afghanistan. Let's raise our voices together to end this unjust and
devastating war.

Malalai Joya was the youngest woman elected to the Afghan Parliament
in 2005. She has recently completed a cross-Canada book tour in
support of her new
<http://www.straight.com/article-270310/vancouver/afghan-activist-wants-natos-mission-end>political
memoir, written with Vancouver writer and activist Derrick O'Keefe, A
Woman Among Warlords: The Extraordinary Story of an Afghan Who Dared
to Raise Her Voice.