[News] The Freedom Archives needs your support

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Dec 24 16:52:52 EST 2009

Dear Friends.

We just celebrated our 10th Anniversary!  Thanks
to so many of you for joining us for this
successful event. If you missed the party, you
can still contribute to making our next decade even more significant.

https://co.clickandpledge.com/sp/d2/default.aspx?wid=20629

In 1999 we became an organization “on paper” and
on January 1st, 2000 we moved boxes of tapes into
our present space. We built shelves. We started
to gather equipment and began sorting through
many thousands of hours of materials­a task that
continues today. We continue to add to the
growing audio and video collection. Ten years ago
we began with a modest budget of $100 per month
which covered rent, phones, and little else. As
you may know, we’ve never requested government or
corporate funding. We receive no operating
support from large foundations. We raise funds
among a small number of people. We knew then that
a community-based, grassroots approach would lead
to a much stronger type of organization – an
archive not tied to any outside agendas or funding trends.

[]

Leticia Miranda, Prentis Hemphill, Sele Nadel-Hayes & Claude Marks
The staff over the last 10 years

Today we have a viable community organization
that works with high school and college students
in an active youth training program and serves as
a source of unique historical materials for
researchers, teachers and documentary producers.
In ten years, we’ve produced CDs and videos,
catalogued thousands of hours of media, been
sampled by garage bands and professional rockers,
spoken-word artists, jazz musicians, and DJs.
These amazing sounds also live at the Museum of
the African Diaspora, in murals on the streets of
the Mission, and in documentaries done by
independent artists who seek context and content.
The audio and video collection of the Freedom
Archives is sampled, broadcast, and web streamed
in schools, festivals, and community
centers.  Our materials are used throughout the world.

We’ve met amazing people and collaborated in
creative ways­across generations and with all the
richness that collectivity promotes.  Our video
Legacy of Torture played an important role in the
victory of the San Francisco 8. We’ve gained
support and supporters by organizing, rather than
turning to the corporate and non-profit game. We
are there for the community, and that community
is there for us. That’s why we’re celebrating ten strong years!

We’ve enclosed a flyer that lists the CDs and
DVDs we have produced and announces our next film
– COINTELPRO 101 – which will be released in the spring of 2010.

Looking toward the future, our ability to
maintain our integrity and continue to expand our
capacity depends on you. Every contribution
counts, no matter the amount. Please show us that
you agree with our goals – the need to preserve
radical history and culture – the need to spark
the imagination of new generations by introducing
them to the inspiring voices and images of the
past – and the need to create tools that can
succeed in strengthening social justice work for years to come.

Thanks to those of you in the Bay Area who joined
us to celebrate the Archives’ anniversary with a
great party. Thanks to our contributors who have
provided the “fuel” for the first ten years of the Freedom Archives.

Please consider supporting our work. You can make
a donation by sending us a check or by making an on-line contribution.

https://co.clickandpledge.com/sp/d2/default.aspx?wid=20629

Through our website you can also become a monthly
sustainer. Here’s to the next ten years!

Our sincere thanks