[News] Puerto Rico - interview with the leadership of Los Macheteros

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Dec 18 10:50:21 EST 2009

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH THE LEADERSHIP OF LOS MACHETEROS

Claridad

<http://www.claridadpuertorico.com>www.claridadpuertorico.com

December 16, 2009

Ten months have passed since the administration
of Luis Fortuño and the PNP [New Progressive
Party, pro-statehood] came to power.  What
analysis have the Macheteros made of the situation of the country today?

The loss of gubernatorial candidate Anibal
Acevedo Vila, of the PPD [Popular Democratic
Party, pro-Commonwealth] at the hands of the
candidate of the PNP Luis Fortuño does not
radically change the neoliberal policies of
either party.  Both speak of peace, justice, and
social freedom.  Both used demagoguery to come to
power.  Both awoke enormous feelings of hope in
the masses, when the reality is that it does not
matter which party wins the elections, both
parties respond to the interests of the US
bourgeoisie and the local bourgeoisie, within
whom are banks, developers, contractors, etc.

Notwithstanding, because Luis Fortuño is a
fervent servant of Republican capitalist
neo-liberal policies, he has put in motion a
strategy geared to shrink the government,
privatize everything that interests lenders and
capitalists, eliminate everything that keeps
alive the Puerto Rican nation and its culture,
and, above all, present the capitalists,
investors, truly the powerful, as those who are
necessary to save Puerto Rico from the
catastrophe it is experiencing, which all
previous governments are responsible for, including Mr. Luis Fortuño.

Our organization, the Ejercito Popular Boricua –
Macheteros, understands that since the swearing
in of the current governor the situation has been
disastrous, constantly moving towards a
privileged class to the detriment of the
people.  His performance and that of the
Legislature and the legislation it approves, has
only responded to the Republican vision of those
capitalists that promoted Luis Fortuño as
candidate for governor when faced with a
discredited candidate from the Partido Popular.

What evaluation has been made concerning the main
actions taken by Fortuño, his government, the
Legislature, and approved legislation?

This colonial legislature is, probable to some
degree, worse than its predecessors.  It has not
demonstrated the capacity to legislate with
creativity and sensitivity.  The only thing it
has in mind is a desire to promote ideology,
political and economic, and for this they do not
hesitate to sink the people into a situation of
poverty.  By the same token, we have seen how any
opposition – including opposition party
legislators, persons, or institutions - is
humiliated, devalued, and crushed.  The only
thing we can add here is that the lack of a
strong and rational opposition makes legislators
from the PPD accomplices of the violations on the part of the majority party.

The work of Mr. Luis Fortuño, his legislature,
the varying pieces of legislation approved
without considering the opinions of the union
sector, environmentalists, communities, young
people, of political movements and the people in
general, the designation of the ‘ex FBI employee’
and murderer-yet-to-be-sentenced [as police
chief], Jose Figueroa Sancha, who main goal is
confrontation, has moved different segments of
Puerto Rican society to protest, conduct strikes,
takeovers, pickets, marches, natural reactions
when faced with the injustice and repression which face them as the people.

What opinion does the organization have
concerning the reaction of popular movements –
workers, communities, environmentalists, civil
society – to these neoliberal policies?  How do
you evaluate the participation of the
independence movement in these situations?

Independence-supporting organizations have failed
during this entire situation, because as it
stands today we don’t feel that it has developed
an offensive plan when faced with the current
administration and much less does it have a
united vision concerning its potential
contributions during this historic time.  This is
the perfect time, as a united front, to send a
clear and precise message to the people
indicating that the situation wont be resolved by
replacing Luis Fortuño with [PNP pro-statehood
Senate Speaker] Thomas Rivera Schatz o any other
PNP figure, nor would it be resolved by replacing
them with a candidate from the
[pro-commonwealth/colony] PPD during the next
election.  Elections in Puerto Rico have always
been manipulated and thus the elected do not
represent the people; they represent the
interests of the colonial power and the interests
of the bankers and business.  It is why elections
do not resolve the great economic and social
problems of our nation.  We have only seen much
of the same during these months of the Fortuño
administration: the rich have benefited while
there is oppression and suffering for the people.

The Independence movement has the obligation to
stand in the front lines of each protest and
demonstration and not allow ourselves to choose
to support one group over another.  Political
cannibalism within the independence movement
should be eradicated once and for all.  We, the
clandestine organizations, are evaluating the
current situation and we are implementing unitary
policies in order to support the people during the current situation.

There is talk of a General Strike and we ask
ourselves if as of today a tactical and strategic
plan has been prepared to delineate all that has
to be resolved before such a General Strike is
called.  This consists of everything from the
formation of a single chain of command that is
charged with substituting leadership in the case
of arrests or assassinations which counts with
the participation of all affected groups, (this
chain of command should take all security
precautions to prevent infiltration by
informants), the coordination of communication
that covers the entire island, the creation of
special groups, the clear and precise definition
of negotiable demands which do not favor one
group over another, being clear that such a
General Strike cannot be conducted by one
singular group like the unions sector, and that
demands include: rejection of privatization,
returning to work all unionized and non-unionized
workers including those of the private sector,
and the firing of the Police Superintendent, the murderer Jose Figueroa Sancha.

What would you say is the current state of the
struggle for Puerto Rico’s Independence, given
the processes shaping a progressive Latin American today?

Some independence supporters, evaluating the
current state of the struggle for independence,
come to the conclusion that we are much closer
now than before. They argue that as independence
supporters we have more access to the media than
before, that the victory in Vieques was a
manifestation of support for independence, that
there is a segment in the PPD that allegedly
supports sovereignty (sovereignty without
independence??), and that we have achieved a
progression with sectors with the PPD in that
these sectors take part in certain
initiatives.  Is it possible in a colony to
achieve advances between colonialists and the
colonized?  How is it possible to talk about
conversations and successes with those who have
sustained and sustain the colony, when even amongst ourselves there is discord?

How is it possible that after the assassination
of the Secretary General of the Ejercito Popular
Boricua Macheteros, Comandante Filiberto Ojeda
Rios, reference is made about the call for unity
that he made practically before his
assassination, and today, each organization does
its own thing without coming to unifying
agreements geared toward conducting joint actions
towards the achievement of a truly free and sovereign Republic?

We cannot solely depend on the international
support of those countries who show us
solidarity, like Venezuela, Cuba, Nicaragua, or
much less think that the process taking place in
Latin America will be inclusive if we do not
demonstrate to these Latin American compañeros to
what point we are willing to go in order to achieve independence.

How is the organization?  What role does it plan
on playing in the strengthening of the
independence movement and overall struggle?

Our organization has not changed its
military-political vision of struggle, which was
established by the compañero Comandante Filiberto
Ojeda Rios and the leadership at that time.  Our
organization and its members have always had an
elevated ideological conviction which is
accompanied by a spirit of valor and sacrifice,
as was demonstrated by our Secretary General
Comandante Filiberto Ojeda Rios in the most
glorious moment of his life, in sacrificing it
for the homeland, for his people, in confronting
the invading enemy, the assassins for
hire.  Within guerilla movements there is the
expectation that each guerrilla fighter dominate
his weapon.  Filiberto learned a long time ago
how to dominate his.  We expect all of us to do the same.

We will continue to participate in all those
trenches of struggle, physically and with our
actions of armed propaganda, above all, within
those that place us on the road to class
struggle.  We have always and will continue to
avoid falling into the vicious cycle of reformist
struggle that is individualistic and without
ideology.  We do not support the electoral
process, plebiscite, or a constituent assembly
that is not for the purpose of redacting a new
Constitution for the Republic of Puerto Rico.  It
has not been one but various organizations that
have been converted to focusing on elections and
have not achieved absolutely anything, except
conform itself to what is dictated by the
empire.  Some have survived only months after an
election and like cannibals have eaten each other
alive like animals.  During election time, the
system, from its capitalist throne, laughs and
makes fun, seeing how the left divides itself
into those who participate and those who don’t
participate in the farcical electoral process.

We plead for a peace, a convergence, and truce
within the independence movement: a democratic
and concrete peace, differentiated from an
abstract general peace; conversations within the
framework of participatory democracy with the
goal of achieving the free, sovereign, and
democratic Republic.  The unity of the Left has
to be the principle nucleus of this convergence
of forces that needs the participation, support,
and direction of all of the strands within the
progressive left.  This should not be so
difficult to achieve since we already have two
examples of unity and participatory democracy:
the unity in action between the Partido
Revolucionario de los Trabajadores
Puertorriqueños (Puerto Rican Revolutionary
Workers Party; PRTP) and our organization, the
Ejercito Popular Boricua (Boricua Popular Army;
EPB) and the unity that is witnessed during the
activities organized the 23rd of every month that
are hosted by the Coordinadora Nacional de la
Vigilias por la Dignidad Filiberto Ojeda Rios
(National Coordinator of the Vigils for the
Dignity of Filiberto Ojeda Rios), which are
organized by and attended by numerous sectors of
the independence movement and the public at
large.  We have attended many and have witnessed
the environment of camaraderie between sectors
that is hopeful.  We take advantage of this
medium to appreciate the work of the Coordinadora
de la Vigilias.  Pa’lante, as the Comandante said.

What do you think about the election of Barack
Obama as President of the United States?

The election of Barack Obama as President of the
United States was not a surprise.  The
military-industrial complex that really runs that
country needed a charismatic and
apparently-liberal figure to replace Bush, who
had upset the people and left the economy in
ruins and risked the entire political-military
imperialist system.  This manipulation has been
witnessed markedly during the second half of the
20th century:  first a heavy-handed hawkish
Republican and then a Democrat that is not less
hawkish but who implements social policy that is
less antagonistic and speaks a language that is
more conciliatory.  As an example, suffice it
remember that Clinton was successor to Bush
father.  That he is black does not mean that his
ideas are very different from those of his white
predecessors.  The only way to reach the
Presidency of the United States is to be in
communion with the group think of big business,
the military, and to be willing to implement the
interventionist and capitalist policies of the empire.

What kind of relationship do you consider will be
established between the Obama administration and
the progressive and revolutionary governments of
Latin America?  How would you characterize the
perspectives calling for reestablishing relations between Cuba and the US?

We should take into account that the nature of
the US as a nation was founded during the 20th
Century as that of a powerful empire.  This
empire has sacked the entire world and has
manipulated, with its military might and
propaganda, all of Latin America to the point
that many of these countries surrendered their
sovereignty and permitted the US government to
exploit their natural resources with little
benefit to their own people.  Like with all
empires, changing in this regard will be very difficult.

We do not see a radical change in the politics of
Obama toward Latin America.  On the contrary,
judging from the situation in Honduras, the
threats against the Bolivarian government of
Venezuela, and the bases in Colombia, the
interventionist policy and the support for coup
détat have continued and will continue.

With regards to Cuba, we do not see any movement
that would indicate the removal of the blockade,
which is what most of Latin American governments have requested.

In our opinión, Obama will continue to speak in a
more concilatory tone, but there will be few
changes in the foreign policy of the
empire.  This is as such because it is known that
foreign and domestic foreign policy is dictated
by powerful military and business interests, who
are who actually govern and determine his
remaining in the Presidency.  As Comandante Fidel
Castro has stated, ‘it is more of the same’.

Long Live our Secretary General, Comandante Filiberto Ojeda Rios!