[News] What we Palestinians need

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Aug 18 14:04:10 EDT 2009

What we Palestinians need

(one of a number or differing arguments and positions worth reading)

Irrespective of what political settlement is
ultimately embraced, Palestinians need a unified
strategy for confronting and overcoming Israeli
racism, apartheid and oppression. Mustafa
Barghouthi<http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/print/2009/960/op13.htm#1>*
outlines the basis of such a strategy

Palestinians have only two choices before them,
either to continue to evade the struggle, as some
have been trying to do, or to summon the
collective national resolve to engage in it.

The latter option does not necessarily entail a
call to arms. Clearly Israel has the overwhelming
advantage in this respect in both conventional
and unconventional (nuclear) weapons. Just as
obviously, neighbouring Arab countries have
neither the will nor ability to go the military
route. However, the inability to wage war does
not automatically mean surrender and eschewing other means to wage struggle.

As powerful as it is militarily, Israel has two
major weak points. Firstly, it cannot impose
political solutions by force of arms on a people
determined to sustain a campaign of resistance.
This has been amply demonstrated in two
full-scale wars against Lebanon and, most
recently, in the assault against Gaza. Secondly,
the longer the Palestinians have remained
steadfast, and the greater the role the
demographic factor has come to play in the
conflict, the more clearly Israel has emerged as
an apartheid system hostile to peace. If the
ethnic cleansing of 1948 and the colonialist
expansionism describe the circumstances
surrounding the birth of the Israeli state, the
recent bills regarding the declaration of
allegiance to a Jewish state and prohibiting the
Palestinian commemoration of the nakba more
explicitly underscore its essential racist character.

Ironically, just as Israel has attained the peak
in its drive to fragment the Palestinian people,
with geographical divides between those in Israel
and those abroad, between Jerusalem and the West
Bank and the West Bank and Gaza, and between one
governorate and the next in the West Bank by
means of ring-roads, walls and barriers,
Palestinians have become reunified in their
hardship and in the challenges that confront
them. Regardless of whether or not they bear
Israeli citizenship, or whether they are
residents of Jerusalem, the West Bank or Gaza,
they all share the plight of being victims of
Israel's systematic discrimination and apartheid order.

If the only alternative to evading the struggle
is to engage in it in order to resolve it, we
must affirm that our national liberation movement
is still alive. We must affirm, secondly, that
political and diplomatic action is a fundamental
part of managing the conflict, as opposed to an
alternative to it. In fact, we must elevate it to
our primary means for exposing the true nature of
Israel, isolating it politically and pressing for
international sanctions against it.

In this context, we must caution against the
theory of building state institutions under the
occupation. An administration whose security
services would be consuming 35 per cent of the
public budget, that would be acting as the
occupation's policeman while furthering
Netanyahu's scheme for economic normalisation as
a substitute for a political solution, is clearly
geared to promote the acclimatisation to the
status quo, not change. Building Palestinian
governing institutions and promoting genuine
economic development must occur within the
framework of a philosophy of "resistance
development". Such a philosophy is founded on the
dual principles of supporting the people's power
to withstand the hardships of the occupation and
reducing dependency on foreign funding and
foreign aid. The strategic aim of the Palestinian
struggle, under this philosophy, must be to "make
the costs of the Israeli occupation and its
apartheid system so great as to be unsustainable".

If we agree on this course for conducting the
struggle, then the next step is to adopt a
unified national strategy founded upon four pillars:

1. Resistance. In all its forms, resistance is an
internationally sanctioned right of the
Palestinian people. Under this strategy, however,
it must resume a peaceful, mass grassroots
character that will serve to revive the culture
of collective activism among all sectors of the
Palestinian people and, hence, to keep the
struggle from becoming the preserve or monopoly
of small cliques and to promote its growing
impetus and momentum. Models for this type of
resistance already exist. Of particular note is
the brave and persistent campaign against the
Separation Wall, which has spread across several
towns and villages, offered five lives to the
cause, and become increasingly adamant. The
resistance by the people of East Jerusalem and
Silwan against Israeli home demolitions and the
drive to Judaise the city presents another heroic
model. Yet a third promising example is to be
found it the movement to boycott Israeli goods
and to encourage the consumption of locally
produced products. In addition to preventing the
occupation power from milking the profits from
marketing locally produced products, this form of
resistance can engage the broadest swath of the
population, from old to young and men and women,
and revive the culture and spirit of communal
collaboration. The campaigns to break the
blockade against Gaza, as exemplified by the
protest ships, the supply caravans and the
pressures on Israel to lift its economic
stranglehold, are another major type of resistance.

2. Supporting national steadfastness. The
importance of this pillar is its focus on
strengthening the demographic power of the
Palestinian people so as to transform their
millions into an effective grassroots force. It
entails meeting their essential needs to enable
them to remain steadfast in their struggle, and
developing Palestinian human resources as the
foundation for a strong and independent
Palestinian economy. However, in order to achieve
these aims the Palestinian Authority (PA)
economic plan and budget must be altered in a way
that pits their weight behind development in
education, health, agriculture and culture, as
opposed to squandering a third of the budget on security.

For example, the passage and immediate
implementation of the bill for the national
higher education fund would serve the educational
needs of hundreds of thousands of young adults.
In addition to elevating and developing the
standards of university education, it would also
work to sustain the impact of development aid and
eventually reduce reliance on foreign support.
The fund would also alleviate the school tuition
burdens on more than 150,000 families, put an end
to nepotism in the handling of student study
grants and loans, and provide equal opportunity
for academic advancement to all young men and
women regardless of their financial
circumstances. Equally innovative and dynamic
ideas could be applied to other areas of
education, or to stimulating the fields of public
health, agriculture and culture with the overall
aim of developing the educated, innovative and
effective modern human resources needed to meet
Palestinian needs as autonomously as possible
and, hence, capable of weathering enormous pressures.

3. National unity and a unified national
leadership. This strategic aim entails
restructuring the Palestine Liberation
Organisation on a more demographically
representative basis and putting into effect
agreements that have been previously reached in
the Palestinian national dialogues held in Cairo.
Over the past few years, the thrust of Israel's
greatest advantage and the thrust of its assault
centred around the Palestinian rift and the
weakness of the disunited Palestinian leadership.
In order to redress this flaw, the Palestinians
must adopt a new mentality and approach.
Specifically, they must: relinquish the mentality
and practice of vying for power over an illusory
governing authority that is still under the thumb
of the occupation, whether in the West Bank or in
Gaza; give up the illusion that Palestinian
military might, however great it might become, is
capable of leading the Palestinian struggle
alone; adopt democracy and pluralistic democratic
activities and processes as a mode of life, self-
government, peaceful decision-making, and the
only acceptable means to resolve our differences
and disputes; resist all outside pressures and
attempts (particularly on the part of Israel) to
intervene in our internal affairs and to tamper
with the Palestinian popular will. There must be
a firm and unshakeable conviction in
Palestinians' right to independent national self- determination.

The most difficult task that we face today is
creating a unified leadership and strategy
binding on all, from which no political or
military decisions will depart, and within which
framework no single group or party has a monopoly
on the decision-making processes. Only with a
unified leadership and strategy will we be able
to fight the blockade as one, instead of evading
unity for fear of the blockade. With a unified
leadership and strategy we will able to seize the
reins of initiative from others, as opposed to
spinning from one reaction to the other, and we
will be able to focus our energies on asserting
our unified will instead of squandering them in
internal power struggles in which the various
parties seek outside assistance to strengthen
their hand against their opponents on the inside.
Only then will we be able to shift the equations
that subordinated the national liberation
movement to the narrow concerns of the PA (both
in the West Bank and Gaza) and turn the PA into
an instrument in the service of the national liberation movement.

4. Building and enhancing an international
pro-Palestinian solidarity movement combined with
a drive to impose sanctions against Israel. That
such a movement already exists and is steadily
growing is heartening. However, it will take
enormous efforts to organise it and coordinate
its activities properly so as to ensure it has
the greatest possible influence upon
decision-makers, especially in Europe and the
West. Palestinian, Arab and Muslim communities
will need to be orchestrated towards the
realisation of the same goals. If the solidarity
movement has scored significant successes with
the organisation of a boycott of Israeli
products, the decision by the Federation of
British Universities to boycott Israeli
academics, and the decision taken by Hampshire
College and some US churches to refuse to invest
in Israel, much work has yet to be done to expand
the scope of such activities and build up the
momentum of the solidarity movement.

The Palestinian plight, which Nelson Mandela has
described as the foremost challenge to the
international humanitarian conscience, strongly
resembles the state of South Africa at the outset
to the 1980s. It took years of a concerted
unified drive before the South African liberation
movement finally succeeded in bringing around
governments to their cause. The tipping point
came when major companies realised that the
economic costs of dealing with the apartheid
regime in Pretoria were unsustainable. In the
Palestinian case, the success of an international
solidarity movement is contingent upon three
major factors. The first is careful organisation
and detailed planning, a high degree of
discipline and tight coordination. Second is a
rational, civilised rhetoric that refuses to play
into Israel's tactics of provocation. The third
is to address and recruit progressive movements
and peoples in societies abroad, including
anti-Zionist Jews and Jews opposed to Israeli policies.

None of the foregoing is new, by any means.
However, these ideas have yet to be put into
practice. The logical springboard for this is to
operate on the principle that while the
Palestinian cause is a Palestinian, Arab and
Muslim one, it is above all a humanitarian cause
that cries out to all in the world who cherish
humanitarian principles and values. The success
of the freedom fighters of South Africa, the
anti-Vietnam war movement, and the campaigners
for the independence of India stemmed primarily
from their ability to forge a universal appeal.
And this is precisely what we must do. Our mottos
for the solidarity movement with the Palestinian
people must be "the fight against the new
apartheid and systematic racism" and "the fight
for justice and the right to freedom." The
International Court of Justice's ruling on the
Separation Wall, the illegality of Jewish
settlements and altering the face of Jerusalem is
a valuable legal precedent that official
Palestinian governing institutions have ignored
for four years. This ruling should now become our
platform for a drive to impose sanctions against
Israel, just as the UN resolution against the
occupation of Namibia proved a platform for
mounting a campaign against the apartheid system in South Africa.

The four-pronged strategy outlined above, which
is espoused by the Palestinian National
Initiative Movement, can succeed if it is guided
by a clear vision, patience, and systematic
persistence. I do not expect that it win the
approval of all. The interests of some combined
with their sense of frustration and despair have
deadened their desire to engage in or to continue
the confrontation with Israel. We also have to
acknowledge that certain sectors of Palestinian
society have become so dependent upon interim
arrangements and projects and the attendant
finances as to put paid to the possibility of
their contributing to the fight for real change.
Yet, the proposed comprehensive strategy does
respond to and represent the interests of the
vast majority of the Palestinian people and holds
the promise of a better future.

The Palestinian national struggle has so far
passed through two major phases: the first
steered by Palestinians abroad while ignoring the
role of Palestinians at home, and the second
steered by Palestinians at home while ignoring
the role of Palestinians abroad. Today we find
ourselves at the threshold of a third phase,
which should combine the struggle at home and the
campaign of Palestinians and their sympathisers abroad.

In closing I would like to address the subject of
a one-state or a two-state solution. It is both
theoretically and practically valid to raise this
subject here for two reasons. First, Israel has
consistently tried to undermine the prospect of
Palestinian statehood by pressing for such
formulas as home rule, or an interim state, or a
state without real sovereignty. Second, the
changes produced on the ground by Israeli
settlements and ring roads have come to render
the realisation of a viable state unrealisable.
To some, especially Palestinians in the Diaspora,
replacing the call for a one-state solution with
calling for a "two-state solution" seems to offer
a remedy that gives relief. It is a better
remedy, without a doubt, but it is a long way
from offering relief. Slogans do not end
liberation struggles. Slogans without strategies
and efforts to back them up remain nothing but
idle wishes or, to some, a noble way to avoid
responsibility and the work that goes with it.

Now, let us be clear here. Israel has been
working around the clock to destroy the option of
an independent Palestinian state on the ground
and, hence, the two-state solution. But that does
not leave the Palestinian people without an
alternative, as some Zionist leaders undoubtedly
hope. The single democratic state (not the single
bi-national state) in which all citizens are
equal in rights and duties regardless of their
religious affiliations and their origins is an
alternative to the attempt to force the
Palestinians to accept slavery under occupation
and an apartheid order in the form of a feeble
autonomous government that is dubbed a state.

However, whether the aim is a truly independent
sovereign state or a single democratic state,
both of which Israel dismisses with equal
vehemence, neither of these aims can be achieved
without exposing and destroying the apartheid
system. This requires a strategy. Therefore,
instead of allowing ourselves to become divided
prematurely over whether to go for the one-state
or two-state solution, let us unify behind the
common aim required to achieve either: the
formulation and implementation of a strategy to
fight the occupation, apartheid and racial
discrimination. This will lead us to something
that is absolutely necessary at this stage, which
is to move from the world of slogans to the world
of practical activism in accordance with viable
strategic plans that mobilise demonstrators
against the wall, intellectuals and politicians
and other sectors of society. It is high time we
realise that diplomatic endeavours and
negotiations do not free us from the nuts and
bolts of actual struggle. We have one road that
leads to a single goal: the freedom of the
Palestinian people. There is nothing nobler than
to follow this road to its end. This is not a
project for some point in the future; it is one
that cannot wait. Indeed, we should probably
adopt the slogan of the freedom fighters of South
Africa: "Freedom in our lifetime!"

* The writer is secretary-general of the Palestinian National Initiative

© Copyright Al-Ahram Weekly. All rights reserved

Al-Ahram Weekly Online : Located at:
<http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2009/960/op13.htm>http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2009/960/op13.htm