[News] The Coup and Honduran Women

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Aug 26 11:36:15 EDT 2009

http://www.counterpunch.org/carlsen08262009.html
August 26, 2009

Catalyzing a New Movement

The Coup and Honduran Women

By LAURA CARLSEN

On the morning of June 28, women's organizations
throughout Honduras were preparing to promote a
yes vote on the national survey to hold a
Constitutional Assembly. Then the phone lines started buzzing.

In this poor Central American nation, feminists
have been organizing for years in defense of
women's rights, equality, and against violence.
When the democratically elected President Manuel
Zelaya was forcibly exiled by the armed forces,
women from all over the country spontaneously
organized to protect themselves and their
families and demand a return to democracy. They
called the new umbrella organization "Feminists in Resistance."

On August 18, Feminists in Resistance sat down
with women from the international delegation for
Women's Human Rights Week, which they organized
to monitor and analyze human rights violations
and challenges for the organization. One after
another they told their stories in a long session
that combined group therapy and political
analysis­a natural mix at this critical point in
Honduran history and the history of their movement.

Miriam Suazo relates the events of the day of the
coup. "On the 28th, women began calling each
other, saying 'what's happening?'" At first
no-one really understood the full extent of the
coup, she says, but networks mobilized quickly
and women began to gather to share information
and plan actions. Independent feminists and
feminists from different organizations
immediately identified with each other and with
the rising resistance to the coup. They began
going out to rescue those who had been beaten and
to trace individuals arrested by security forces.

For some, the shock of waking up to a coup d'etat wasn't new.

"This is my third coup," relates Marielena. "I
was a girl when the coup in 1963 happened. Then I
lived through the coup in 1972. We lived in front
of a school and I saw how my mother faced the
bullets, we thought they were going to kill her

Later in the university in the 80s I lived
through the repression with many of the women
here
 So this has revived the story of my life."

There is a saying in Honduras about the Central
American dirty war that "While the United States
had its eye on Nicaragua and its hands in El
Salvador, it had its boot on Honduras." For the
older women who remember the terror of that time
when over 200 people were disappeared and
hundreds tortured and assassinated, the current
coup stirs up deep fears. Gilda Rivera, director
of the Center for Women's Rights in Tegucigalpa,
says, "I've had a messed-up life. I knew the
victims of Billy Joya in the 80s
 Now I've been
to the border twice, I've lived with a curfew
over my head. I wake up alone, terrified."

The older women agree that they have grown and
their movement has grown since the 80s.

Marielena notes, "Today's not the same as the 80s
because there's a popular movement that the coup
leaders never imagined
 What Zelaya has done is
symbolize the popular discontent accumulated over
the years." She recounts the August 5 battle for
the university where she works and the surprising
participation of students. Her story is echoed in
variations by many of the women present.

Although they battle nightmares and long-buried
trauma, these women also see a new hope for the
resistance this time around and for their own
fight for women's rights. The repression and fear
has strengthened their resolve. "Sure, I'm afraid
of dying but I'm not losing hope," Gilda says. "I
see hope in the faces of the people at the
marches. And the solidarity from women, from all of you, keeps me going."

For Jessica, events this year brought to mind the
contra war of the 80s. "I never imagined that my
daughters would have to be in a situation like
this," she says. As a mother who has lived
through the period before Honduras began its
incomplete transition to democracy, and the
period when democracy was merely a word that
belied a much cruder reality in the country, she
worries. "I told my daughter not to go to the
march. She said, 'Mom, what about my autonomy?'"

"My little girl­she's 18 now, but she's still my
little girl­ended up going with me to the march.
It was really gratifying for me that we went
together." These women know in their bodies and
their hearts the costs of resistance. They also
know that the costs of not resisting are far greater.

For the new generation of feminists, the catalyst
came with the confrontation in front of the
National Institute of Women on July 15. The day
the coup-appointed head of the Institute was
installed, Feminists in Resistance gathered to
protest the takeover of "their" institution.
Lesly says, "The police used their billy clubs,
they grabbed me by the neck. I was filled with so
much rage­I was drowning in it." Many women in
the organization experienced a turning point in
their lives that day. Adelai explains, "(The
Institute) was my turf, something that belonged
to me, and they attacked us there. That was a
direct assault on our condition as women
 What
they did there really affected me personally."

Despite a lot of suffering, the women in the
Feminists in Resistance meeting agree that the
exhausting dynamic of constant mobilizations and
repression has deepened their commitment. Their
movement has also come together and developed
closer ties to the general movement. When word
got out that the feminists were being attacked at
the Women's Institute, demonstrators from the
entire demonstration of the National Front
against the Coup immediately marched to the
Institute to defend the women and show their solidarity.

Although the Front leadership continues to be
mostly male, men in the movement have publicly
recognized the contributions of the feminist
organizations and women in the resistance. From
recovering the wounded, to marching day after
day, to developing analysis and strategy papers,
women's organizations have played a critical role in opposing the coup.

At a meeting between leaders of the Front and
Feminists in Resistance earlier in the day,
Salvador Zuniga, a leader of the Civic Council of
Popular and Indigenous Organzations of Honduras
(COPINH) and the Front, recognized that women
have been among the most active and courageous in
the resistance movement. He pointed out that the
feminist movement is at the center of the
rightwing reaction that led to the coup.

"One of the things that provoked the coup d'etat
was that the president accepted a petition from
the feminist movement regarding the day-after
pill. Opus Dei mobilized, the fundamentalist
evangelical churches mobilized, along with all
the reactionary groups," he explained.

The unprecedented role of women in the nation's
fight for democracy opens them up as a target for
repression. Zuniga concluded in no uncertain
terms, "What I can say is that the feminist
compañeras are in greater danger than any other
organization. This has to be made public."

Besides being at the receiving end of the billy
clubs and pistols along with the rest of the
movement, women suffer specific forms of
repression and violence; their bodies have become
part of the battleground. Human rights groups
including the Women's Human Rights Week
international delegation have documented rapes,
beatings, sexual harassment, and discriminatory
insults. Army and police units routinely shout
out "whores!" and "Go find a husband!" at the
more and more frequent confrontations between the
women and the coup security forces.

It's precisely that step out of the private
sphere that makes these dangerous times so
exciting and energizes the women of the
organization. Many report being driven by the
adrenaline of knowing that this time they are the
ones defining their history. They ride a roller
coaster of emotions, often pitching from euphoria
to despair in a single day. But one constant is
the satisfaction of binding in a political
project with other women who understand the full
scope of what they demand and share the contradictory feelings storming inside.

The budding movement has come together in the
heat of the coup as Feminists in Resistance faces
some major challenges, the first to defeat the
coup that now enters Day 54 on the resistance
calendar. As the rightwing consolidates power and
its own perverse brand of institutionalism, they
feel like they're looking down the barrel of a
gun as far as their rights and safety are
concerned. Rumors circulate that the coup will
dismantle the Institute for Women. Congress is
about to initiate obligatory military service,
meaning that mothers throughout the country will
be compelled to protect their children from
forced induction. Their freedom of expression,
freedom of transit, freedom of assembly have all
been curtailed under the coup, along with
everyone else who opposes the regime, except for
them the physical enforcement of reduced
liberties is accompanied by acts of sexual violence and threats.

Big questions are on the table at the meeting of
Honduran and international feminists. How to
fight for a necessary return to institutional
order at a time when the vulnerability and
insufficient nature of those institutions has
been exposed? How to avoid relegating women's
demands to a lower plane in a period of acute
political crisis? How to break through a media
black-out that's even more impenetrable if you're
against the coup and a woman? And how to simply
hold your work and family together while spending
hours a day in the streets and in meetings.

Bertha Cáceres is a leader of COPINH, a leader of
the Front, and mother of four. In her political
work she has integrated her specific demands as a
woman and believes that organized women must be
front-and-center in the resistance against the coup.

"First, because (our struggle as women) means
confronting a dictatorship based on different
forms of domination. We've said that it's not
just destructive capitalism, not just the racism
that has also been strengthened by this
dictatorship, but also patriarchy. So we think
our resistance as women means going a step
further, toward a more strategic vision, a more
long-term vision in fighting for our country."

She points to a national constitutional assembly
as a fundamental goal for women. "For the first
time we would be able to establish a precedent
for the emancipation of women, to begin to break
these forms of domination. The current
constitution never mentions women, not once, so
to establish our human rights, our reproductive,
sexual, political, social, and economic rights as
women would be to really confront this system of domination."

The women of Feminists in Resistance have no
illusions that this will be an easy task. In
addition to the challenges above, the movement is
in transition to a new stage of nationwide local
organization and long-term strategizing, at the
same time as it faces increasing repression and
human rights violations. The question of the
elections slated for November has created another
deadline for definitions of September 1, when
candidates must be registered and President
Zelaya has sworn to return to the country.
Feminists in Resistance has a clear position to
boycott any coup-sponsored elections, but some
other parts of the movement and the international
diplomatic community have been more ambiguous.

What's certain amid these rapidly changing
national scenarios is that Honduran women have
built a movement that, despite little media
attention and the barriers of a male-dominated
society, has garnered international support from
women around the world and respect from the
general resistance movement. Their organization
will continue to play a central role in what
happens next in Honduras­a key determinant of the
course of democracy throughout the Hemisphere.

Laura Carlsen is director of the Americas Policy
Program in Mexico City. She is currently in
Tegucigalpa as a member of the international
delegation of Women's Human Rights Week in
Honduras. She can be reached at: (lcarlsen(a)ciponline.org).