[News] No Amnesty for Torturers

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Apr 17 11:59:06 EDT 2009

http://www.counterpunch.org/lindorff04172009.html

April 17-20, 2009

Darkness, Darkness

No Amnesty for Torturers

By DAVE LINDORFF

Back in 1965, as a 15-year-old kid, I had a
chance to spend half a year as a student at a
boy’s gymnasium (high school) in Darmstadt, the
cultural capital of the German state of Hesse,
which had the distinction of having been one of a
handful of cities in Germany (Dresden was
another) that were selected by the Allies to test
out the terror tactic of firebombing. The town
was chosen for incendiary bombardment precisely
because it had no military value and thus, no air
defenses (and because it consisted mostly of
wooden structures). With Germany still wreaking
horrific damage on the Allied bomber fleet, this made it an inviting target.

Friends and teachers recounted to me the terrors
of that night, when the entire city of several
hundred thousand, built mostly of wood, went up
in a giant bonfire so hot and powerful that it
sucked people into it with a 200 mph vortex of
inward rushing air. People who hid in shelters
were asphyxiated by the lack of oxygen, while
those who tried to flee sank knee deep into
asphalt streets. Two mountains outside town were
man-made piles of rubble left over from the
city’s ruins, which were for the most part just
carted away. There was little left to rebuild.

While I was stunned by the horror of it, I at the
time still felt that after all, Germans had
brought this disaster on themselves. After all,
they had allowed the Nazi monsters to gain
control of the nation and then proceeded with a
genocidal campaign of extermination of Jews­even
German Jews who were their own neighbors--of
Gypsies, of gays, and of course, of Communists,
and had launched a war that ultimately killed 10s
of millions of people around the world.

I mention all this because one thing I noticed
back then, not among young people in Germany, but
among adults my parents’ age and older, was a
widespread denial about what Germany had
done.  And I remember feeling, as many Americans
and Europeans still do, and as many Chinese and
other Asians still feel about Japan, that these
two countries have never been willing to face up
to the crimes that they, as a nation, permitted to happen in their names.

Older and wiser now, I am well aware that our own
country has committed many crimes, some on a
scale approaching those of Germany and Japan: the
near extermination of Native Americans, the mass,
centuries-long enslavement and cultural and
physical destruction of millions of African
slaves, the use of nuclear bombs on civilian
targets, the decade-long saturation bombing and
herbicidal poisoning of most of Indochina

It’s a long and terrible list, and for the most
part, in our schools, in our politics, in our
histories, we don’t talk about, and even justify and deny our own atrocities.

Now we have a president who is perhaps doing
something worse. Admitting that the last
administration of President George Bush and Vice
President Dick Cheney ordered up a program of
illegal and inhuman torture of captives in the
Iraq and Afghanistan Wars and in the so-called
War on Terror that was launched by them in the
wake of the 9-11 attacks in 2001, and offering up
documentary evidence of the chain of command that
set the country on this criminal course,
President Obama now says that to move beyond this
“dark and painful chapter in our history,” he
will not seek or permit any prosecution of those
who committed torture of captives.

“Nothing will be gained,” Obama said,  “by
spending our time and energy laying blame for the past.”

I’m not that concerned about whether individual
torturers in the CIA or the military get
prosecuted. If the president had said he would
not prosecute people who “thought” they were
acting under proper authority and behaving
legally, but then added that he would pursue
those who authorized and ordered them to torture,
I would not have fussed. But that is not what he
said. The implication of his statement, and the
fact that he has not, this far into his term,
ordered his Attorney General to appoint a
prosecutor to investigate those who were
responsible for the crime, given what he clearly
knows about its authors, is the worst possible of
travesties, and rises to the level of a war crime itself.

Now I don’t want to equate America’s torture of a
few hundred or a few thousand captives by making
them endure waterboarding or by placing plastic
neckbands and leashes on them and slamming their
heads into walls, with what the victims of
Buchenwald or Auschwitz endured, but that is
really not the issue. The issue is, do we as a
nation now subscribe to the idea that the way to
deal with evil perpetrated by ourselves is to bury it?

Isn’t that precisely what we have been for
decades accusing the Germans and the Japanese of
doing: burying in the mists of time their
criminal behavior as a people and as a nation?

And now our president­whose own wife and
daughters are descendants of slave victims of
another era of American atrocities­is telling us
we should do the same thing as Germany and Japan: forget and move on.

But the president is wrong. Darkness does not go
away when the fog comes. It just gets darker.

Let’s shine a light. Sign the petition:
<http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/node/41777>No Amnesty for Torturers!

Dave Lindorff  is a Philadelphia-based journalist
and columnist. His latest book is
“<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/031237254X/counterpunchmaga>The
Case for Impeachment” (St. Martin’s Press, 2006
and now available in paperback). He can be
reached at <mailto:dlindorff at mindspring.com>dlindorff at mindspring.com