[News] Thousands arrive in Jerusalem to protect Al Aqsa Mosque from a major threat by Israeli settlers

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Apr 16 13:18:41 EDT 2009

Thousands arrive in Jerusalem to protect Al Aqsa
Mosque from a major threat by Israeli settlers

http://english.pnn.ps/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5049
16.04.09 - 10:29

PNN exclusive /  Maisa Abu Ghazaleh – Jerusalem
is on high alert Thursday as Israeli settlers
threaten to storm Al Aqsa Mosque. The Palestine
Liberation Organization, religious and cultural
institutions and NGOs have issued calls to
Palestinians to fill the Muslim holy site in protection.

Israeli police and soldiers are filling the
streets wearing riot gear and carrying heavy
arms. Horses, jeeps and police cars are
patrolling the streets. Palestinians are being
blocked access to the city. Most of those able to
arrive are coming from within Israeli boundaries (’48 Palestine).

The occupying Israeli administration announced
last night it would impose restrictions on the
entry of Muslim worshippers into Al Aqsa Mosque,
among the most holy sites in the world for Islam.

A declaration was issued by Jewish communities
and organizations to storm Al Aqsa Mosque and
perform Jewish religious services inside the
Muslim holy site. Israeli forces announced they
would prevent Palestinians from entering the
mosque if they are male and under 50 years of
age. They made no specific mention of women.

Since early this morning dozens of Palestinian
buses provided by the Islamic Movement leaders
have been arriving; Palestinian flags are flying everywhere.

In a meeting with Sheikh Ikrima Al Sabri, head of
the Islamic Supreme Council, he told PNN, "It is
no secret that Jewish extremists are working to
overtaking Al Aqsa Mosque and taking
opportunities to implement their plans of
aggression if they feel that this an appropriate
time for them to control the mosque: and during
this time in particular since the extreme right
is dominant in the street as the Israeli
government is. These incursions are not new but
the new thing is to step up the numbers of Jewish
extremists and the Israeli police guards aiding them. "

He added, "They are trying to impose a new
reality in the courtyards of the Al Aqsa Mosque,
not only for visits and tours of provocation, but
to try to take an aggressive new step, a practice
of religious rites in the plazas of the Al Aqsa
Mosque. This is dangerous and we do not accept it
and reject it, and we hold the Israeli government
responsible for any harm that comes to the sanctity of the Al Aqsa Mosque.”

Palestinians began arriving at the Mosque
yesterday hoping to pack it tightly, but calls
are issued daily to keep a heavy presence as the
Israeli threat is unending. The Israeli
administration and settlers are in the process of
overtaking the area around the Mosque as well,
including the Silwan and Al Bustan neighbors via
home demolitions and forced evictions. The
Israelis are trying to create a “City of David” on the Palestinian land.

Citizen Walid said, “This attack requires the
unity of our hearts to combat and our feelings
toward Jerusalem and the holy Al Aqsa Mosque must
be strong. We need to pause in unity to repel the
Israeli attacks that are coming in various forms.”