[News] You are being lied to about pirates

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Apr 13 10:50:23 EDT 2009

Johann Hari: You are being lied to about pirates

Monday, 5 January 2009
http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/johann-hari-you-are-being-lied-to-about-pirates-1225817.html

Some are clearly just gangsters. But others are
trying to stop illegal dumping and trawling

Who imagined that in 2009, the world's
governments would be declaring a new War on
Pirates? As you read this, the British Royal Navy
– backed by the ships of more than two dozen
nations, from the US to China – is sailing into
Somalian waters to take on men we still picture
as parrot-on-the-shoulder pantomime villains.
They will soon be fighting Somalian ships and
even chasing the pirates onto land, into one of
the most broken countries on earth. But behind
the arrr-me-hearties oddness of this tale, there
is an untold scandal. The people our governments
are labelling as "one of the great menaces of our
times" have an extraordinary story to tell – and some justice on their side.

Pirates have never been quite who we think they
are. In the "golden age of piracy" – from 1650 to
1730 – the idea of the pirate as the senseless,
savage Bluebeard that lingers today was created
by the British government in a great propaganda
heave. Many ordinary people believed it was
false: pirates were often saved from the gallows
by supportive crowds. Why? What did they see that
we can't? In his book Villains Of All Nations,
the historian Marcus Rediker pores through the evidence.

If you became a merchant or navy sailor then –
plucked from the docks of London's East End,
young and hungry – you ended up in a floating
wooden Hell. You worked all hours on a cramped,
half-starved ship, and if you slacked off, the
all-powerful captain would whip you with the Cat
O' Nine Tails. If you slacked often, you could be
thrown overboard. And at the end of months or
years of this, you were often cheated of your wages.

Pirates were the first people to rebel against
this world. They mutinied – and created a
different way of working on the seas. Once they
had a ship, the pirates elected their captains,
and made all their decisions collectively,
without torture. They shared their bounty out in
what Rediker calls "one of the most egalitarian
plans for the disposition of resources to be
found anywhere in the eighteenth century".

They even took in escaped African slaves and
lived with them as equals. The pirates showed
"quite clearly – and subversively – that ships
did not have to be run in the brutal and
oppressive ways of the merchant service and the
Royal Navy." This is why they were romantic
heroes, despite being unproductive thieves.

The words of one pirate from that lost age, a
young British man called William Scott, should
echo into this new age of piracy. Just before he
was hanged in Charleston, South Carolina, he
said: "What I did was to keep me from perishing.
I was forced to go a-pirateing to live." In 1991,
the government of Somalia collapsed. Its nine
million people have been teetering on starvation
ever since – and the ugliest forces in the
Western world have seen this as a great
opportunity to steal the country's food supply
and dump our nuclear waste in their seas.

Yes: nuclear waste. As soon as the government was
gone, mysterious European ships started appearing
off the coast of Somalia, dumping vast barrels
into the ocean. The coastal population began to
sicken. At first they suffered strange rashes,
nausea and malformed babies. Then, after the 2005
tsunami, hundreds of the dumped and leaking
barrels washed up on shore. People began to
suffer from radiation sickness, and more than 300 died.

Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, the UN envoy to Somalia,
tells me: "Somebody is dumping nuclear material
here. There is also lead, and heavy metals such
as cadmium and mercury – you name it." Much of it
can be traced back to European hospitals and
factories, who seem to be passing it on to the
Italian mafia to "dispose" of cheaply. When I
asked Mr Ould-Abdallah what European governments
were doing about it, he said with a sigh:
"Nothing. There has been no clean-up, no compensation, and no prevention."

At the same time, other European ships have been
looting Somalia's seas of their greatest
resource: seafood. We have destroyed our own fish
stocks by overexploitation – and now we have
moved on to theirs. More than $300m-worth of
tuna, shrimp, and lobster are being stolen every
year by illegal trawlers. The local fishermen are
now starving. Mohammed Hussein, a fisherman in
the town of Marka 100km south of Mogadishu, told
Reuters: "If nothing is done, there soon won't be
much fish left in our coastal waters."

This is the context in which the "pirates" have
emerged. Somalian fishermen took speedboats to
try to dissuade the dumpers and trawlers, or at
least levy a "tax" on them. They call themselves
the Volunteer Coastguard of Somalia – and
ordinary Somalis agree. The independent Somalian
news site WardheerNews found 70 per cent
"strongly supported the piracy as a form of national defence".

No, this doesn't make hostage-taking justifiable,
and yes, some are clearly just gangsters –
especially those who have held up World Food
Programme supplies. But in a telephone interview,
one of the pirate leaders, Sugule Ali: "We don't
consider ourselves sea bandits. We consider sea
bandits [to be] those who illegally fish and dump
in our seas." William Scott would understand.

Did we expect starving Somalians to stand
passively on their beaches, paddling in our toxic
waste, and watch us snatch their fish to eat in
restaurants in London and Paris and Rome? We
won't act on those crimes – the only sane
solution to this problem – but when some of the
fishermen responded by disrupting the
transit-corridor for 20 per cent of the world's
oil supply, we swiftly send in the gunboats.

The story of the 2009 war on piracy was best
summarised by another pirate, who lived and died
in the fourth century BC. He was captured and
brought to Alexander the Great, who demanded to
know "what he meant by keeping possession of the
sea." The pirate smiled, and responded: "What you
mean by seizing the whole earth; but because I do
it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, while
you, who do it with a great fleet, are called
emperor." Once again, our great imperial fleets sail – but who is the robber?

<mailto:j.hari at independent.co.uk>j.hari at independent.co.uk