[News] A Dispatch from Cuba - Storm Survivors

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Sep 19 13:36:11 EDT 2008

http://www.counterpunch.org/hurlich09192008.html

September 19, 2008

A Dispatch from Cuba

Storm Survivors

By SUSAN HURLICH

The TV coverage here in Cuba on the impact of Hurricanes Gustav and
Ike  is very instructive, not just in showing clearly the extent of
damages,  but in giving a sense of the feelings and spirit of the
people through  many, many different testimonies. I notice that in
much of the reporting  outside the country, there's not much
commentary on this aspect, which  is as important - if not more so in
the long run - as the statistics on  damages.

One comment repeated over and over by men, women, old, young,
often  while standing in front of a pile of rubble that was once
their home,  often in tears, is that they know that their country,
their Revolution,  won't abandon them in their time of need. For
instance, as of yesterday  (Tuesday) noon, some 88% of the population
was receiving electricity -  in many areas by generators (part of
Cuba's Energy Revolution as well as  preparing for disasters -
although many parts of Las Tunas, Holguin,  Camaguey, Pinar del Rio
and Isla de la Juventud are still with  difficulties.

Yesterday, I was also struck by another comment made by an
elderly  gentleman in Holguin, I think it was, who said (on TV) that
Cubans have  long known how to help other people in need elsewhere in
the world, and  that he's confident that they won't hesitate to help
each other in this  great time of need.

And this is indeed what is happening. For example, in Havana, the
entire  city is in the process of being organized at the grassroots
level to  give people-to-people assistance to the provinces of Pinar
del Rio and  Provincia Habana, with different municipalities being
"twinned" with  designated areas in these two provinces. This is
happening elsewhere in  the country, with provinces and areas that
are less affected helping  those provinces and areas near them that
are more affected. It's a  "people's response" above and beyond the
professional brigades of  electricians, construction workers and
others who are being sent from  one area to another, and it's being
done through the mass organizations  such as the Committees in
Defense of the Revolution (CDRs), the Cuban  Women's Federation
(FMC), zonal groups, residents' groups, etc.

Meetings are starting to take place at the circumscription levels,
such  as what happened Sunday night (14th) in La Ceiba, located along
the  Almendares River in the Puentes Grandes areas of Playa
Municipality here  in Havana. My friend Caridad, who lives there and
who is a social worker  and local community organizer, told me about
the three different  meetings that were held throughout the day, with
three different  circumscriptions. Some 60 to 70 people attended each
meeting, with  discussions ranging around the need for solidarity,
the need for local  clean up as quickly as possible, and the need to
help others. The first  task to be done was cleaning up the
neighbourhoods of rubble and fallen  branches. Some days earlier
trucks and tractors had passed through  residential and other areas
collecting the heavier debris, but there was  still lots of leaves
and smaller branches all over the place. After the  clean up, a
clothing drive will take place in La Ceiba (and elsewhere)  organized
by the Women's Federation. And today, Caridad told me that in  the
municipality of 10 de Octuber, people are starting to
organize  donations of household goods for communities in the
municipality of  Alquizar, located in the central southwestern part
of Provincia Habana.

In my own neighbourhood, Vedado, located in Plaza Municipality, we
did  the final clean-up on Sunday, and now we're waiting for
notification of  when the circumscriptions will be meeting.

It's small stuff, eh? The immense needs all over the country -
some  people being evacuated at the last moment because of flash
floods in  areas that don't traditionally flood, and having only the
clothing on  their back to show for the home they used to have - and
the few things  that any given Cuban family can turn over to others.
Small stuff  compared to the latest official statistics - still
preliminary - that  show over 444,000 houses affected of which over
63,000 are totally  destroyed, over 4,000 tons (preliminary figures)
of warehoused  foodstuffs affected nationwide - not including
destruction of crops in  the fields and significant losses in poultry
rearing, with hundreds of  thousands of animals literally gone with
the wind (!), and damages to  electricity, water systems, in short,
the entire infrastructure of the  country including schools, clinics,
hospitals. Just imagine an entire  country hit by Katrina from one
end to the other and you'll get an idea  of the devastation!
Preliminary estimates by Cuba is that losses are in  the range of $5 billion.

And Cuba itself has said, very clearly, that its own reserves
won't  begin to cover the country's needs for recuperation and
reconstruction,  let alone for feeding the population in the short
term. That's another  point, by the way, that should be kept in mind:
inside the country we're  being kept very informed about the
situation. We know what kinds of  reserves Cuba has and how they're
used, as well as the decision-making  process for their distribution.
We know the extent of damages, which are  updated every time we turn
on the TV and/or radio or read the newspaper.  We know about the
assistance that's already coming into the country and  where it's
going, and about which I won't say much here as I know  there's lots
of information about this available in the international  media. We
know about the "offers" from the US, first of a paltry  $100,000 and
then of $5 million, and why Cuba has said a categorical NO  as it's
not aid but "aid with strings", that is, the US will only give  it if
Cuba accepts a US inspection team - something which no other  country
or organization in the world makes as a condition to
hurricane  assistance. (Plus Cuba has its own proven capacity to make
its own  assessments.)

So it seems like small stuff when one talks about neighbourhood
clothing  drives and cooking utensils drives and so forth. Except
that it's NOT  small staff, as this kind of mobilization within the
country is what  shows, more than anything else, the spirit and
determination of the  Cuban people to not only survive, but to
eventually surpass the very  difficult blow that the country has received.

For the past week, or rather since the weather has calmed down
and  turned once again to hot and clear days and we're starting to
get the  full dimension of the terrible damage that has been done to
Cuba by two  back-to-back category 4 hurricanes, I've been thinking
about numbers.  Here in Cuba. In Haiti. In Jamaica. In the Dominican
Republic. In  Galveston.

Numbers. Statistics. Percentages. They can be overwhelming. They can
be  so overwhelming that they can sometimes, without our wanting it
to  happen, distance us from the very human face of the disaster.
It's a  normal reaction. It's a self-protective reaction.

But if we distance ourselves from the very human face of calamity,
we  also distance ourselves from the very human face of what people
are  doing to try to recover from such great losses. Ultimately, we
distance  ourselves from ourselves.

We must also always remember that what we are seeing in Cuba or Haiti
or  Galveston or anywhere else in the world is directly related to
the  damage that is being done to the planetary environment, to
climate  change. Just looking at where I live and work, Cuba, there's
no question  but that hurricanes have become more frequent and more
intense in the  past decade. People living along the eastern and Gulf
coasts of the  United States know this as well. The world's ecosystem
has been damaged  and is screaming out its pain in hurricanes,
tsunamis, earthquakes,  inundations, Arctic meltdowns...

It's large, isn't it - the problem that faces us. It's overwhelming
too,  the dimension of the task. But it's also imperative that we
see, and  talk about, and mobilize around, the crisis not just here
in Cuba, but  the worldwide crisis that is affecting us all.

But now, to return more directly to Cuba: I see the damage. I hear
the  numbers. And I try to humanize it, to feel the human face behind
the  numbers. Because today it's Jorge and Anabela and Luisa in
Baracoa and  Pinar del Rio and the Isla, but tomorrow it can as
easily be George or  Elizabeth or Steven in Toronto or Winnipeg or
New York or San Francisco.

I'd like to tell you a few individual stories.

As mentioned above, over 63,000 houses have been completely
destroyed,  meaning at least 200,000 people homeless. One of these
houses belonged  to the daughter, Yannara, of a very dear friend on
mine in Baracoa, on  the northern coast of Guantanamo province and
one of the first areas  affected by Ike. Yannara is 27-years-old and
is in her fourth year of  socio-cultural studies. Here husband
Giomanis is 29-years old and works  in a state structure repairing
computers. They have two small daughters,  eight-month-old Ingrid and
two-year-old Isabel (known as Isabelita since  she was born). They
lived in a simple house located behind Hotel La Rusa  - for those of
you who know Baracoa - about a block and a half from the  Malecon or
seawall. After Ike, only the front wall remained of their  house, and
all the other houses between them and the Malecon were
also  destroyed. The only things Yannara and Giomanis were able to
salvage  from the rubble is some clothing, a couple of fans, four
chairs (but the  table was lost). Everything else disappeared: the
air conditioner, all  kitchen pots and pans and utensils, all
bathroom fixtures, etc. Even the  fridge was carried away by ocean
swells, etc. The day after Ike passed,  two government commissions
came by, the first to make note of damages  and destruction to
houses, and the second to make note of what people  lost from inside
their homes. Yannara and her family are now temporarily  crowded into
her parent's home. Others without immediate family in  Baracoa have
been taken to evacuation centres in the area. Nuns from the  local
Catholic Church gave out some detergent, tooth brushes
and  toothpaste to people who were affected. Yannara says that
the  agricultural markets are largely empty and that some people who
have  small farms on the outskirts of Baracoa are walking around
selling  tomatoes and onions and a few other things. The government
is already  distributing doors and windows to people who had lesser
damages to their  houses, and roofing sheets have also arrived.
Inbetween her tears she  kept saying "but we'll come out of this,
we're already getting  assistance," This was the situation as of last
Sunday (14th).

Multiply this story by 200,000.

Another friend in Baracoa, 78-year-old Cuca, didn't suffer damage to
her  house. But the five-hectare family farm in Maisi, which in
addition to  growing coffee for the state is also a source of fruit
and vegetables  and meat for the extended family, was seriously
damaged. All the coffee  plants were knocked down as well as many of
the large fruit trees that  shaded the coffee plants. She says that
everyone in that area has  similar losses. Then she paused for a
moment on the phone, and said  "There is the United States it's
individual, but here at least everyone  helps each other. People
share the little bit of kerosene or alcohol  that they have for
cooking, and we also share our food so that no one  goes hungry while
we're trying to get back to normal."

The culture of collectivism. I've talked about this before. It's
another  thing that helps Cubans get through tough times like this -
and there's  nothing "little" about it! No one needs to make
"individual claims" to  private insurance companies. They're in it
together. And so is the  state.

And a final story I'd like to share with you, this one from
beautiful  Vinales in the province of Pinar del Rio. Last weekend I
got a call from  my dear friend Jesus. An extraordinary man. He's a
poet, artist and  researcher - as well as a member of the Municipal
Historical Commission  - who, motived by his love of nature, has
dedicated the past 40 years of  his life to investigating fossils,
animal life and medicinal plants  throughout the Vinales valley area.
Alongside his home, located just a  stone.s throw (baseball throw?)
from the local Baseball Stadium, he has  developed a wonderful,
magical garden where he displays endemic plants  and fossils that
he.s collected from all around the area, and where the  entry is
.guarded. by a three-metre-high cement baby Tyrannosaurus
rex.  Locally known as the Parque Prehistorico de Referencia
National, some  years ago his garden was declared a National
Reference Site by the  Ministry of Agriculture as a model of a
creative way to use a small bit  of land surrounding one's home. His
garden is regularly visited by  students, researchers, UNESCO and
European Union representatives and  interested Cubans and
international tourists.

Then came first Gustav and then Ike, and Vinales was without
electricity  for over two weeks. I tried calling Jesus but couldn't
get through, as  his phone goes on and off with the electrical
supply. Finally, the rains  stopped and some small generators were
brought in, giving people at  least some electricity during the day.
It's still not constant as the  generators can't meet the full-time
needs of everyone at the same time.  So it rotates. Jesus lots of
zinc roofing sheet on half of his house.  His daughter Luisa who
lives next door lose her entire roof. During the  cycles, while Jesus
was trying to save the plants, the family was trying  to keep the
house in one piece, as there was lots of water entry through  the
window shutters and doors. All the large trees - avocado,
mango,  other fruit and ornamental - were lost, but some of the
smaller plants  managed to survive. The damage inventory commission
has already been by,  but it'll take years for Jesus to get his
garden back to what it was.

Which brings me to another face of the crisis which we must also keep
in  mind. In addition to seriously damaging a built infrastructure,
a  hurricane also damages dreams, rather, the realized efforts of
making  dreams a reality. For me, Jesus's garden is a perfect example
of this.  As Luisa said, if Jesus were going  through this alone, he
would be as  devastated as his garden. But he's not. He's already
making plans for  replanting while they wait for the new roof for his
daughter's house and  some construction assistance for his own.

This - the spiritual and psychological impact of the destruction -
is  one of the reasons that well-known Cuban singers,
troubadours,  musicians, comic groups and actors / actresses have
been going around to  the cities and small towns that have suffered
the greatest devastation.  When they arrive, the people, who have
been informed beforehand, are  already waiting for them. Performances
are given to one and all, with  the artists spending a full day in
each location they visit. While these  performances don't solve the
serious material situation in which  hundreds of thousands of cubans
find themselves, they provide a kind of  spiritual help, and are yet
another concrete reminder to those living in  remote areas that
they're not forgotten.

Again, an apparently small thing. And yet resistance and
reconstruction  - indeed the Cuban Revolution itself - has been made
by seemingly small  things repeated over and over again. Because, at
the end of the day,  it's only with the energies and willingness of
the people themselves  that, as Jose Marti said, the impossible
becomes possible!