[News] CHI-Town Lowdown: The 1968 Democratic Convention

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Sep 3 16:45:51 EDT 2008

CHI-Town Lowdown: The 1968 Democratic Convention

By Nancy Kurshan

I am writing this during the presidential
nomination of Barack Obama at the 2008 Democratic
National Convention.  Because this is 40 years
after 1968, there are references by mass media
personalities and others to what happened in the
streets of Chicago during that historic
time.  Much of what has been written is often
inaccurate, superficial or misleading.  I know
this because I was one of the people who
initiated the call for the demonstrations and
planned them.  But the story behind these events,
the political issues that we dealt with and the
state repression that we faced are as relevant
today as they were 40 years ago.  What then
follows is my attempt to explain what happened
and why.  I hope these words will help clarify
some historical reality and provide some helpful
observations for those of us who continue to
organize against U.S. injustice today.

On the 35th anniversary of the sentencing in the
Chicago Conspiracy Trial (February of 2005) I was
interviewed by a public television reporter for a
retrospective piece on the Chicago 8.  As he and
his cameraman entered my house, he quipped, “I
just interviewed Richard Schultz (Assistant
Prosecuting Attorney).  He insists that you came
to Chicago to overthrow the American government.
He knows it sounds silly but that’s what he
believes to this day.”  Without missing a beat, I
retorted, “It doesn’t sound silly at all.  That
was in fact what we wanted to do.  And in
hindsight, it appears even more compelling today
then it did at the time.  Who wouldn’t want to
overthrow a government that was in the process of
murdering 2 to 3 million Vietnamese and 60,000 US
troops? Who wouldn’t want to overthrow a
government that had launched a joint FBI/police
force campaign to destroy the Black Liberation
Movement which resulted in scores of dead black
revolutionaries and many others imprisoned for life?”

Back Story

To understand those events and what motivated us,
you have to know something about the
extraordinary times preceding them.  Our small
circle of friends, the Yippies, had come together
around the October 1967 anti-war demonstration
where we first successfully levitated the
Pentagon.  That is, we encircled the building and
with drums, incense and incantations we caused it
to rise, allowing the evil spirits to flee.  My
friend Abbie Hoffman, one of the original
Yippies, would later complain that we only
managed to get it ten feet off the ground.  The
levitation was followed by about 1000 arrests of
people trying to shut it down altogether.  It was
the first time I had been arrested but far from the last.

We came together to shut down the Pentagon in
particular but more generally in response to
everything that was going on around us.  We had
by now been marching and demonstrating and
participating in teach-ins for several years and
felt our efforts fell on deaf ears.

In 1967 the U.S. pounded the Vietnamese people
from the air in what was called Operation Rolling
Thunder.  In response the Vietnamese people
continued to down American planes with
anti-aircraft artillery.  In fact it was during
Operation Rolling Thunder that John McCain was
shot down over North Vietnam.  Perhaps it was by
the group of young women I later met in 1970 who
were operating anti-aircraft artillery out in a
field in order to defend their small village in Thanh Hoa province.

But on January 30, 1968, at the time of the lunar
new year, the Vietnamese launched an enormous and
completely undetected popular uprising in South
Vietnam known as the Tet offensive.  The whole
world was amazed by their ability to mobilize
their entire nation right under the noses of the
American military.  A small country challenging
Goliath, the most powerful military force in the world.

In February hundreds of people protesting a
segregated bowling alley in Orangeburg near South
Carolina State University were fired upon by the
police.  Three young men were killed and 27
people wounded.  There was little of the
publicity that later surrounded the Kent State
shootings because most, if not all, of the people
involved were Black.  This was known as the Orangeburg Massacre.

On March 21st we experienced a small taste of
that violence directly.  The Yippies went on WBAI
New York radio and called for a Yip-In at Grand
Central Station.  It was to be a peaceful
gathering complete with costumes, music and
incense.  10,000 hippies and yippies showed
up.  The police over-reacted and it turned into a
police riot.  Abbie Hoffman was shoved through a
glass door after I threw myself on top of him in
an unsuccessful attempt to stop the police.

On April 4the the King of Peace, Martin Luther
King, was assassinated in Memphis and urban
centers around the U.S. went up in flames.  There
had already been major rebellions in Detroit,
Newark, LA and Cleveland.  It was at that time
that the “Rap Brown bill” became law.  Rap Brown
was the fiery leader of the Student Nonviolent
Coordinating Committee, an extremely popular
organization that was becoming more militant in
response to the times.  The U.S. passed this law
stating that it was now a “crime to cross state
lines with the intent to riot.”   It would carry
a five-year prison sentence with conviction.

Also in April students at Columbia University in
New York occupied several buildings in opposition
to war and racism.  I joined them and when the
cops cleared the buildings, that was my second arrest.

In May French students triggered a national
strike of students and workers.  In Mexico City a
huge protest ended with the murder by police of
probably hundreds of unarmed students.  The world
was in turmoil and it seemed like people were resisting everywhere.

In June Robert Kennedy was assassinated.  But
honestly, that month preoccupied us in more
personal ways since the New York Police
Department broke into our tiny apartment and
ransacked it.  Upon finding 3 ounces of
marijuana, they arrested my partner, Jerry Rubin,
for “felonious possession with intent to
sell.”  Additionally, the cops had thrown him
around and he fractured his coccyx.  I was
tricked into coming down to the station and
detained in an unsuccessful attempt to get me to
testify against him, and then later released when I refused to comply.

Those were just some of the influences that were
fueling our anger and commitment.

Small Circle of Friends

First let me tell you a bit about the Yippie cast of characters:

Stew Albert, from Brooklyn, New York, had quit
the Progressive Labor Party, a Maoist
organization.  Stew was an important part of the
political movement in Berkeley, a full time
activist and campus non-student “outside
agitator” when he and Jerry Rubin became good friends.

Judy Clavir aka Gumbo, Canadian born, left
academia to be a fulltime organizer, and became
the girlfriend and later wife of Stew
Albert.  She and Stew moved to New York to join
the Yippie activities and lived in an underground
cellar below Abbie’s Liberty House.  Together
they later published The  Sixties Papers, a political anthology of the period.

Abbie Hoffman had been active in the civil rights
movement in the south and went on to establish
Liberty House, on outlet for poor people in the
south to sell their crafts.  Abbie was incredibly
comical, charming and intelligent with
connections to a world of artists, poets, and musicians in New York.

Anita Hoffman had a Masters in Psychology.  She
became politically involved when she met Abbie
and they were married in Central Park in a hippie
wedding.  She later published several books,
including a fictional account of their early days together.

Paul Krassner was a standup comedian in the
spirit of Lenny Bruce.  He was an irreverent and
raunchy satirist and the founder and editor of
“The Realist” magazine.  A little known fact is
that early on he had also been involved in
attempts to set up networks that would assist
women in getting safe, illegal abortions.

Nancy Kurshan had been involved with
anti-nuclear, Northern civil rights
organizations, and Students for a Democratic
Society.  She was a graduate student in
psychology at Berkeley when she met Jerry Rubin
and they moved in together.  They moved to New
York to help organize the Pentagon demonstration.

Phil Ochs was one of the best-known folksingers
of the era.  He was a media junkie and many of
his songs reflected actual events.  His songs had
a wide emotional range and included searing
anti-war songs like  “I Ain’t Marching Any More”
and songs about the civil rights struggle such as
“Too Many Martyrs.”   They were full of anger,
love and exquisite lyrics.  At every political
protest, there was Phil with his guitar.

Jerry Rubin, son of a teamster, became a
journalist, traveled to Cuba after the ’59
revolution and returned to the US to become a
full-time political agitator.  He was the leader
of the Vietnam Day Committee in Berkeley,
California which tried to physically obstruct
troop trains, held enormous teach-ins and
organized thousands of people to march several
times on the Oakland Army Terminal.

There were many others in our New York circle as
well­Ed Saunders of the Fugs music group; Kate
Coleman who worked for Newsweek; Robin Morgan
before the male chauvinism drove her to quit; the
pacifist Keith Lampe also known as Ponderosa
Pine; Sharon Krebs who butt naked delivered an
actual pig’s head on a plate to a meeting of U.S.
senators; Wali and Sam Leff who became Yippie
archivists and life-long friends of Abbie and
Anita.  Most of us had come together around the
levitation and siege of the Pentagon, and on New
Years Eve 1967 while sitting around stoned, some
of us decided to form the Youth International
Party (known familiarly as Yippie!!) and plan for
protests at the Democratic Convention that coming August.

Intent

So what was our original intent for the 68
Democratic Convention?  I know what my hopes were
and also those of Jerry because during those
years we beat with the same heart, politically at
least.  On New Years Day of 1968 we planned to
organize an extravagant Festival of Life in the
parks of Chicago as an alternative to what we saw
as their Festival of Death.  There would be an
extravaganza of musicians, poets, guerrilla
theater, a union of hippies and political
activism.  This kind of grand production was not
completely new.  It evolved out of all we’d
experienced in the last two years.  The Vietnam
Day Committee teach-ins while very educational
were also extremely theatrical, as was Black
Power Day in the Berkeley Greek Theatre where
many leaders of the Black liberation movement
spoke, to the dismay of the Governor of
California who tried to stop it.  The Be-In in
Golden Gate Park involved every major rock group
of the day.  And then there was Jerry’s response
to a subpoena from the House Un-American
Activities Committee.  Ronnie Davis of the San
Francisco Mime Troupe suggested that he go
dressed as an American revolutionary war figure,
tri-cornered hat and all, which Jerry
enthusiastically did.  HUAC refused to let him
testify.  Jerry was not known as the PT Barnum of the left for nothing.

Yes, a Festival of Life would be good.  But if
that were not possible, then a confrontation on a
scale that would capture the attention of the
whole world would also be great.  If it could not
be a Festival of Life, so be it.  But let it
be.  If the confrontation became physical that
too was okay.  Any traces of pacifist thinking
were disappearing.  After all, they were raining
terror and violence down on the whole Vietnamese
nation, and then the whole of Indochina.  There
was intense repression on the Black Liberation
Movement.  Malcolm X and Martin Luther King had
been assassinated.  Others had been arrested,
beaten, killed.  We were just drawing out the
violence that was right under the surface and for
the first time it would be directed at white U.S.
citizens.  We knew that in its most overt form
such violence was usually reserved for people of
color both here and abroad.  Only if it were
directed at white people would there be enough
cognitive dissonance to get Americans thinking.

Jerry later described himself as an “armchair
guerrilla:”  “I never shot a gun or planted a
bomb, but I supported the Vietcong and selective
violence here at home.  Though I am a white
middle class American who enjoys a good meal and
the luxury of comfort, I nevertheless share the
feelings of extremist revolutionaries.  My
country had brutalized the red race and the black
race and now we were dropping bombs on brown and
yellow people.  I felt my position was morally
right.  Anything any of us could do to stop
genocide was O.K.  As a child of America I had
been taught that the Good Germans who did nothing
to stop Hitler were also morally responsible for
his crimes.  I felt anger at the gap between our
ideals and the cold reality of our power
system.”  Those were my sentiments exactly.  Still are.

Before the Nightstick: Shoot to Kill, Maim or Cripple

that followed King’s assassination, Mayor Daley
had earlier that year issued his infamous “shoot
to kill, maim or cripple” order and those words
were reiterated over and over again in the months
leading up to the Convention.  Then it was
announced that 6000 National Guardsmen and 7500
members of the US Army would be there as
well.  The Commander of the Guard warned that his
men would “shoot to kill
 if there is not another
way of preventing the commission of a forcible
felony.  The troops will be carrying . . . 30
caliber ball ammunition.  This kind of ammunition
is made to kill.”  Those of us who were not
planning on committing felonies did not feel comforted by those words.

We had been negotiating for months for a permit
to sleep in the park.  We knew that young people
would arrive from all over the country without
money or resources and would need a place to
stay.  The city stalled and stalled.  The Chicago
Yippies, on the flower power end of the
continuum, encouraged us to keep negotiating and
assured us we’d get the permits in the end.  They
were wrong.  Mayor Richard Daley refused to issue
any permits to sleep in Lincoln Park and he
waited until the last minute to let us know with certainty.

Many movement people began to say it was crazy to
go to Chicago.  Eugene McCarthy, the peace
candidate, warned people not to come.  Even our
fragile Yippie cabal was fracturing.  The folks
from the Chicago Seed, an alternative newspaper,
were our Yippie allies in Chicago, but they
became fearful of the consequences.  They said,
reasonably enough, that they would have to live
with the aftermath of repression that Daley would
rain down on the locals after the rest of us left
for home.  Up until the end, we were divided
about whether we’d be allowed to sleep in the
park.  With or without permits, we thought that
if enough of us arrived in Chicago, the city
would relent, preferring us to sleep in the park,
rather than be pushed into the streets and cause
a major confrontation. At least each of us
thought that some of the time.  At other times we
thought we might die in Chicago.

I am sure that thousands of yippies and other
antiwar people were frightened away.  Of the
scheduled Festival of Life performers, in the end
only Phil Ochs and the MC5, a band out of the Ann
Arbor/Detroit area associated with the White
Panthers, actually made it to Chicago.  It was
rumored that Country Joe and the Fish showed up
but that Joe had been threatened by some beefy
Chicago police in an elevator, and headed out of
town ASAP.  Musicians were especially reluctant
to bring all their expensive equipment to such an iffy scene.

But our small circle of friends knew we all had
to go no matter what.  Otherwise we would be
acquiescing in the implementation of a police
state.  It would have been a done deal and we
were not ready to concede that kind of defeat.

A Fractured Bunch

On the opening days of the Convention, a few
thousand stalwarts arrived at Lincoln Park.  The
personal experience left a lot to be desired.  I
am not talking here of the police presence.  Not
yet.  Although all us hardcore Yippies were
there, we weren’t speaking to each other.  Jerry
and Abbie had been feuding for a while, and
although I can remember most political arguments
for years afterwards, I can’t for the life of me
reconstruct what they were fighting
over.  Through the years of their collaboration,
they were often fiercely competitive with each
other.  Jerry always felt inferior to Abbie.  He
wasn’t as funny.  He wasn’t as clever.  He wasn’t
as good a writer or as good a speaker.  He wasn’t
as charming.  And he always felt neglected by
Abbie.  He obsessed over his approval.  Abbie,
for his part, was extremely individualistic,
almost in essence.  He would inadvertently slight
or exclude Jerry.  So there were constant
estrangements and reunions.  This period was one of estrangement.

When Jerry and Abbie were estranged, so were
Anita and I.  We “stood by our men” in those
days.  Women’s liberation was just beginning to
invade my consciousness.  It would be over a year
before Robin Morgan would unleash her “Goodbye to
All That,” declaring her break with the
male-dominated left, including of course the
Yippies.  In it she would shout, “Free Anita
Hoffman!  Free Nancy Kurshan!  Free Gumbo!”  And
although it didn’t take the sting out of it, she
in all fairness included herself--“Free Robin
Morgan!”  But that was later and in this August
of 1968 we lined up with our men.

Other Yippies were pulled into the fight as
well.  No matter how hard people tried to remain
neutral, it was generally Stew, Judy and Phil
that were Jerry’s pals with Krassner at Abbie’s
side.  Had it been different, the whole personal
experience would have been a lot better.  But we were a fractured bunch.

In addition, there were police everywhere.  Not
just in uniform but also undercover.  Everywhere
we went we were followed by tails, cops whose job
was to stick with us like glue.  They made little
attempt to camouflage their task.  They followed
us as we walked down the street.  They followed
us into restaurants.  One time we went into a
restaurant in Lincoln Park and three cops sat
down at the counter.  We waited for them to
order, and when their meals arrived, we got up
and walked out.  They also got up and walked out,
leaving all their food behind, uneaten.  We got
some satisfaction out of ruining their lunch.

A tall, burly, dark-haired biker presented
himself to us shortly after we arrived.  He said
he knew that Jerry would be a target and he was
offering his services as a bodyguard.  Why not,
we thought.  We were actually quite an open bunch
since we didn’t feel we had anything to hide.  We
said pretty much what we believed and what we
wanted to do. Anyway it never occurred to us that
he was a cop.  What sense would that make?  We
already had cops that followed us everywhere we
went.  We would later find out differently but we
were still naïve in too many ways.

By Light of Day

 From August 25th through 27th, Lincoln Park had
one character in the light of day and another at
night.  During the day, the weather was hot and
humid, typical Chicago summer.  I wore a short
sundress and two long pigtails to stay cool.  The
park was filled with a few thousand people doing
their own things.  Some were practicing a group
activity that Japanese youth had been using when
faced with belligerent lines of police.  It
involved rows of people, several deep, with arms
linked, moving forward together and shouting
“Washoi.”  Our friend Wolf Lowenthal was teaching
people tai chi.  Jeff Shero, later known as Jeff
Nightbyrd, the editor of the Rat, NYC’s
underground newspaper, was there publishing a
daily rag.  Ramparts magazine was producing wall
posters, newspapers that gave information about
what was going on and were pasted up onto walls around the city.

Scores of activists from Students for a
Democratic Society (SDS) were there as
well.   They had criticized us (the Yippies) for
various reasons­too frivolous, not really
organizing on a local level, etc.­but were now
full participants, even leaders, since the
situation had changed.  They were disenchanted
with the standard civil disobedience of the peace
movement and had formed small groups to engage in
the newly popular “mobile tactics” that were
springing up around the country.  We were glad to
see them there.  They seemed more prepared than
we were for the actual situation.

There were small groups of medics with white
armbands, carrying first aid supplies, on the
ready.  They were associated with the Medical
Committee for Human Rights.  There were legal
observers with their armbands, attorneys and law
students from the National Lawyers Guild.  Some
people were learning how to monitor police
radios.  Others were riding around on bicycles
bringing news from one place to the next.  People
were reading, sharing food, hanging out.  Both
the days and the nights were free form in
nature.  If you couldn’t “go with the flow,” it would be rough.

I ran around with Jerry most of the time, not
quite sure what to do with myself, moving at
different moments from exhilaration to fear to
occasional boredom.  I can’t remember why I
decided to drop THC, but I did do that one of
those days.  It was bad enough to imbibe any
“controlled substances” in such a chaotic scene
but the stuff turned out to be really awful and I
got quite sick for a half a day or so.

Although no permit for sleeping was granted, we
thought we had a permit for a concert. That
turned out to be irrelevant.  As the Motor City 5
started playing, a conflict with the police
ensued over the flatbed stage, and the
performance ended in confusion as the cops
cut the power.

Well-known cultural figures who understood the
importance of this historical moment were
present.  Celebrities like Norman Mailer, Jean
Genet, Terry Southern, and William Burroughs
could be spotted walking around, mingling with
the crowd and sharing in the anxious anticipation.

On Tuesday, the 27th, Bobby Seale, a national
leader of the Black Panther Party, addressed the
crowd in Lincoln Park. He had not been an
organizer of the events but was an invited
speaker.  Despite all the potential violence and
the actual repression the Panthers had been
experiencing, Bobby showed up, prepared to speak.
For bravely exercising his right to free speech
for less than an hour, he was later indicted on
federal conspiracy charges along with 7
others.  His appearance in the 1969/70 Chicago 7
trial would electrify the world, as he did battle
with the racist judge and prosecutors in the
courtroom who bound and gagged him in an attempt
to silence him.  Even the prosecutor Richard
Schultz later admitted that the way Bobby was
treated made him appear like a “slave in an American court room.”

Also during the day there were various political
forays out of the park.  At the beginning of that
week the Russian Army had marched into
Prague.  In a theater of solidarity, we marched
on the Russian embassy with signs that proclaimed
the commonality between Czechoslovakia and
Czechago.  Also in the prelude to the week,
17-year-old Dean Johnson, a Native American
youth, was killed while shoplifting in a food
store.  He had come from out of town but he had
drifted in to join us, and we felt an affinity
with him.  So we marched for Dean Johnson as
well.  We also marched to a bus depot over on
Clark and Division in support of the striking
Black Chicago Transit Authority workers.  We were
in Chicago because of the war, but we were
clearly not a single-issue movement.  We were
concerned about everything, locally and globally,
and wanted a total transformation.

Police Riot

“Children, and youths, and middle-aged men were
being pounded and gassed and beaten, hunted and
driven by teams of policemen who had exploded out
of their restraints like the bursting of a boil .
. . It was as if war had finally begun, as if the
gods of history had come together before the
television cameras of the world and the eyes of
the campaign workers and the delegates’ wives and
half the principals at the convention . . .”
Norman Mailer in Miami and the Siege of Chicago

Let me be perfectly clear.  Yes our intentions
were to confront and disrupt.  Yes our intentions
were to overthrow.  But what took place in the
streets and parks of Chicago was a police riot
and the responsibility for the violence was clearly theirs, not ours.

It was at night that the real contest took place,
from Sunday night August 25th through Tuesday
night, the 27th.  As evening began to fall,
people started to build barricades with anything
we could find­picnic tables, garbage cans,
etc.  Other people made bonfires and sat around
them playing on drums and other instruments.

There were only a few thousand of us in Lincoln
Park and we felt small and weak.  Some people
wanted to take a stand and resist the police if
they tried to force us to leave the park.  Most
of us Yippies didn’t really want to fight over
sleeping in the park, but we wouldn’t leave the
park until the situation was resolved one way or
another.  We felt responsible for all the people
who had come and would remain with them if possible.

Once the 11 pm curfew came, the police forayed
into the crowd and started clubbing people from
behind.  One night I suddenly heard Stew cry out
and turned around to see blood dripping down his
face.  They had cracked open his head.  He and
Judy took off for an emergency room.  Six
stitches and a couple hours later they returned.
The first night it was as if the cops thought
they could just come in and club a few of us and
end this pathetic gathering.  A good head-banging
and it would all be over.  If so, they seriously
underestimated our determination.

The whole time we were in Chicago it was like
those hours in front of the Pentagon.  There were
exhilarating moments.  I’ll never forget the
image of Alan Ginsberg with a circle of people
around him, in the midst of tear gas and police
clubbing, sitting cross-legged for hours at a
time “omming” in deep sonorous tones, attempting
to drive away the evil spirits.

And there were moments of just waiting around,
being bored.  And then there were so many moments
when you just had to “go with the flow” because
you had no control over the situation.  There
were just too many factors that could not be known.

And yet we each felt we had to be there.  In the
back of our minds were images of the Pentagon
clubbings and arrests, the Oakland 7 action and
trial, the assassination of JFK, Malcolm X,
Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy.  The urban
rebellions and police
retaliations.  Vietnam.  Prague.  Mexico.
France.  We were very aware of the violent nature
of the opposition, but we felt part of a
worldwide movement for change and we were willing
to risk our lives for that change.

The well-known Washington Post reporter Nicholas
von Hoffman did a good job of capturing the nighttime scene:
    “The attack began with a police car smashing
the barricade.  The kids threw whatever they had
had the foresight to arm themselves with, rocks
and bottles mostly.  Then there was a period of
police action before the full charge.
     Shrieks and screams all over the wooded
encampment area while the experienced militants
kept calling out ‘Walk! Walk! For Chrissakes
don’t run.’ There is an adage among veteran kids
that ‘panicky people incite cops to riot.’
    Rivulets of running people came out of the
woods across the lawn area, the parking lots
toward Clark Street.  Next, the cops burst out of
the woods in selective pursuit of news
photographers.  Pictures are unanswerable
evidence in court.  They’d taken off their
badges, their names plates, even the unit patches
on their shoulders to become a mob of identical,
unidentifiable club swingers.
    . . . There is the scene at Henrotin Hospital
with editors coming in to claim their
wounded.  Roy Fischer of the Chicago Daily News,
Hal Bruno of Newsweek. Television guys who took a
special clobbering waiting in the anteroom
describing what happened and looking angry-eyed
at the cops hanging around with the air of guys putting in a routine night.”

The nights were characterized by crowds of young
people trying to figure out what to do, with
continuous sporadic violence and tear gas.  We
streamed out of the park, along with the tear
gas, and pursued by police cars and cops on foot.
Who could have imagined that tear gas could be
delivered in so many different ways­from
sanitation trucks, from flame-throwing devices,
from the usual canisters.  We tried vaseline and
wet handkerchiefs to deal with the gas.  Groups
of young people roamed through the streets, as a
consequence blocking traffic.  The whole area was
in turmoil.  There were helicopters flying close
overhead and on the ground there were cops with
gas masks using their rifle butts as clubs.  Dragging.  Chasing.  Slamming.

We were out on the streets until late every
night, one night making it all the way downtown
to the Hilton, which was the center of the
Democratic Party.  The tear gas followed us and
reportedly wafted into the hotel, spreading its
ugly fumes to the delegates lodged inside.  Each
night when things died down in the early morning
hours, and we were bone-tired, we wound our way
back to a Lincoln Park apartment and fell into
bed to catch a few hours of deep, exhausted sleep.

The Whole World Is Watching

Wednesday, August 28th held the promise of
something different. After all, it was easy to
marginalize the Yippies.  Just a bunch of scruffy
longhairs who needed showers.  But this day was
organized by the National Mobilization Committee
to End the War in Vietnam, better known as The
Mobe, and the Mobe was a respectable peace organization.

In reality, those distinctions were blurred all
the way around, on our side and on the side of
the police.  The dynamics that had been set in
motion in Lincoln Park with the cops and the
yippies set the tone for the entire week.  There
had been an interplay the last several days
between the yippies and the Mobe, between Lincoln Park and Grant Park.

The Mobe was the sponsor of the rally that day at
the Grant Park band shell but by now we were all
in this boat together.  Every yippie who had come
to Chicago was now part of the Mobe.  Daley had
given us a permit to rally but not to
march.  I’ve read accounts of the rally but I
don’t remember a single speech.  It was hard to
concentrate and I felt totally on edge, steeling
myself to deal with whatever would happen
next.  Fully armed police were arriving in flying
wedges, shoving and pushing and clubbing people
from behind.  It felt like we were sitting
ducks.  This time they got Rennie Davis and blood
was dripping down his face.  Somehow the rally
continued despite the attacks, and then we tried
to move into a line of march, to head towards the
amphitheater where the Convention was taking place.

But Daley had no intention of letting us march
and blocked us so that there was no way to
move.  The crowd was forced to disperse and
spilled out of the park and over to Michigan
Avenue and the Hilton Hotel where all the
delegates were wining and dining.  The Hilton was
surrounded by a huge phalanx of cops and
military.  But people pressed forward and cops
clubbed us back and lobbed tear gas into the
crowd.  As night began to fall, the crowd
thickened.  The police continued to beat and club
people, demonstrators and reporters and
“innocent” Chicagoans alike.  The Battle of
Michigan Avenue was on.  But the crowd seemed to
actually grow, or at least people held strong,
chanting over and over “The Whole World Is
Watching.”  At that point, we knew we were back
on the world stage and it was exhilarating.  So
this was the Festival of Life after all.  What
had been happening for days in Lincoln Park was
now being repeated in front of the Hilton; only
this time it involved a broader swath of
citizenry and THE WHOLE WORLD WAS WATCHING!

After a while, Jerry and I, along with Stew, Judy
and others, left the Hilton Hotel and began
running around the Loop, Chicago’s downtown area,
blocking traffic and setting fires in garbage
cans.  That was the most militant action I’d ever
engaged in.  As we were turning the corner under
the Elevator train, Jerry was surrounded by cops
who dragged him off and arrested him.  It was not
a random arrest.  It was a targeted arrest of
Jerry.  He later told me that they brought him
into the station where he was confronted by Bob
Pierson, the biker bodyguard.  Pierson revealed
himself to be an undercover cop, or a “pig,” as
we were fond of calling cops, always reminding
ourselves that we were maligning the real pigs in
the process.  That was not the last we would see
of Bob Pierson.  He would later appear as a key
witness in the Chicago Conspiracy Trial.

The journalist John Schultz reports that there
were 668 arrests recorded that week.  52.6% of
the people were from the Windy City.  The rest
came from 36 states and five countries.  550 had
never been arrested before.  75% were 25 years of age or younger.

Later we would learn that inside the Convention
Center, Senator Abraham Ribicoff, Senator from
Connecticut, had condemned the “gestapo-like
tactics” out on the street.  And Mayor Daley had
been caught on mike responding, “You motherfucker
Jew bastard, get your ass out of Chicago.”

The Chicago Corporation Counsel’s Walker Report
concluded that there had indeed been a police
riot in Chicago that week, suggesting cops had
gone amok.  But calling it a “police riot” is a
whitewashing of the situation and underestimated
the cold-blooded calculations of the
establishment in this country.  It is hard to
imagine that Richard Daley, the
shoot-to-maim-and-kill czar of Chicago, would
have allowed such spontaneity from his
officers.  No, the Battle for Chicago was
orchestrated from on high.  The clubbings,
beatings, and gas were all conscious decisions
from at least as high as the Daley
administration.  In fact, we later learned that
there were about one thousand federal agents sent
to work in Chicago that week, including FBI and
military intelligence.  One can only wonder what
exactly was the role of the federal government in the events that ensued.

The problem for them was that they underestimated
they underestimated us.  We were frightened but
despite our fears we persisted.  They may have
thought their threats before the Convention would
deter us.  They were wrong.  They may have
thought the first round of tear gas would deter
us.  They were wrong.  They may have thought the
first cracked head would stop us.  They were
wrong.  We would not be turned back.

It was an amazing few days and a yippie’s delight
in the sense that we were always out to capture
the media’s attention and in this case we
did.  The media reported the truth, the whole
truth, and nothing but the truth, because they
found themselves at the end of the same billy
clubs and tear gas as we.  Even reporters as
respectable as Dan Rather were attacked by the
cops.  They were not embedded journalists.  For
that moment in time there seemed to actually be a
free press!  One reporter is quoted as saying,
“This whole thing has moved me so far left, I can see the back of my head.”

The long-term impact of Chicago 68 has been much
debated.  There are many layers to such an
analysis and that is not the subject of this
piece.  But there is no doubt that Chicago 68
became an iconic moment in American history.

As I write this there are people outside both
Democratic and Republican conventions chanting,
“Let’s recreate 68.”  Of course history cannot be
recreated.  These are very different times.  But
let’s hope the determination to be part of a
worldwide process for peace and justice persists.