[News] Iraq War Veterans Arrested at Final Debate

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Oct 16 12:06:51 EDT 2008

OpEdNews

Original Content at
http://www.opednews.com/articles/Iraq-War-Veterans-Arrested-by-Kevin-Gosztola-081016-85.html

----------
October 16, 2008

Iraq War Veterans Arrested at Final Debate

By Kevin Gosztola

I already did a
<http://www.opednews.com/articles/Joe-the-Plumber-Is-Focus-o-by-Kevin-Gosztola-081015-710.html>summary
of the final debate. But, I cannot ignore the
courage of people who thought it their moral
obligation to risk arrest by attempting to get
inside and ask Senator Obama and Senator McCain questions about the Iraq War.

Through this article, I will highlight 1) the
courageous action of a few which most Americans
are unaware of and 2) how the media does a
disservice to the men and women who have returned
from Iraq and who are fighting for immediate
withdrawal, reparations for Iraqis, and benefits for veterans returning home.

Iraq Veterans Against the War (IVAW) has
consistently acted independently from the two
major parties. Unlike veterans in a coalition
like United for Peace and Justice (UFPJ), IVAW’s
strength is that it can always find a good amount
of veterans to oppose both Democrats and Republicans.

Ever since March 2008, when they held their
“Winter Soldier Investigation” and were ignored,
IVAW has been moving right along challenging the
current policy in the Middle East despite the
fact that media entirely blacked out the event
(search OpEdNews.com for stories; OpEdNews.com
was one of the few media sources that covered the event regularly).

The veterans eventually were able to testify on
the hill in front of the
<http://cpc.lee.house.gov/index.cfm?ContentID=166&ParentID=0&SectionID=4&SectionTree=4&lnk=b&ItemID=164>click
here<http://cpc.lee.house.gov/index.cfm?ContentID=166&ParentID=0&SectionID=4&SectionTree=4&lnk=b&ItemID=164>
Progressive Caucus (CPC) and that can be
attributed to the fact that Dennis Kucinich,
Robert Wexler, and John Conyers were holding
private meetings with members of IVAW.

IVAW marched on the DNC with nearly 10,000
Americans. The veterans were ready to engage in
civil disobedience, but Obama cleverly diffused the situation.

On the night of the final debate, which was held
at Hofstra University, Iraq Veterans Against the
War along with other antiwar groups came to the
debate with the intention of rallying, marching, and risking arrest.

<http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iG2ExNqp-DcJEXrWNGo8tU8tYPnAD93RC7900>The
Associated Press reports:

Police: 15 protesters arrested outside of LI debate

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) ­ Police say 15 people have
been arrested during anti-war protests outside
the Long Island university campus where the presidential debate was held.

Nassau County Police Lt. Kevin Smith says the 15
protesters were arrested on disorderly conduct
charges Wednesday night outside the gates of
Hofstra University in Hempstead. He says they
identified themselves as Iraq war veterans.

Police say they were arrested trying to get onto
the campus after they had been turned away from a
university gate. They say one person may have
received a minor injury and has been taken to a nearby hospital.

<http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iG2ExNqp-DcJEXrWNGo8tU8tYPnAD93RC7900>About
350 people had gathered outside the campus in the
afternoon and were met by mounted police and officers in riot gear.

In order to maintain “objectivity” (or more
importantly “credibility”), the Associated Press
asked the police to explain what happened. No
statement in the article represents what was
happening from the perspective of an antiwar protester.

“He says they identified themselves as Iraq war
veterans.” Either this is lazy journalism or this
is appalling denigration of a group of courageous
young men and women who are fighting to salvage the future of this country.

The veterans should be referred to as members of
an official organization---Iraq Veterans Against
the War. AP may be unaware of the group because
it works hard to ignore such groups but that does
not excuse how they note who was present.

At 11:23 am ET, there are only a handful of
articles on IVAW's attempts to get into the
debate and ask a question. Media blackout is the
coup de grâce that will continually be levelled
against these courageous men and women until they shut the hell up.

The police violence is all too similar to the
Republican National Convention. And so, since I
have pointed out how the corporate media fails,
let’s turn to an alternative news media
report<http://www.indypendent.org/2008/10/16/at-least-nine-demonstrators-arrested-as-iraq-vets-try-to-enter-final-presidential-debate/>
from
the<http://www.indypendent.org/2008/10/16/at-least-nine-demonstrators-arrested-as-iraq-vets-try-to-enter-final-presidential-debate/>
Indypendent that is worth reading:

As millions of Americans were readying their
television sets to tune into the final
presidential debate between John McCain and
Barack Obama, a much different scene was
unfolding outside of Hofstra University in
Hempstead, NY where the debate took place.

<http:///>At least five members of Iraq Veterans
Against the War (IVAW), a group of military
veterans who are calling for immediate withdrawal
from Iraq, were arrested, as well as at least
four civilians, according to National Lawyers
Guild observers. Nassau County police on horses
trampled one member of IVAW, Nick Morgan, a
veteran who served in Iraq for about a year.
Morgan was knocked to the ground, and according
to witnesses, the horse hooves slammed down on
his face. A gash was visible on the side of his
head as blood dripped down onto the pavement.

Protesters in the crowd said that Morgan was taken to a local hospital.

“The horses were pushing, like really pushing,
against [members of IVAW], and physically
touching their bodies,” says Erika Ward, an NYU
student and intern at Democracy Now! “To see
people laying on the ground
was crazy. For me, it
was really emotional, [and] I saw people crying,” she continued.

World Can’t Wait, a group also present at the
protest, sent me this description of the face-off
between the police and the veterans:

“
 Iraq Veterans Against the War had announced
last week that they had questions for Obama and
McCain, and wanted their representatives allowed
in. At 7pm, the deadline of when they expected an
answer from the debate moderator and the
candidates, about 15 members of IVAW led a march
across the street. 100 of us followed at that
point, into the street, backing them up at the
entrance of the campus, shouting "Let them in!"
They were met by a solid line of police on
horses, with nearly 100 riot police. The
activists were non-violent, and announced a peaceful protest.

Matthis Chiroux and Kris Goldsmith read their
questions for the candidates, and when they
stepped forward to go in, were arrested. A total
of 10 IVAW members were arrested, some after
standing together, pushed across the turnpike by
cops on horses. The horses were used repeatedly
to charge into the crowd, and especially at the
IVAW members, in uniform, who were able to stay
upright for nearly 10 minutes. As we were pushed
to the opposite sidewalk, horses pushed several
veterans to the ground, including Geoff Millard,
and at least one, Nick Morgan was stepped on by a
horse, and hospitalized with a broken cheekbone.”

Why were they pushing? Exactly, why was IVAW
trying to force their way into the debate? Why were horses trampling veterans?

IVAW’s report, posted on their website,
<http://ivaw.org/node/4405>IVAW.org, states:

One hour before the final presidential debate of
the 2008 campaign, fourteen members of IVAW
marched in formation to Hofstra University to
present questions for the candidates. IVAW had
requested permission from debate moderator Bob
Schieffer to ask their questions during the debate but got no response.

The contingent of veterans in dress uniforms and
combat uniforms attempted to enter the building
where the debate was to be held in order to ask
their questions but were turned back by police.
The IVAW members at the front of the formation
were immediately arrested, and others were pushed
back into the crowd by police on horseback.
Several members were injured, including former
Army Sergeant Nick Morgan who suffered a broken
cheekbone when he was trampled by police horses before being arrested.

"Neither of the candidates have shown real
support for soldiers and veterans. We came here
to try and get serious questions answered,
questions that we as veterans of the Iraq war,
have a right to ask, but instead we were
arrested. We will continue to ask these questions
no matter who is elected. We believe that the
time has come to end this war and bring our
troops home, and we will be pushing for that no
matter what happens in this election." said Jason
Lemieux, a former Sergeant in the US Marine Corps
and member of IVAW who served three tours in Iraq.

A total of 10 veterans were arrested during the
action, including Matthis Chiroux, Kristopher
Goldsmith, Adam Kokesh, Mike Spinato, Geoff
Millard, Marlisa Grogan, Nathan Peld, Nick
Morgan, James Gilligan and Jose Vasquez.

According to the Indypendent
<http://www.indypendent.org/2008/10/16/at-least-nine-demonstrators-arrested-as-iraq-vets-try-to-enter-final-presidential-debate/>article,
Matthis Chiroux, who in May “publicly declared
his intent to refuse to redeploy to Iraq”, and
Kristopher Goldsmith had prepared questions for Obama and McCain:

Chiroux planned on asking Obama a pointed
question: “My question is, as President of the
United States of America, are you prepared to
back up your own words [about the illegality of
the Iraq War] and the U.S. Constitution by
supporting service members refusing to
participate in what you describe as an illegal occupation?”

Goldsmith wanted to ask McCain a question about
his lack of support for veterans. “What promises
are you willing to make, as a veteran, as a
senator, as a presidential candidate, to the
veterans of the United States, to prove that you
will ensure the V.A. is fully funded, staffed and
capable of preventing troops from suffering as they are now?” he says.

Earlier in the day, James Gilligan, a member of
IVAW, said, “We have a blind media [and] deaf
candidates, but [IVAW] has a voice that will be heard.”

Last night, a so-called maverick and a supposed
candidate for change refused IVAW’s pleas to be
able to shift the debate to focus on the Iraq War and veterans returning home.

Bob Schieffer, a veteran in the world of news
media, continued the media blackout of IVAW by
refusing to respond to IVAW’s letter and by
choosing to not ask any question directly addressing IVAW’s demands.

Are we a country at peace with being at war? When
news media and presidential candidates ignore
veterans with righteous demands and when
Americans do not know or do research to find out
that a group of veterans are being utterly
disrespected, it definitely seems like that is the case.

Authors Bio: Kevin Gosztola goes to Columbia
College in Chicago where he is studying film. He
hopes to become a documentary filmmaker. He is
currently working as a production assistant on a
documentary called "Seriously Green" which traces
the development of the Green Party throughout the
2008 election. He has a passion for journalism
and writes articles or press releases in his
spare time. Kevin Gosztola is also a student
activist who believes in questioning the way
America's systems work(its electoral system, its
military-industrial complex, its foreign policy
of American exceptionalism, its media which has
become the Fourth Branch of government,etc.)
His ambitions have him currently organizing and
raising money for a Chicago Conference for Media
Reform in April or May of 2009. It will be
organized by college students to promote youth
involvement in media reform and justice. Those
interested in attending or helping with the
organization of the program should contact him.