[News] From the Freedom Archives

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu May 22 18:19:30 EDT 2008

Dear friends,

Thanks so very much for your support of the
Freedom Archives. Especially at a time of
increasing economic crisis, we have been
heartened by your contributions. And it is
precisely during such challenging times that our
work can take on even greater impact. Your
support has enabled us to sustain activism across
generations, provide media tools and training for
our communities, and produce important documentary projects.

Our newest audio CD release, Paul Robeson: Words
Like Freedom, is gaining wide exposure and
inspiring people to rediscover Robeson’s
political ideas and eloquence. His words resonate
at this crucial juncture in our history. Thanks
to the wonderful turnout at the CD release party
at the La Pena Community Center and to all of the
program participants  it was a tremendous success.

Legacy of Torture  about the ongoing case of the
San Francisco 8  continues to be shown at film
festivals, conferences, and special events
throughout the world. The video has contributed
to building a nationwide movement for justice and against torture.

Providing skills for our youth and our
communities is essential to our long-term success.
With your support, our Youth Media Training
Program continues to grow. We’re developing an
afterschool program with Galeria De la Raza and
piloting a program with June Jordan High School
to explore the history of people’s movements in the Bay Area.

With your ongoing support we’ve been able to
start work on a new documentary film  COINTELPRO
101  on the history and continuing impact of the
FBI’s vicious counterintelligence program. We’ve
begun interviewing numerous activists who have
direct knowledge of COINTELPRO including Kathleen
Cleaver, Geronimo Ji-Jaga, Ward Churchill,
Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, and Jose Lopez. We are also
utilizing historical footage. Our hope is to
start screening a version of the video by this
fall. If you are able to make a significant
contribution to COINTELPRO 101, we will be glad
to include your name in the film’s credits.

Were he alive and active today, Paul Robeson
would be out there in the streets proclaiming
“The artist must fight for freedom
I have made my choice!”

YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO CAN HELP THE BEAT GO ON!

These projects exemplify the links between
intergenerational community activism and
historical media that are at the heart of the Freedom Archives.

Please stop for a moment to financially support
our work. Our small budget values every
contribution to the max. Our status as a
non-profit educational organization streamlines
the process of making tax-deductible
contributions. Make checks payable to The Freedom Archives.

Here’s to continuing a very productive 2008.

With words like freedom,

Claude and Patricia

Please note that you can now contribute and get
CDs and DVDs on line at our website!