[News] Statement regarding the Rev. Dr. Jeremiah Wright

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri May 2 12:36:06 EDT 2008

Rev. Wright has grown his congregation from less
than 100 to over 7000, has done much of the
rescuing of the community from HIV when city,
county, state and federal officials would do
nothing, agrees with the majority of Black people
(and me) in noting that the US is capable of
creating the HIV virus and infecting the Black
community, notes that one should not ignore a
person (Farrakhan) who could place 1,000,000 men
on the mall in DC, and that 9/11 was a matter of
the chickens coming home to roost, consistent
with Malcolm X’s similar statement about JFK’s assassination.

There’s much more of course.  But in particular I
should note that when my best friend and
colleague, Jose Lopez, was being hounded and
persecuted by the FBI, Rev. Wright stood by him
publicly – because it was correct and true,
despite the fact that Wright had nothing to gain
from supporting a person so far out of his community.

It is appropriate that the clowns running
Northwestern now have the clown Jerry Springer to
speak at graduation.  Clearly they have found a
person who represents the values of NU well.

Steve Whitman

Following is the text of a statement by Alan K.
Cubbage, Northwestern University Vice President
for University Relations, regarding the
University's decision to withdraw an invitation
to the Rev. Dr. Jeremiah Wright to receive an honorary degree.

May 1, 2008

Earlier this academic year, acting on the
recommendation of faculty committees,
Northwestern University extended an invitation to
the Rev. Dr. Jeremiah Wright, former senior
minister of Trinity United Church of Christ in
Chicago, to receive an honorary Doctorate of
Sacred Theology at Northwestern’s Commencement in
June. Commencement at Northwestern is a time of
celebration of the accomplishments of
Northwestern’s graduating students and their
families. In light of the controversy around Dr.
Wright and to ensure that the celebratory
character of Commencement not be affected, the
University has withdrawn its invitation to Dr. Wright.

Dr. Wright was quoted as saying that his
invitation to receive an honorary degree was
withdrawn by Northwestern President Henry Bienen
because Dr. Wright “wasn’t patriotic enough.” If
Dr. Wright was quoted accurately, that statement
is not true. In his conversation and
correspondence with Dr. Wright in March,
President Bienen never characterized Dr. Wright’s
views or made a judgment about them. The letter
said, “In light of the controversy surrounding
statements made by you that have recently been
publicized, the celebratory character of
Northwestern’s commencement would be affected by
our conferring of this honorary degree. Thus I am
withdrawing the offer of an honorary degree previously extended to you.”