[News] Italy gives recognition to the Hawaiian Kingdom Government

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Sun May 18 11:04:46 EDT 2008

Friday, May 16, 2008

http://freehawaii.blogspot.com/

HAWAIIAN KINGDOM GOVERNMENT RECOGNIZED BY ITALY

Italy gave recognition to the Hawaiian Kingdom
Government which is conducting business each weekday on `Iolani Palace grounds.

A letter addressed to Hawai`i Kingdom Government
and stamped “Italian Consulate” reads -

“This office on behalf of the Italian Government
in Hawai`i acknowledges that there was a prior
treaty that was not between the United States nor
the State of Hawai`i but between the Hawaiian
Kingdom and the Italian government.

“We acknowledge and recognize that the Hawaiian
Kingdom exists and is operating at 210 `Iolani
Avenue in Honolulu, Hawai`i 96783.

We appreciate your visits to our office and
appreciate the relationship that Italy has with
the Hawaiian Kingdom and its currently operating government.”

Posted by The Koani Foundation at
<http://freehawaii.blogspot.com/2008/05/hawaiian-kingdom-government-recognized.html>12:14
AM
<http://www.blogger.com/email-post.g?blogID=5685265&postID=3112338469713677914>

Labels:
<http://freehawaii.blogspot.com/search/label/Hawaiian%20Kingdom%20Government%20Iolani%20Palace%20Italy%20Free%20Hawaii>Hawaiian
Kingdom Government Iolani Palace Italy Free Hawaii

Native Hawaiian group: We're staying
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-05-15-hawaii_N.htm

By Dan Nakaso, USA TODAY
HONOLULU ­ Native Hawaiians claiming to be the
"seat of government for the Hawaiian Kingdom" vow
to indefinitely occupy the grounds of historic
Iolani Palace in downtown Honolulu, as state
officials consider possible penalties against them.

About 70 members of the organization known as the
Hawaiian Kingdom Government chained the gates of
the palace April 30 and barred non-Hawaiians from
the palace grounds, a popular tourist attraction.

Though the palace quickly was reopened to the
public, Hawaiian Kingdom Government members show no signs of leaving.

Mahealani Kahau, who calls herself head of state
of the Hawaiian Kingdom Government, said the news
media have misrepresented the organization as a
Hawaiian "sovereignty group" or even "protesters."

"We're not protesting against anything," Kahau
said. "We're not a sovereignty group. We are the
seat of government for the Hawaiian Kingdom. We
are here assuming and resuming the Hawaiian seat
of government, and we are proceeding as the seat of government."

After the Hawaiian Kingdom Government unlocked
the gates of the palace grounds, state officials
issued Kahau a permit to occupy the palace lawn
during the day, and the public is once again able
to visit the palace. The application for the
permit was signed by "Her Royal Majesty, Mahealani."

Laura H. Thielen, the head of Hawaii's Department
of Land and Natural Resources, which has
jurisdiction over the palace grounds, said
attorneys are considering legal action against
the Hawaiian Kingdom Government for chaining the
palace gates and refusing access to non-Hawaiians.

Native Hawaiian groups have occupied Hawaiian
beaches and other public places in the past in
protest over perceived injustices to Hawaiian
people, but rarely in such a high-profile location.

After Hawaii became a U.S. territory in 1898,
Hawaiians were barred from speaking Hawaiian in
school and condemned for dancing hula and
following other cultural practices, said Jon Van
Dyke, a law professor at the University of Hawaii
who is a consultant to Hawaii's Office of Hawaiian Affairs.

Though Hawaiian culture now thrives in the school
system ­ "Hawaiian studies" is a requirement for
fourth-graders in public and some private schools
­ government-sanctioned entitlements continue to
be slow in coming for many Hawaiians, Van Dyke said.

Congress issued an apology in 1993 acknowledging
that the U.S. government illegally overthrew the
Kingdom of Hawaii a century before.

Van Dyke said many Hawaiians are growing
frustrated as they await passage of the Native
Hawaiian Government Reorganization Act of 2007,
commonly known here as the Akaka Bill, after its
sponsor, Sen. Daniel Akaka, D-Hawaii.

Akaka has proposed similar bills since 2000. The
current bill would establish a process for Native
Hawaiians to gain federal recognition, similar to
what more than 500 Native American tribes have on the mainland, Van Dyke said.

The bill, passed by the House of Representatives,
will be considered by the full Senate this year,
said Regan Lachapelle, a spokeswoman for Senate
Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev.

The Hawaiian Kingdom Government, which does not
recognize U.S. or Hawaiian state authority, is
one of the lesser-known organizations that claim
to be the legitimate representatives of Native
Hawaiians. Others include the Reinstated Hawaiian
Government and the Independent and Sovereign National State of Hawaii.

The Hawaiian Kingdom Government has an office
from which its leaders hold regular hours.
According to the organization's website
(www.higovt.org), its goals include quality
housing for the Hawaiian people and more
affordable education and health care for residents.

Honolulu officials' handling of the Iolani Palace
situation has been both criticized and applauded.

H. William Burgess, a Honolulu attorney and
member of the Hawaii Advisory Committee of the
U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, called the
actions by the Hawaiian Kingdom Government "outrageous."

"It harms the interest of the people of Hawaii
when (government officials) sit there idly and
allow thugs to take over an important treasure that all of us own," he said.

"There is an acknowledged wrong that needs to be
resolved," Van Dyke countered. "Our local
officials have always appreciated the frustration that Native Hawaiians have."

Kahau maintains that members of the Hawaiian
Kingdom Government will return to the palace grounds each day indefinitely.

The permit, she said, "is just to satisfy them,"
she said, referring to the local government. "We
are obeying the laws of the Hawaiian Kingdom."

Nakaso reports for The Honolulu Advertiser.
Contributing: Gordon Y.K. Pang, The Honolulu Advertiser; Gannett News Service.