[News] Chamorro self-determination - "Airmen warned about harassment"

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Mar 18 11:10:11 EDT 2008

Article in Marianas Variety 3/11/08 issue:

"Airmen warned against possible harassment

By Mar-Vic Cagurangan
Variety News Staff

AN Air Force official advised airmen to report any possible
harassment by anti-military bases protestors holding rallies across
from the main gate of Andersen Air Force Base.

"If the protestor attempts to cross the road and enter the base,
displays vulgar language or rude gestures please report this to the
T&W contract guards while entering or directly to the SFS
Investigator x-7098," stated the memo from  USAF MSgt Wesley H. Willand.

Chamorro activist Howard Hemsing, a resident of Yigo, occasionally
holds a one-man protest rally in front of AAFB bearing a "Yankee Go
Home" placard.

Hemsing said in an earlier interview that the presence of military
bases on Guam puts the community in danger, and that he would not let
up on his campaign against the U.S. troops.

In a brief telephone interview, Willand said anyone who gets harassed
by protestors may write a full statement of complaint for submission
to the AAFB guards."

_______________________________

LETTER TO THE EDITOR

against possible harassment - while I do not always agree with the
statements or placard displays by fellow activist Senot Howard
Hemsing (Maga'Lahi Aniti), nor do I espouse his political status
choice, I will stand to defend his right to do so.

The entire complement of the United States Air Force, Navy, Marines,
Army - and their associated reservists; Coast Guard; clandestine
intelligence operatives; transplanted neopolitical subversives;
nuclear powered ships and attack  submarines - whether crashing into
our undersea mountains or washing their contaminations into our
ocean; stealth and other assorted bombers flying overhead and
crashing onto our lands - whether armed or maybe not with weapons of
mass destruction or just returning from air shows; the U.S. military
industrial complex playing a heavy hand, not only toward the
impending so-called "peacetime" invasion of my homeland, but also
inviting further invasion and population explosion onto this small
island under the guise of "business and other economic
opportunities"... yeah, with all your power and might, USAF MSgt
Wesley H. Willand, let's start taking notes and making reports about
harassment.

Take this note Master Sgt:  Learn about the history and relationship
between the United States and Guam - not just your yes sir, no sir,
military indoctrination but our federal-territorial
relationship.  Learn about what my people went through here during
WWII, and that even today there is still so much the United States
has, as a sacred trust and obligation, to accomplish and continues to
fail us.  Try to see past the muzzle of your M16 and frightening
WMD's, that we are not the enemy as you may perceive.  In fact, you
have just re-inforced the resistance we are fighting... THAT your
presence is a detriment to our peace and political destiny, our very
freedom as indigenous people in our own homeland.

So, go ahead Master Sgt. and tell your people to file their
complaints to your AAFB guards, for you see, we have no place to go
do the same, save my voice - and Senot Hemsing's and those of our
activist brethren - voices and signs, however disturbing they may
seem to you, but we will not be silenced.  You, sir, must realize you
are guests in my homeland, and yes, even the very base you are
occupying is Chamorro land!

Welcome to Guam Master Sgt., the land of the Chamorro people,
colonized by the United States of America!   By the way, why don't
you tell your own people to restrict their own one-finger salutes to
each other.  I carry no weapons and I wish you peace, even as I
struggle most non-violently for my own.  When you see me next, I
would just love it if you'd wave back, but, uh, no guns or bad
language or rude gestures, OK?  Nilibre!

Patty Garrido

Harmon Cliffline (Naton, Guahan)

688-8038