[News] Claiming impunity, Bush vetoes bill and justifies torture again

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Sat Mar 8 11:31:53 EST 2008

"The main reason this program has been effective
is that it allows the C.I.A. to use specialized
interrogation procedures to question a small
number of the most dangerous terrorists under
careful supervision. The bill Congress sent me
would deprive the C.I.A. of the authority to use
these safe and lawful techniques. Instead, it
would restrict the C.I.A.’s range of acceptable
interrogation methods to those provided in the
Army field manual. The procedures in this manual
were designed for use by soldiers questioning
lawful combatants captured on the battlefield.
They were not intended for intelligence
professionals trained to question hardened terrorists.

Limiting the C.I.A.’s interrogation methods to
those in the Army field manual would be dangerous
because the manual is publicly available and
easily accessible on the Internet. Shortly after
9/11, we learned that key Al Qaeda operatives had
been trained to resist the methods outlined in
the manual. And this is why we created
alternative procedures to question the most
dangerous Al Qaeda operatives, particularly those
who might have knowledge of attacks planned on
our homeland. The best source of information
about terrorist attacks is the terrorists
themselves. If we were to shut down this program
and restrict the C.I.A. to methods in the field
manual, we could lose vital information from
senior Al Qaeda terrorists, and that could cost American lives."
- George Bush

March 8, 2008

Bush Vetoes Bill That Would Limit Interrogations

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/08/washington/08cnd-policy.html?hp
By
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/m/steven_lee_myers/index.html?inline=nyt-per>STEVEN
LEE MYERS

WASHINGTON ­ President Bush on Saturday further
cemented his legacy of fighting for strong
executive powers, using his veto to shut down a
congressional effort to limit the
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/c/central_intelligence_agency/index.html?inline=nyt-org>Central
Intelligence Agency’s latitude to subject
terrorism suspects to harsh interrogation
techniques that are prohibited by the military and law enforcement agencies.

Mr. Bush vetoed a bill that would have explicitly
prohibited the agency from using such
interrogation methods, which include
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/t/torture/waterboarding/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier>waterboarding,
a technique in which restrained prisoners are
threatened with drowning and that has been the
subject of intense criticism at home and abroad.

Mr. Bush’s veto deepens his battle with
increasingly assertive Democrats in Congress over
issues at the heart of his legacy. As his
presidency winds down, he has made it clear he
does not intend to bend in this or other
confrontations with Congress on issues from the
war in Iraq to contempt charges against his chief
of staff,
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/joshua_b_bolten/index.html?inline=nyt-per>Joshua
B. Bolten, and former counsel,
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/m/harriet_e_miers/index.html?inline=nyt-per>Harriet
E. Miers.

Mr. Bush announced the veto in the usual format
of his weekly radio address, which is distributed
to stations across the country each Saturday. In
his remarks, he unflinchingly defended an
interrogation program that has prompted critics
to accuse him not only of authorizing torture
previously but also of refusing to ban it in the future.

“Because the danger remains,” he said, referring
to threats from
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/a/al_qaeda/index.html?inline=nyt-org>Al
Qaeda and other terrorist groups, “we need to
ensure our intelligence officials have all the
tools they need to stop the terrorists.”

Mr. Bush’s veto ­ only the ninth of his
presidency, but the eighth in the last 10 months
with Democrats in control of Congress ­
underscored his determination to preserve many of
the executive prerogatives his administration has
claimed in the name of fighting terrorism, and to
cement them into law before he steps down.

Mr. Bush is now fighting with Congress over the
expansion of powers under the Foreign
Intelligence Surveillance Act and over the depth
of the American security commitments to Iraq once
the
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/u/united_nations/index.html?inline=nyt-org>United
Nations mandate for the international forces
there expires at the end of the year.

The administration has also moved ahead with the
first military tribunals of those detained at
Guantánamo, including
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/m/khalid_shaikh_mohammed/index.html?inline=nyt-per>Khalid
Shaikh Mohammed, a mastermind of the attacks of
Sept. 11, 2001, despite calls to try suspects in civilian courts.

All are issues that turn on presidential powers
and all will define Mr. Bush’s legacy for decades
to come. And as he has through most of his
presidency, he built his case on the threat of terrorism.

“The fact that we have not been attacked over the
past six and a half years is not a matter of
chance,” Mr. Bush said in his radio remarks,
echoing comments he made on Thursday at a
ceremony marking the fifth anniversary of the
creation of the
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/h/homeland_security_department/index.html?inline=nyt-org>Department
of Homeland Security.

“We have no higher responsibility than stopping
terrorist attacks,” he added. “And this is no
time for Congress to abandon practices that have
a proven track record of keeping America safe.”

The bill Mr. Bush vetoed would have limited all
American interrogators to techniques allowed in
the Army Field Manual on Interrogation, which
prohibits using physical force against prisoners.

Democrats, who supported the legislation as part
of a larger bill that authorized a vast array of
intelligence programs, criticized the veto
sharply, but they do not have the votes to override it.

“This president had the chance to end the torture
debate for good,” one of its sponsors, Senator
Diane Feinstein of California, said in a
statement on Friday evening when it became clear
Mr. Bush intended to carry out his veto threat.
“Yet, he chose instead to leave the door open to
use torture in the future. The United States is not well-served by this.”

The Senate’s majority leader,
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/r/harry_reid/index.html?inline=nyt-per>Harry
Reid of Nevada, said that Mr. Bush disregarded
the advice of military commanders, including Gen.
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/p/david_h_petraeus/index.html?inline=nyt-per>David
H. Petraeus, who argued that the military’s
interrogation techniques were effective and that
the use of any others could create risks for any
future American prisoners of war.

“He has rejected the Army field manual’s
recognition that such horrific tactics elicit
unreliable information, put U.S. troops at risk
and undermine our counterinsurgency efforts,” Mr. Reid said in a statement.

Democrats vowed to raise the matter again, and
the debate could spill into the presidential
campaign, which some Republicans suspect was a
motive for the Democrats to push the issue.

Senator
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/m/john_mccain/index.html?inline=nyt-per>John
McCain, now the Republican presidential nominee,
has been an outspoken opponent of torture from
his own experience as a prisoner of war in
Vietnam. In this case, however, he supported the
administration’s position, arguing as Mr. Bush
did on Saturday that legislation would have
limited the C.I.A.’s ability to gather intelligence.

Mr. Bush said that the agency should not be bound
by rules written for soldiers in combat, as
opposed to highly trained experts dealing with
hardened terrorists. The bill’s supporters
countered that the legislation would have banned
only a handful of techniques whose effective was in dispute in any case.

The administration has also said that
waterboarding is no longer in use, though
officials acknowledged last month that it had
been used in three instances before the middle of
2003, including against Khalid Shaikh Mohammed.
Officials, however, have left vague the question
of whether it could be authorized again in extraordinary circumstances.

Mr. Bush asserted, as he has previously, that
information from the C.I.A.’s interrogations had
averted terrorist attacks, including plots to
attack a Marine camp in Djibouti, the American
consulate in Karachi, Pakistan, Library Tower in
Los Angeles and passenger planes from Britain.
And he maintained that the techniques involved
the exact nature of which remains classified as
secret ­ were “safe and lawful.”

“Were it not for this program, our intelligence
community believes that Al Qaeda and its allies
would have succeeded in launching another attack
against the American homeland,” Mr. Bush said.

The handling of detainees since 2001 has dogged
the administration politically, but Mr. Bush and
his aides have barely conceded any ground to
critics, even in the face of legal challenges, as
happened with the prisoners in Guantánamo or the warrant-less wiretapping.

At the core of the administration’s position is a
conviction that the executive branch must have
unfettered freedom when it comes to prosecuting war.

Stephen Hess, a president scholar at the
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/b/brookings_institution/index.html?inline=nyt-org>Brookings
Institution, said that President Bush’s actions
were consistent with his efforts to expand
executive power and his promises to work hard to
the end of his presidency to protect the results
of those efforts. Some, he said, could easily be
undone ­ with a Democratic president signing a
bill like the one he vetoed on Saturday, for
example ­ but the more Mr. Bush accomplishes now,
the more difficult that becomes.

“Every administration is concerned with
protecting the power of the presidency,” he said.
“This president has done that with a lot more vigor.”

Representative Bill Delahunt, a Democrat from
Massachusetts, has been holding hearings on the
administration’s negotiations with Iraq over the
legal status of American troops in Iraq beyond
Mr. Bush’s presidency. He said that the
administration had rebuffed demands to bring any
agreement to Congress for approval, and has largely succeeded.

“They’re excellent at manipulating the arguments
so that if Congress should assert itself, members
expose themselves to charges of being soft, not
tough enough on terrorism,” he said. “My view is
history is going to judge us all.”