[News] Message from Dr. Jean-Bertrand Aristide on Solidarity

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Mar 13 12:28:21 EDT 2008

http://www.haitisolidarity.net/article.php?id=232&printsafe=1

Message from Dr. Jean-Bertrand Aristide

P. Jean-Bertrand Aristide
Pretoria, South Africa

Dear Friends,

May the spirit of International Day in Solidarity
with the Haitian People continue to spread!

If the more than 10,000 people killed in the 18
months that followed the February 29, 2004 coup
d’état could speak, what would they say?  Would
they join voices with the young women raped and
sexually assaulted since the coup?  Would they
remind us that these women are estimated to
constitute half the population of Haiti’s shanty
towns?  Would they unite with the voices of the
3,200 people imprisoned in a National
Penitentiary built to hold 1,200 prisoners?  And
what of the countless others who were inhumanely
abused and now clearly betrayed?  What would their message be?

They would rise in chorus with Lovinsky
Pierre-Antoine to say Mési, thank you, for the
solidarity demonstrated four years later.

Because they cannot, I will: Thank you.

Thank you to each and every participant in the 56
actions organized in 47 cities across four
continents as part of the 3rd International Day
of Solidarity.  Your solidarity strengthens the
people’s determination to continue to affirm
human dignity and struggle for true democracy, justice and peace.

United to all our Haitian sisters and brothers
who, on that same day, condemned the kidnapping
of February 29, 2004 and called for our return to
Haiti, let us continue to drink from this
historical stream of solidarity with grateful
thanks to our mother Haiti. “Gratitude is the
least of the virtues but ingratitude is the worst of the vices.”

Ab imo pectore, from the bottom of my heart,

Dr. Jean-Bertrand Aristide

Pretoria, March 11, 2008