[News] Interview with Mohawk grandmother beaten by border agents

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jun 19 14:30:19 EDT 2008

Interview with Mohawk grandmother beaten by border agents

Posted by
<http://narcosphere.narconews.com/notebook/brenda-norrell/2008/06//users/brenda-norrell>Brenda
Norrell - June 18, 2008 at 9:02 am
http://narcosphere.narconews.com/notebook/brenda-norrell/2008/06/interview-with-mohawk-grandmother-beaten-border-agents
Telephone interview with Katenies

By Brenda Norrell

AKWESASNE -- Mohawk grandmothers Kahentinetha Horn and Katenies were
in custody at the US/Canadian border on Saturday, June 14, 2008, when
the two women were handcuffed and beaten by gangs of officers and
border patrol agents. Eight officers beat Kahentinetha, 68-years-old,
and five officers beat Katenies. Kahentinetha, publisher of Mohawk
Nation News, suffered a heart attack and is in a Canadian hospital.
Katenies was released from jail Monday evening and is in seclusion.
Katenies, in a telephone interview on Tuesday afternoon, described
the police attack on the women at the border. Katenies said the women
were returning to Canada from a visit in the US, when they were
stopped at the border. After the women showed their Haudenosaunee
identification, they were told the IDs were not sufficient and they
were detained. Then border agents did a background check.

Katenies was told that she had an earlier warrant. She had refused to
recognize the authority of the Canadian government over her. In the
earlier case she had stopped at a border check and was granted
permission to pass, but border agents later claimed she was not
cleared to pass. When she refused to recognize the authority of the
Canadian government over her, a warrant resulted.

On Saturday, when Katenies refused to get out of the car, five huge
Canadian officers and border agents jumped on her, dragged her out
and threw her to the concrete, grinding her chin into the concrete.

"I went down so fast, they had knees in my back and kidneys. They
were like a football team on me and they acted like they had no boundaries."

"They told me if I didn't cooperate, they would break my arms."

As officers attacked Katenies, Kahentinetha was on her cell phone
calling family members and authorities for help. When Kahentinetha
refused to hang up, eight officers attacked her.

Katenies was placed in a cell and could hear the officers bring in
Kahentinetha. Katenies could hear Kahentinetha yelling for them to
loosen the handcuffs. By the screams of pain, Katenies said it
sounded like the police were continuing to tighten the handcuffs as
Kahentinetha cried out.

Kahentinetha was handcuffed in a stress hold. The handcuffs cut off
Kahentinetha's circulation and she suffered a heart attack.
A family member arrived at the same time and was able to get an
ambulance immediately for Kahentinetha and she was transported to a hospital.

Katenies was transported to jail in Cornwall, where she remained in
custody from Saturday until Monday evening. Katenies said the two
women were not charged, but were told they would be charged at a later date.

Kahentinetha remains in the hospital, with family present, and her
condition is not known.

A member of the Mohawk Warrior Society said, "They did this because
we have the greatest weapon, the truth, and what Kahentinetha writes
is the truth. They are terrified of the truth. What they are trying
to do is provoke the Mohawks." He said ultimately what they want is
to provoke the Mohawks into a confrontation so the Mohawks who are
resisting will be shot and killed. He said the Canadian government's
plan was to assassinate Kahentinetha.