[News] SF Bay View’s not dead! We’ll see you on the web

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jul 21 11:34:40 EDT 2008

The Bay View’s not dead! We’ll see you on the web

You’re looking for the paper – the Bay View in
print – and you can’t find one since the July 2
edition. You’re wondering why no one’s told you what’s wrong.

The quick answer is that yes, we ran flat out of
funds or any source to tap and had to suspend
printing the paper, at least for now. And that
tragic decision set so many things in motion we
haven’t yet been able to get to a lot of the
basics, like telling our dearest friends and most faithful readers what’s up.

How you can learn more and give us a hand

Meetings: If you’re in the Bay Area – and please
forward this invitation to Bay Area residents you
know – come to one of two meetings, in San
Francisco and Oakland, that Minister of
Information JR is planning to announce and
discuss with the community the Bay View’s “next
steps.” With enough community support, we hope to
find a way to print the Bay View monthly. We also
need your help to make
<http://www.sfbayview.com/>www.sfbayview.com more
interactive and to campaign for internet access for everybody.

JR explains: “We think it is important for the
community to be forward thinking when looking at
the demise of the SF Bay View newspaper print
edition. We want to come together with organizers
to discuss the future of this Black led
alternative independent media crew known as the
SF Bay View newspaper and discuss some future
plans that lie on the horizon and get concrete commitments from supporters.

“The meeting is Thursday, July 24, ‘08, 6 p.m.,
at 1095 Market St. #307 off of Seventh in
downtown San Francisco, by Civic Center BART. All are invited.”

Save the date of Saturday evening, Aug. 9, for
the Oakland meeting, which will feature a media
panel and a party along with the grassroots
discussion and planning. The Black New World, 836
Pine St., West Oakland, is the place. We’ll be
looking for all our East Bay readers – everyone’s welcome! More details soon.

I just got two calls – there have been many, as
you can imagine – one from a young teacher and
one from an elder, saying how “distraught” they
and those around them are not to be able to hold
a Bay View in their hands. I surely feel their
pain (this is editor Mary Ratcliff); the paper’s
been my entire life 24/7/365 for over 16 years of
editing every word in 697 editions – and I’ve loved every minute.

At the top of the home page at
<http://www.sfbayview.com/>www.sfbayview.com,
you’ll see the headline
<http://www.sfbayview.com/News/Display_Front_page/San_Francisco_Bay_View_The_end_of_an_era_the_dawn_of_a_new_day.html>San
Francisco Bay View: The end of an era, the dawn
of a new day. Some of my thoughts about the Bay
View’s transition to publishing online only, at
least for the moment, are there along with a
Block Report Radio interview by Minister of
Information JR with Bay View publisher Willie
Ratcliff that was broadcast on Flashpoints.

Now it’s your turn: Whether or not you can attend
the meetings, please email your thoughts and
suggestions to <mailto:editor at sfbayview.com>editor at sfbayview.com.

Readers in prison: The printed Bay View has
literally been a lifeline for people without
internet access and most of all for prisoners.
Our mail is heavy every day with letters from
every concentration camp in the country, many
prisoners saying, “The Bay View keeps me alive.”

Until we can afford to mail the sad news – or,
hopefully, a monthly paper – to them, you can
help by telling all the prisoners you talk with
or write to and ask them to spread the news. Tell
them we care about them as much as ever, that
we’ll continue to post their stories and pen pal
requests on the website (volunteers are badly
needed to type a huge backlog of requests) and
that we want to join them in campaigning for
internet access behind enemy lines.

Eugene Thomas, an amazing young man in a Georgia
state prison who won his fight to legalize cell
phones, is now pushing for permission to upgrade
to phones with internet access. And some federal
prisons now give prisoners access to the web. The
prisoners themselves have kicked off this campaign. Let’s follow their lead!

Web advertising and traffic: Whatever
opportunities the future holds for the Bay View
and other alternative media will cost money, and
income for most media, whether in print or
online, comes primarily from advertising. When we
had to suspend printing the Bay View, my first
task was to tell our advertisers the sad news and
ask them to move their ads to our website. Most
agreed to do so or at least to consider it.

Knowing very little about web advertising,
especially how to price it and what options to
offer, I’m afraid our website, like the print
edition, could be starved for funds. If you or
someone you know has expertise in web advertising
to offer, please email me at
<mailto:editor at sfbayview.com>editor at sfbayview.com.

Maybe
<http://www.sfbayview.com/>www.sfbayview.com can
earn enough to help put the Bay View back in
print! The traffic to our site, which already
draws over a million hits a month, is bound to
increase. You can help build the
<http://www.sfbayview.com/>www.sfbayview.com
readership by spreading this Bay View Alert far and wide.