[News] Palestine in the Mind of America

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Feb 14 13:39:05 EST 2008

http://www.counterpunch.org/

February 14, 2008

Talking to a Wall

Palestine in the Mind of America

By KATHLEEN and BILL CHRISTISON

You would think that showing maps clearly
delineating the truncated, obviously non-viable
area available for a possible Palestinian state
and showing pictures that define Israel's
occupation of Palestinian territories would have
some kind of impact on an audience of astute but,
on this issue, generally uninformed Americans. We
recently spoke to a small foreign affairs
discussion group and devoted much of our
presentation to these images of oppression --
images that never appear in the U.S. media -- in
the probably naïve hope of making some kind of
dent in the impassive American attitude toward
Israel's 40-year occupation of Palestinian territory.

But our expectations that these people would
listen and perhaps learn something were sadly
misplaced. Few among the elite seminar-style
discussion group seemed concerned about, or even
particularly interested in, what is happening on
the ground in Palestine-Israel, and the event
stands as starkly emblematic of American apathy
about the oppressive Israeli regime in the
occupied territories that the United States is
enabling and in many instances actively encouraging.

The maps that we displayed of the West Bank,
prepared by the UN and by Israeli human rights
groups, clearly depicted the segmented,
disconnected scatter of territorial pieces that
would make up the Palestinian state even in the
most optimistic of scenarios -- Palestinian areas
broken up by the separation wall cutting deep
into the West Bank; by large Israeli settlements
scattered throughout and taking up something like
10 percent of the territory; by the network of
roads connecting the settlements, all accessible
only to Israeli drivers; and by the Jordan
Valley, currently barred to any Palestinian not
already living there, making up fully one-quarter
of the West Bank, and ultimately destined for annexation by Israel.

The maps make it clear that even the most
generous Israeli plan would leave a Palestinian
state with only 50-60 percent of the West Bank
(constituting 11-12 percent of original
Palestine), broken into multiple separated
segments and including no part of Jerusalem. The
photographs, taken during our several trips to
Palestine in recent years, depicted the
separation wall, checkpoints and terminals in the
wall resembling cages, Palestinian homes
demolished and official buildings destroyed, vast
Israeli settlements built on confiscated
Palestinian land, destroyed Palestinian olive
groves, commerce in Palestinian cities shut down
because of marauding Israeli settlers or soldiers.

We have shown maps and pictures like these myriad
times before, but have never been received with
quite such disinterest. Here was a group of
mostly retired U.S. government officials,
academics, journalists, and business
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0520217187/counterpunchmaga>
[]
executives, as well as a few still-working
professionals -- all ranging in political
orientation from center right to center left, the
cream of informed, educated America, the exemplar
of elite mainstream opinion in the United States.
Their lack of concern about what Israel and,
because of its enabling role, the U.S. are doing
to destroy an entire people and their national
aspirations could not have been more evident.

The first person to comment when our presentation
concluded, identifying herself as Jewish, said
she had "never heard a more one-sided
presentation" and labeled us "beyond
anti-Semitic" -- which presumably is somewhat
worse than plain-and-simple anti-Semitic. This is
always a somewhat upsetting charge, although it
is so common and so expected as to be of little
note anymore. What was more noteworthy was the
reaction, or lack of it, among the rest of the
assembled, who never disputed her charge but
spent most of the discussion period either
disputing our presentation or trying to find ways to accommodate "Jewish pain."

Our brief conversation with this woman progressed
in an interesting fashion. We tried to engage her
in a discussion about what exactly was one-sided
in our depiction of the situation on the ground
and what she would have liked to see to make it
"two-sided." She did not answer but indicated
that she thought whatever Israel did must be
justified by Palestinian actions. "Someone had to
have started it," she said. We laid out a little
history for her, noting that the first action,
the "who-started-it" part, could be traced back
to Britain's Balfour Declaration pledge in 1917
to promote the establishment of a Jewish homeland
in Palestine, at a time when Jews made up no more
than 10 percent of the population of Palestine.
Then we came up to the 1947 UN partition
resolution, which allotted 55 percent of
Palestine for a Jewish state at a time when Jews
owned only seven percent of the land and made up
slightly less than one-third of the population.

Her answer was, "Well, but it wasn't Jews who did
this." We disabused her of this and briefly
detailed the deliberate Zionist program of ethnic
cleansing against the Palestinian population
conducted during 1947-48 war, as described by
several Israeli historians, including
particularly Ilan Pappe, whose The Ethnic
Cleansing of Palestine is based on Israeli
military archives. Her eyes actually began to
bulge, but she held her tongue. Apparently
deciding that she had no way of refuting these
facts, she finally decided that going back in
history was of no utility -- a common Zionist
dodge -- and that Israel had not been established
in any case to be a democracy but was a haven for
persecuted Jews and as such has every right to
organize itself in any way it sees fit. The
moderator finally called on others who wanted to
speak, and the discussion moved on.

But not very far. The talk now circled, for over
an hour, around what passed for profound
discussion: around someone's curious remarks
about Zeitgeist, someone else's equally curious
insistence that there was "something out there
that no one would talk about" that was
influencing the situation, a few remarks about
Palestinians as terrorists and how even if Israel
made peace with the Palestinians Hamas would
still try to destroy it, a lot of talk about how
to accommodate Jewish pain and, taking off from
this, a psychologist's attempt to draw an analogy
between Jews who live in fear of persecution and
the rape victims she counsels who live in
constant fear that they will be raped again or worse.

A few people did ask interested questions about
the situation on the ground and about various
aspects of Israeli policy. After the discussion
had centered for quite a while on Jewish pain,
one person pointed out that Palestinians too feel
pain and live in fear, but no one else picked up
on this. No one challenged the first speaker's
personal charge of anti-Semitism against us, and
in the end there was almost no mention of the
destructive Israeli practices that had been the subject of our presentation.

We had occasion to email several of the
participants the next day. In one message, we
lodged a mild complaint with the three group
organizers about the fact that the charge of
anti-Semitism was allowed not only to stand but
to set the tone for much of the discussion, with
no refutation of the substance of the charge by
anyone except us. In another message, sent to a
man who had expressed puzzlement over why the
Jewish vote was thought to be important in U.S.
elections, we forwarded without comment an
article from Mother Jones about Barack Obama's
difficulties with the Jewish community and his
concerted effort to demonstrate his bona fides by
pledging fealty to Israel and justifying Israel's siege of Gaza.

Finally, to the psychologist, we wrote a comment
on her analogy between Jews and rape victims,
observing that as a psychologist she undoubtedly
did not encourage her rape victim clients to
perpetuate their fear or adopt an aggressive
attitude toward other people, but most likely
gave them tools to help them regain trust and
move beyond fears for their personal safety. This
kind of restorative therapy for Jews has never
been employed, we noted, but on the contrary
Israeli leaders and American Jewish leaders have
encouraged Jewish fears, along with an
aggressive, militaristic Israeli policy toward its neighbors.

These were all gratuitous overtures by us, but
they were not inappropriate or uncivil. Yet not
one of these people saw fit to answer our
missives or even acknowledge their receipt --
indicating, we can only assume, the general level
of unconcern among Americans about the atrocities
being committed against Palestinians, including
the siege and starvation imposed on Gazans. Then,
too, the lack of response probably reflects
feelings on the part of most attendees that we
are somehow responsible for having involved them
in a discussion that turned out to be fairly unpleasant for them.

Why is this interesting to anyone but us? Because
this in-depth discussion with a small but
representative group of intelligent, thinking
Americans is indicative of a broad range of U.S.
public opinion on foreign policy issues, and
their level of disinterest in the consequences of
U.S. policies is quite disturbing. The
self-absorption evident during this meeting, the
general "don't-rock-the-boat" posture, the
overwhelming lack of concern for the victims of
Israeli and U.S. power amount to a license to
kill for the U.S. and its allies. The same
unconcern allowed the United States to get away
with killing millions of Vietnamese decades ago;
it gives license to mass U.S. killing in Iraq and
Afghanistan; it is the reason Democrats still,
after seven years of Bush administration torture
and killing around the world, cannot fully
separate themselves from Republican militarism.
It gives Israel license to kill and ethnically
cleanse the entire nation of Palestine.

Kathleen Christison is a former CIA political
analyst and has worked on Middle East issues for
30 years. She is the author of
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0520217187/counterpunchmaga>Perceptions
of Palestine and
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/097125480X/counterpunchmaga>The
Wound of Dispossession. She can be reached at
<mailto:kathy.bill.christison at comcast.net>kathy.bill.christison at comcast.net.

Bill Christison was a senior official of the CIA.
He served as a National Intelligence officer and
as director of the CIA's Office of Regional and Political Analysis.

They can be reached at
<mailto:kathy.bill.christison at comcast.net>kathy.bill.christison at comcast.net.