[News] New Orleans - The Grinning Skull

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Dec 23 11:24:56 EST 2008

The Grinning Skull

December 23, 2008 By Rebecca Solnit
Source: <http://www.tomdispatch.com>TomDispatch

What do you do when you notice that there seems to have been a
killing spree? While the national and international media were
working themselves and much of the public into a frenzy about
imaginary hordes of murderers, rapists, snipers, marauders, and
general rampagers among the stranded crowds of mostly poor, mostly
black people in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina, a group of
white men went on a shooting spree across the river.

Their criminal acts were no secret but they never became part of the
official story. The media demonized the city's black population for
crimes that turned out not to have happened, and the retractions
were, as always, too little too late. At one point FEMA
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002520986_katmyth26.html>sent
a refrigerated 18-wheeler to pick up what a colonel in the National
Guard expected to be 200 bodies in New Orleans's Superdome, only to
find six, including four who died naturally and a suicide. Meanwhile,
the media never paid attention to the real rampage that took place
openly across the river, even though there were corpses lying in
unflooded streets and testimony everywhere you looked -- or I looked, anyway.

The widely reported violent crimes in the Superdome turned out to be
little more than hysterical rumor, but they painted African-Americans
as out-of-control savages at a critical moment. The result was to
shift institutional responses from disaster relief to law
enforcement, a decision that resulted in further deaths among the
thirsty, hot, stranded multitude. Governor Kathleen Blanco
<http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/02/katrina.impact/>announced, "I
have one message for these hoodlums: These troops know how to shoot
and kill, and they are more than willing to do so if necessary, and I
expect they will." So would the white vigilantes, and though their
exact body count remains unknown, at least 11 black men were
apparently shot, some fatally.

The parish of Orleans includes both the city of New Orleans on one
side of the Mississippi and a community on the other side called
Algiers that can be reached via a bridge called the Crescent City
Connection. That bridge comes down in another town called Gretna, and
the sheriff of Gretna and a lot of his henchmen turned many of the
stranded in New Orleans back at gunpoint from that bridge, trapping
them in the squalor of a destroyed city, another heinous crime that
was largely overlooked. On the Gretna/Algiers side of the river, the
levees held and nothing flooded. Next door to Gretna, Algiers is a
mostly black community, but one corner of it down by the river,
Algiers Point, is a white enclave, a neighborhood of pretty little,
well-kept-up wooden houses -- and of killers.

What do you do when you notice that there seems to have been a
killing spree? By my second visit to New Orleans almost a year and a
half after the hurricane that devastated the place, I had more than
enough information to know that something very wrong had happened in
Algiers Point. In a
<http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/174800/rebecca_solnit_on_not_forgetting_new_orleans>report