[News] Israel's weapon of house demolitions

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Aug 26 11:10:31 EDT 2008

Israel's weapon of house demolitions

http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article9778.shtml
Jill Shaw writing from Beit Hanina, occupied West Bank, Live from
Palestine, 26 August 2008

The four-story building in Beit Hanina, a Palestinian neighborhood a
few miles north of East Jerusalem, was clearly home to wealth. As our
carload of internationals pulled up the small street leading to Abu
Majed Eisha's house at around midnight on 27 July, I noticed several
BMWs parked along the way. Upon exiting the car, we were greeted by a
number of middle-aged Palestinian men in suits, asking us if we were
there about the house demolition. From what I had learned during my
brief time in the West Bank, Palestine, I knew already that this was
not going to be an ordinary house demolition.

And what exactly is an "ordinary" home demolition in Israel and the
Occupied Palestinian Territories? According to Israeli Committee
Against House Demolitions (ICAHD) founder, Jeff Halper, house
demolitions are one of Israel's main weapons in its occupation of
Palestine. Sadly, this extraordinary and devastating phenomenon is
not at all uncommon to Palestinians. ICAHD, an Israeli group whose
primary mission is to resist Israel's practice of home demolitions,
states that 18,000 Palestinian homes have been demolished by Israel
since 1967. Additionally, another 22,000 East Jerusalem homes have
demolition orders on them. This does not include the thousands of
homes with demolition orders throughout the rest of the West Bank.

The reason for the destruction? Quite simply, the houses don't have
permits. And without a permit, your house is illegal, and therefore
subject to demolition. It is this bureaucratic logic that gives
Israel's practice of bulldozing Palestinian homes a veneer of
legitimacy, for, after all, only "illegal" houses are demolished.
Look a bit further, however, and it quickly becomes apparent that
building permits are nearly impossible for Palestinians to obtain, so
in fact, any new growth homes are usually illegal.

During my two weeks' participation in ICAHD's summer rebuilding
program, I heard the same story repeated countless times from
Palestinian residents of Anata, another East Jerusalem neighborhood.
Anata reminded me of photos of Afghanistan, marked as it was by piles
of rubble and half-demolished homes. Surrounded by this landscape,
Palestinians told of spending thousands of dollars over a period of
years applying for building permits with the Israeli authorities,
only to be denied repeatedly. Reasons for denial range from the
illogical to the outright absurd: permits were denied because the
land was zoned for agricultural purposes, though the land was pure
desert. In other cases, permits were withheld because the land was on
an inappropriately steep slope, though much of the land in Jerusalem,
both East and West, is on a steep slope. Does the moniker "city on a
hill" sound familiar?

Eventually, most Palestinians will build, or in Abu Eishah's case,
expand their homes, without a permit. This is why 22,000 families in
East Jerusalem go to bed at night knowing that they may awake the
next morning to find Israeli soldiers and bulldozers at their
doorstep. According to Salim Shawamreh, whose home in Anata was
demolished and rebuilt four times, police usually arrive before or at
dawn, while the family is still sleeping. Police and sometimes
military, depending on the home's location, will surround the house
and call for the family to come outside. If the family resists, the
police will forcefully remove the family, at which point, the
bulldozers will begin their work. Sometimes families are allowed to
quickly remove some or all of their possessions, and sometimes they are not.

When our group of 18 internationals, hearkening from as far afield as
Norway and Finland, America, Portugal and Spain, arrived at the site
in Beit Hanina, we learned that five families called it home. A large
family lived in the first two floors, while the top two floors each
contained two apartments. Residents of the building told us that the
first two floors were licensed, but that the top two were not. Abu
Eisha had tried unsuccessfully to obtain a permit to expand. When
that failed, he did what most Palestinians do -- he built anyway.
Rather than a fine, Abu Eisha received a demolition order, which he
had spent the last two years fighting against in court. On the
morning of 27 July, Abu Eisha also lost this battle when the court
finally handed down a definitive demolition order. Word spread
quickly. By the time our group arrived, about 80 of Abu Eisha's
friends and neighbors were gathered together inside the house,
smoking, drinking tea, and sharing stories of misery and insult
living under Israeli rule. After discussing what we would do if the
police came, some of us drifted off to sleep, hoping that we would
wake at a normal hour to a regular morning.

Instead, the warning call came at about 3:30am. A neighbor down the
main road had seen the police heading towards the house. Screams rang
out through the first floor to wake those who had been sleeping, and
a large group ran out of the house and down the small street to the
main road. Men rushed to tip over the large municipal trash dumpsters
on either side of the street leading up to the home, while others
rushed to park their cars zig-zag style up the street leading to Abu
Eisha's house. One could only wonder if the fury with which the
Israelis stormed the house was piqued by these vain attempts to block
their entry.

Soon, yelling erupted again. The municipal and border police had been
sighted coming down the main road. Everyone bolted back up to the
house. Within minutes, the Yamam police, the Israeli equivalent of a
SWAT team, stormed the house. The Yamam were dressed in full body
armor, faces masked in black, armed with American M-16s, and
accompanied by attack dogs. The only resistance offered by the
Palestinians against this onslaught was a few choruses of "God is
great." The first two floors of the building were quickly emptied,
with many Palestinians and activists being hit with batons or fists,
or worse, being kicked in the back while running away. Activists and
families from the upstairs apartments reported being similarly
treated, and were not allowed time to gather or retrieve any personal items.

Once outside, Palestinians were scrambling to get away from the house
and down to the main street while police continued to stream into the
house. The main street was crowded with dozens of police cars, a few
ambulances and bulldozers. As Palestinians and internationals from
ICAHD, the International Solidarity Movement, and Faculty for
Israeli-Palestinian Peace continued to pour into the street, Israeli
police cordoned off the area, aggressively forcing back those who did
not back up immediately. I saw one particularly brutal policeman rush
forward and punch a Norwegian woman in the face, the force of which
threw her to the ground.

Once the initial shock of being raided and thrown into the street in
the middle of the night had subsided, the muted drama of waiting
began. The police formed a human line in front of the street leading
to the house, presumably to block the residents and owners from being
freshly inflamed by any view of their homes being wired with
explosives. While the police held their line, chatting, laughing,
passing along water bottles to each other, the approximately 100
Palestinians in the street cried, consoled each other, and mainly
waited. A few gave interviews to the few press members who were on
the scene, including a Reuters reporter and a reporter from Palestine
Media. The one thing no one did was engage in violence of any kind.
When one young man started to walk towards the police with his belt
in hand, looking either like he was going to hurl a stone or lash one
of the police, a few of his elders rushed to him, embraced him, and
pulled him back away from the police. Each man had tears in his eyes.

When the call to prayer came before dawn, the men lined up in a neat
row and began praying, exactly opposite the line of police. The two
lines of people, one line of young Israeli men and women dressed in
full combat uniform with guns slung at their sides, and the other of
mostly middle-aged Palestinian men in civilian clothes, could not
have been staring across a wider divide, though they were only
separated by about 200 feet. Many of the praying men's eyes were
moist with tears, and I saw one man who had been kicked by a
policeman stumble to rise from his knees.

After the prayers ended, the waiting began again. A few bulldozers
pulled up, some police arrived on horses, and a UN jeep came and
went. Rabbi Arik Ascherman, Executive Director of Rabbis for Human
Rights, had managed to pass the roadblocks and arrived with copies of
Abu Eisha's building permit in hand. He offered the copies to a
number of disinterested police, and then fell back with the rest of
us to wait. The waiting lasted for about half a day. The estimated
300-400 police stood in one line chatting and laughing, occasionally
rushing forward to back up the crowd, mainly staring straight ahead.
The Palestinians milled about, hugged, cried and occasionally
screamed at the Israelis.

Those of us with ICAHD left the scene at about 9am, but were informed
later that evening that the house had indeed been demolished. Because
of its size, it was wired with explosives and blown up, rather than
bulldozed. The next day, I went to the former home of five
Palestinian families, and saw the gorgeous building I had visited
only two nights before lying in a hideous mass of rubble. Neighbors
and former residents were also there, processing this new reality. A
few of the trees alongside the erstwhile terrace were still standing
aside the wreckage. The planted flower beds lining the front of the
house remained as well, framing the sign the municipality had posted,
stating "Caution, Dangerous Building, Entry Forbidden," with a
cartoon picture of a man standing outside an unstable house that
looks as if it might fall on him.

Disregarding the sign, I climbed atop the rubble to fully absorb the
destruction. I saw a biology textbook diagramming the development of
a fetus, the red and white matching sofa set of the single mother who
had only just moved in, a stove still fully intact, and other objects
of domestic life. I also saw a Fatah party flag waving atop the metal
rods spiraling out of one of the fallen cement columns. As I moved to
snap a photo, five Israeli police, all of whom I recognized from the
morning before, arrived again, still fully armored and armed. As I
scrambled down from the building, two of the police climbed up,
scaled the cement pillar, and removed the flag. The Palestinians
could only shake their heads.

As I witnessed this, the same question from the morning before
repeated in my head: "How does any of this help ensure Israel's
security?" The simple answer is, it doesn't. But home demolitions,
like most aspects of Israeli policy in the Occupied Palestinian
Territories, have more to do with Israel's agenda of land acquisition
rather than its security. How could policies that humiliate, deprive,
confine and brutalize the Palestinians, leading to the diminishing of
options and a subsequent sense of despair, ever ensure the security
of Israel and its people? Though Israel routinely invokes "security"
as a catch-all rationale for its policies, it's hard to see the logic
of this argument in cases like the demolition of Abu Eisha's home.

However, from another lens, the demolition makes terrible sense.
Every Palestinian I met in Jerusalem spoke of the undeniable truth as
they experience it: Israel is making life economically and
emotionally impossible for Palestinians in order to squeeze them out
of the area. This is particularly true for Palestinians who remain in
coveted Jerusalem, and might explain why 22,000 East Jerusalem houses
have outstanding demolition orders. This is why Jeff Halper believes
that house demolitions are one of Israel's main weapons in its
arsenal of occupation. Demolish the home, demolish the family,
demolish the spirit, and maybe, just maybe, the people will follow.

Jill Shaw is an American living in San Francisco, where she works as
a criminal defense investigator. Shaw was in Palestine recently as a
participant in the Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions'
two-week summer rebuilding program.