[News] Return to Port-au-Prince

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Aug 28 12:18:09 EDT 2008

http://www.counterpunch.org/terrall08282008.html

August 28, 2008

"All the Time We are Hungry and Now We Have No One"

Return to Port-au-Prince

By BEN TERRALL

As I flew from JFK to Port-au-Prince Airport on
August 11, a fellow journalist handed me the
front section of that day’s New York Times with a
laugh.  My friend pointed to a passage in an
article about Russia’s war with Georgia that had prompted her bitter chuckling.

The piece quoted Ambassador Zalmay Khalizad of
the United States, who charged that the Russian
foreign minister had told Secretary of State
Condoleeza Rice “that the democratically elected
president of Georgia ‘must go.’” Khalizad
described the Russian’s comment as “completely unacceptable.”

Of course, Washington’s posturing as a beacon of
peace and freedom has become increasingly more
ludicrous as wars in Iraq and Afghanistan
continue with no end in sight and Bush explains
that we do not torture while testimony to the
contrary accumulates around the globe.  But the
U.S. role in supporting the February 29, 2004
rightist coup in Haiti makes the hypocrisy of
Khalizad’s statement especially galling.

The Bush Administration made it clear that
Haiti’s democratically-elected president
Jean-Bertrand Aristide had to go, then flew him
to the Central African Republic under U.S. Marine
Guard (as detailed in Randall Robinson’s
excellent book An Unbroken Agony) as a brutal
right-wing military takeover seized Aristide’s
homeland. The coup government, UN forces, and
anti-Aristide paramilitaries killed around 4,000
people in the next two years, according to a
study published in the prestigious British medical journal The Lancet.

Among the many pro-Aristide activists who were
forced into exile was the grassroots leader
Lovinsky Pierre-Antoine.  Lovinsky, a key figure
in the Port-au-Prince base of Aristide’s Lavalas
movement, returned to Haiti during the apparent
democratic opening after the 2006 election of President Rene Preval.

I saw Lovinsky speak in July 2007 at a
demonstration across from the headquarters of
MINUSTAH, the UN mission in Haiti.  The occasion
was the anniversary of the 1915 U.S. marine
takeover of the island nation.  Lovinsky led a
spirited crowd of around 50 Haitians, many
elderly.  The psychologist-turned-activist
forcefully read out a bill of indictment against
the UN:  MINUSTAH’s legitimizing the 2004 coup by
replacing the initial wave of U.S., French, and
Canadian troops, and propping up an illegal
government; UN troops engaging in massacres of
unarmed civilians; and carrying out a modern-day
colonial occupation  of Haiti.  As a few
reporters and activists taped audio or shot video
of this fiery speech, across Ave. John Brown at
the UN entrance a mix of uniformed and
plainclothes military representing a handful of
the countries participating in MINUSTAH clicked
away on digital cameras pointed at
Lovinsky.  This seemed a tactic of intimidation,
given the close operations the UN has conducted
with the notoriously brutal Haitian police (as
documented in reports from Harvard Law School and
the University of Miami Law School).  A few weeks
later, Lovinsky was abducted after meeting with a
human rights delegation from the U.S.  He hasn’t been heard from since.

August 12 was the one year anniversary of
Lovinsky’s disappearance.  I walked with a
sinking feeling to the demonstration
commemorating the sad day.  It was hard to
believe such an impressive, committed figure had
been missing for an entire year.  Between 150 and
200 demonstrators, many wearing t-shirts bearing
Lovinsky’s likeness, marched in a circle around
the statue of a man holding aloft a dove in the
center of the Plaza of the Martyrs.  Aristide
built the monument in memory of the thousands
killed in the first (U.S.-backed) coup against him of 1991-1994.

Lavalas activist Rene Civil, imprisoned on
trumped-up charges in 2006 but freed under a
conditional release after an international
campaign on his behalf, addressed the crowd.  He
said that Lovinsky’s disappearance was a threat
to Lavalas supporters, intended to stop them from
struggling for Aristide’s return.

As the demonstration wound through downtown
Port-au-Prince, several police vehicles
followed.  Police had already blocked off streets
near the Plaza of Martyrs, which protest
organizers claimed was done to discourage more
people from participating.   The police presence
as the march ended in front of the National
Palace was low-key, but  a jeep with six heavily
armed Brazilian troops was a bit more hostile.  I
took photos of them as one of them photographed me.

The next day I returned to the Palace of the
Martyrs, where the September 30th Foundation, a
group co-founded by Lovinsky to support
reparations and justice for victims of the 1991
coup, holds a protest at 11am every
Wednesday.  Since their leader (one member told
me, “we see Lovinsky as a father and a brother”)
has been abducted the primary focus of the weekly
action has been calling for the safe return of Lovinsky.

Edwidge (for her safety, a pseudonym), a woman
participating in the protest, told me “Lovinsky
used to help us.  All the time we’re hungry, now
we have no one.” She continued, “Lovinsky was not
a criminal.  We know when the wealthy are
kidnapped the government does everything it can
to recover the victim.  Lovinsky is not a dog,
not an animal.  He deserves the same treatment as
the wealthy people.  Give us a report.  If he’s
dead, give us the bones and we’ll bury him.”

Many of his supporters hold out hope that their
sorely-missed friend is alive.  The forty present
at the Wednesday protest sang political lyrics
set to traditional evangelical tunes (and, in  at
least one instance, a vodou song).  One roughly
translated as “The victims are asking for the
key/ give us the key so we can open the door of
justice/ who are we asking for? Lovinsky!”

In an interview later that day, human rights
lawyer Mario Joseph of the Bureau des Avocats
Internationaux (BAI) told me that in some ways
the current Preval Administration is “worse than
the interim [coup] government.”  Joseph said he
told the Haitian ambassador in Washington, “your
government needs to launch an investigation

[but] on Lovinsky, they don’t want to do
anything.” Joseph argues, “The Preval government
continues the policies of the Latortue [coup]
government,” and says most of those now in power
are holdovers from the illegal 2004-2006 government.

(A Lavalas activist who has worked with Aristide
since 1984 and who was diplomatic about Preval,
told me, “on the social and economic plane, we
can work with him.” But this member of the
National Cell for the Reflection of the
Grassroots, who was beaten so badly he had to be
hospitalized in prison under the 2004-2006
regime, said all “ministers, ambassadors, and
delegates” left over from the coup period are “criminals” who should be fired.)

Joseph’s family has had to relocate to Miami
because of death threats.  Noting that human
rights abusers he helped put behind bars under
Aristide had escaped prison after 2004, the
lawyer said, “They need to arrest people escaped
from jail.  My life is in danger.”

Meanwhile, Joseph remains extremely busy
defending prisoners, some of whom have been moved
to outlying regions he has a hard time getting
to.  Of the political prisoners still behind
bars, he said, “I have too much work to do, it’s
hard to keep track,” but that there “were more
than 100.”  Most high profile Lavalas figures
have been freed but many less well-known
progressive activists remain locked down.  Joseph
explained, they “had contact with the Lavalas
movement, that’s why they’re in jail.”  Some
think the number of political prisoners is
higher, given the many poor people picked up in
sweeps of “popular,” or pro-Lavalas,
neighborhoods.  (The majority of inmates in the
country’s overcrowded prisons have still not seen
a judge, though the Haitian constitution
stipulates that all prisoners must have access to
a judge within 48 hours of their arrest.)  Joseph
stressed the “really vague” nature of charges
made in such sweeps.  “They accused kids of being
gang members, bandits, and of ‘association with
malefactors,’ the same techniques as under [former dictator] Duvalier.”

Joseph filed a rape complaint against Sri Lankan
soldiers accused of sexually abusing Haitian
girls, but there was no prosecution.  The Sri
Lankans were shipped home.  To add insult to
injury, the UN presence has had a harshly
inflationary effect on rents and other basic
expenses.  UN SUVs are in evidence throughout
exclusive Port-au-Prince gated communities, but
UN money doesn’t trickle down to many of the
country’s poor majority, who are having a harder
and harder time surviving.  Several street
vendors perched in a heavily flooded corner of an
outdoor market in the city’s Lasaline
neighborhood told me the cost of a cup of rice
had doubled since the capital’s food riots of
April.  The vendors could no longer save
anything, and had no idea how they were going to
scrape together enough to pay school fees for
their kids in September. In the stagnant water at
their feet parasites were visible.  A health care
worker later confirmed a huge number of kids have worms in their bodies.

Ben Terrall is a freelance writer living in San
Francisco. He can be reached at: <mailto:bterrall at gmail.com>bterrall at gmail.com